Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,946,672 times

Advertisements

The funny thing is, that the ones we call heroes will be the first to deny the title. They are usually modest people who feel that they only did what they were hired to do, or what they volunteered to do, or what they felt was the right thing to do. Now that's a hero.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 09:07 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Exactly Gypsy, and they probably get tired of their faux-paus admirers who only jump in line to throw confetti around the special events held to honor them.

A good analogy is how so many folks flew the US Flag for a short while after 09-11-0I, then took it down after the fad wore off.

Old 09-03-2010, 10:10 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Exactly Gypsy, and they probably get tired of their faux-paus admirers who only jump in line to throw confetti around the special events held to honor them.

A good analogy is how so many folks flew the US Flag for a short while after 09-11-0I, then took it down after the fad wore off.

I lost over 30 friends that day ,, My flags fly 24/7

One country
One Language
One Flag ..

Old 09-04-2010, 04:53 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
Riverside4ever,

unfortunately , you have a reason to remember, to most its a fading memory in the past....My heartfelt condolences to you..

Old 09-04-2010, 02:49 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
My feeling guilty post:

I spoke with my husband about going to this event. He said if we had the money we would go, but he pointed out we made no plans for this long weekend because of that very fact. We have not attended any carnivals, fairs fests at all this past year. We do not drink, do not go to bars, and my one vice is cigarettes, which I am sure will be the death of me.

I truly feel bad...but guilt is not a reason to spend money we really don't have he reminded me. I thank God for my husband everyday and his level head and fore thought.

My husband proudly served this nation as a member of the United States Army, I supprted his career and was the best army wife I could be. adapting to whatever change his career threw our way. I stayed in Germany during his deployment to the first gulf war alone for 8 months with a one year old and two year old; simply because it was my duty to him to wait wherever the Army had us.

But we do not display the American Flag, not before nor after the 9/11 bombing. We are not flag waving types. I personally do not know all the proper rules for displaying a flag, although my husband does. The one I do know, having light on the flag at nighttime is not possible since we do not have a light system that would illuminate the flag.

I never thought displaying a flag was a the only way to demonstate patriotism. Being thanful and mindful of the freedoms we enjoy, doing our personal best to be good citizens, and passing down our gratitude to our children is how I show my love for our country!

We carry our patriotism and display it everyday words and in deeds. If we see someone in uniform, we take a minute to walk up to them, extend our hand and say thank you for your service. Prior to moving here, my husband was employed by Calverton National Cemetery, not the most attention getting or best paying job; but my husband felt honored to do it. He felt he was still contributing to the services. He love his job and would still be there if it was not my desire to raise our youngest in his home town, at a slower pace.

I applaud the fact that the orginizers took action to help the families of fallend heros. God bless them.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:20 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
My feeling guilty post:

I spoke with my husband about going to this event. He said if we had the money we would go, but he pointed out we made no plans for this long weekend because of that very fact. We have not attended any carnivals, fairs fests at all this past year. We do not drink, do not go to bars, and my one vice is cigarettes, which I am sure will be the death of me.

I truly feel bad...but guilt is not a reason to spend money we really don't have he reminded me. I thank God for my husband everyday and his level head and fore thought.

My husband proudly served this nation as a member of the United States Army, I supprted his career and was the best army wife I could be. adapting to whatever change his career threw our way. I stayed in Germany during his deployment to the first gulf war alone for 8 months with a one year old and two year old; simply because it was my duty to him to wait wherever the Army had us.

But we do not display the American Flag, not before nor after the 9/11 bombing. We are not flag waving types. I personally do not know all the proper rules for displaying a flag, although my husband does. The one I do know, having light on the flag at nighttime is not possible since we do not have a light system that would illuminate the flag.

I never thought displaying a flag was a the only way to demonstate patriotism. Being thanful and mindful of the freedoms we enjoy, doing our personal best to be good citizens, and passing down our gratitude to our children is how I show my love for our country!

We carry our patriotism and display it everyday words and in deeds. If we see someone in uniform, we take a minute to walk up to them, extend our hand and say thank you for your service. Prior to moving here, my husband was employed by Calverton National Cemetery, not the most attention getting or best paying job; but my husband felt honored to do it. He felt he was still contributing to the services. He love his job and would still be there if it was not my desire to raise our youngest in his home town, at a slower pace.

I applaud the fact that the orginizers took action to help the families of fallend heros. God bless them.
My ex was in the US Army too, and we were in Germany, in Bremerhaven, my second son was born there.

When i posted about the fair, i wasn't trying to make anyone feel bad, i just look at the turnout to the St Paddy's parade and all that fiasco and it just blew my mind. I don't know how they advertised the fair, i saw it on TV.

Old 09-04-2010, 03:48 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Oh no need to apologize, I was just stating my thoughts and as I said trying to release my guilt. It had nothing to do with anyone one post just my jumbled thoughts on this whole thread....sorry for the misunderstanding.

Btw...to all who served, serves this country in war and peace...TY...

Last edited by bloominscranton; 09-04-2010 at 03:49 PM.. Reason: additional thoughts

Old 09-05-2010, 06:59 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
Men who have served, and sometimes died, are not considered "heroes" by their brothers, family. Their passing will be noted and remembered by many..
Sorry but your wrong on this one...to us veterans the ones who didn't get to come home to their family ARE the REAL hero's not us...they gave all...the others were just lucky and grateful to come home and some were lucky because the REAL hero's stepped in and took the bullet, stepped on the landmine, etc., So don't take that away from them!!

Old 09-05-2010, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
I didn't know about the fair. Neither did a lot of other people. This is back-to-school time for many families requiring school clothes and shoes and supplies. The Wyoming County Fair is going on. Festa Italiana is this weekend. The economy is pitiful. Every school child is bringing home fund-raising information to sell "stuff" so the PT-A/-O can fund school activities. Some folks are fortunate enough to afford a few days vacation over the long weekend. And it won't be long before the Bloomsburg Fair. And let us not forget the annual begging fest that is the Muscular Dystrophy telethon. There is not an unlimited supply of money...or did they forget to send mine?

Mrs. Miller herself spoke very plainly about how many wonderful people offered support to her and her family and how much she appreciated all that was done for them, so the money that is being raised by this fair is not earmarked for Trpr. Miller's family, but for the families of all of the "fallen heroes" in the area.

Perhaps they waited too long to hold the fair. Maybe the late Spring or early Summer before everyone has spent what little disposable income they have on foolishness like, umm..., food, clothing, insurance, and other frivolity.?

I give where and what I can afford. I refuse to feel guilty because I missed this opportunity.
Very well said...this event needed more publicity...I didn't know about it till the original poster started the thread to complain about something that wasn't handled properly by the organizers...so the public shouldn't be blamed...

Old 09-05-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree....the bumper sticker comment was actually pathetic. If "varmintblaster" is so critical of the use of the word "hero," maybe he should join the military and "jump on a grenade" and show 'em how its done...
Agree with this post also...it's obvious Mr. Varmintblaster has never served in the military since he couldn't answer his question about holding down a grenade...real veterans don't think twice about it...the brotherhood and camaraderie that is formed in the military can never be and will never be understood by those who haven't served in the military...whether it be active or reserve...it should be mandatory to serve in the military once a person reaches the age of 18 as it is in Israel...maybe we wouldn't have such lazy ass, video game loving couch potatoes at home that parent's have no problem supporting and encouraging!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania