Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 12:31 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,365 times

Advertisements

There's a site called "BUGMENOT" which offers passwords to get into news sites, and there's also a Firefox extension which does it automatically.
Most times, if you go to a news site via Google news, etc. you don't need a password, so I would search on google for a particular story, most times it's on more than one site. But if you need to get into a particular site, I would try the above.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 05:31 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J5K5LY View Post
I get google alerts in my email every day on a variety of topics. Most are newpaper articles. When I follow the links, some will not allow me to see the article because it is a pay site. I do get to the paper, but not the article so perhaps they can say that was a "hit" for advertising costs?
Most advertising is based on per click, you click the ad and the ad publisher gets paid X amount. X amount could be a few pennies to some really large numbers. I've had single clicks generate upwards of $4 and I know of others who have generated more. It could also be like traditional advertising where they are paying based on the exposure for a pre-determined set amount.

Anything in Googles search directory should be the exact same thing the public sees. Sites not showing the same content to the public as they do to Google or other SE's are engaging in a practice known as cloaking, this can get your site banned from the Google index which of course is a bad thing.

I know they have some slightly different rules for news content, I believe you should get at least one page for free. If you think the site is engaging in deceptive practices contact Google, they are quite responsive to making sure the links and summaries they are serving are what you expect to see when viewing the page. If the site is cloaking their content there is really good chance they'll get the boot.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:05 AM

13 posts, read 26,143 times
That paper only makes you dumber anyway!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:19 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
I just got the notification at the PR’s web site. They want almost $250 for a years online subscription ($4.75/week). They only want about $215/year for both the hard copy paper and online subscriptions. The paper alone is even cheaper.
I have a feeling that they will loose many online followers.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:23 PM

99 posts, read 234,992 times
I wonder if headlines will still be viewable. It's nice to know when there's a tornado warning or a major crash affecting traffic down that way if I'm thinking about heading down there. Besides that, I'm not usually too concerned. No one covers anything that happens in Pike, anyway. I always find myself wondering what happened with crashes or fires that I hear dispatches for, and never read about it in any of the papers. Still wondering about that plane crash near 84 in Matamoras/Milford on Sunday. Guess we'll never know.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:59 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I just got the notification at the PR’s web site. They want almost $250 for a years online subscription ($4.75/week). They only want about $215/year for both the hard copy paper and online subscriptions. The paper alone is even cheaper.
I have a feeling that they will loose many online followers.
Hi fisheye,

Can you specify where you got this notification or where you saw this at the PR site? I can't find it.

Thanks.

Old 09-28-2010, 04:40 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
Hi fisheye,

Can you specify where you got this notification or where you saw this at the PR site? I can't find it.

Thanks.
JamMan,

It just popped up when I went to view an article. Then; I hit register to find out how much they wanted. I guess you could call them. It is unbelievable that they want so much for the online publication.

By the way; when I went to the Grass Roots web site: http://grassrootspa.com/ I hit on their link to the PR. That opened and did not ask me to register. Perhaps it is just going in through the back door? Or; It might count as one of the first tries in three that they (the PR) allow you per month for non-subscribers?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:45 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,137,741 times
I hope they go out of business ,, They have balls to charge for their online service , I bet the people who advertise there will see a drop in action from the net and complain.. I predict its free again within 6 months .

Old 09-29-2010, 08:28 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,141,385 times
I predict its free again within 6 months - You're probably right!!

Old 09-29-2010, 09:15 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,656,665 times
Its not going to work in this economy. You can't take something that was "free" information and start charging $200 for it. People won't go for it. So perhaps its free again in way less then six months.
There was a newspaper in Florida that tried to charge, and I just went to another news rather then deal with it online.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania