Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2010, 09:38 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,125,439 times

Advertisements

There is a little deli on Route 11 in Carlisle PA that used to make what they called a “grinder”. Their grinder was a sandwich or a hoagie roll with cheese melted on the meat - then the lettuce, tomatoes, good onions and usually flavorful (spice) oil and vinegar dressing were added. I haven’t been down there for eight years - so I do not know if it is the same (the deli was called The Sandwich Man).

Larry’s Giant Subs in GA and FLA also makes a sandwich similar to the Sandwich Man. They just call their subs hot subs and their sandwiches melts. They are still in business: http://www.larryssubs.com/ If you hit on their hot sub menu; you can see some of the sandwiches that I am talking about. However; seeing the ingredients and tasting are entirely different. They know how to put it together.

I am posting this because I am curious if any delis in our area have just the right combinations to qualify as a grinders or melts? It has to be the right combination of bread, meats, cheese and dressing to make it all come together. Even the right onions can make or break the right combination. If you have ever had one, that is made right; you would also search for more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 12:19 PM

159 posts, read 318,106 times
Pizza by Pappas in Downtown Scranton has grinders. I never had one and I don't know exactly how they are made, but I know they call them grinders.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:46 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,142,011 times
A little grinder history I thought you guys might find interesting:

Grinder (Italian-American slang for a dock worker) — New England (grahyn-der or grahyn-dah), Inland Empire of Southern California.[4] Called grinder due to the fact that it took a lot of chewing to eat the hard crust of the bread used. In parts of Pennsylvania, the terms grinder and hoagie are both used, with the term grinder referring to a sandwich that has been heated up.

The above can be found here:

Submarine sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2010, 12:47 PM

A little grinder history I thought you guys might find interesting:

Grinder (Italian-American slang for a dock worker) — New England (grahyn-der or grahyn-dah), Inland Empire of Southern California.[4] Called grinder due to the fact that it took a lot of chewing to eat the hard crust of the bread used. In parts of Pennsylvania, the terms grinder and hoagie are both used, with the term grinder referring to a sandwich that has been heated up.

The above can be found here:

Submarine sandwich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 09-12-2010, 12:57 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
I love the hard crust and soft in the middle. Fisheye, the place you posted looks great, i might just try it.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:13 PM

sues1,
The link that I posted is a chain in Florida and Georgia. I know that there is one at the 49 mile marker on I 95 in Darien, Georgia - that is the one that I used to stop at. There has to be some delis in our area that make these sandwiches/hoagies? I do know that many delis will heat your sandwich if you ask. That is not the same. The delis, that have perfected this, really blend the flavors together. I found a Italian deli on the north side of Waterbury, Connecticut that also had their act together.
I used to get cups of boiled peanuts at the truck stop in Darien. I wish that somebody up here would offer boiled peanuts. They are a little messy; but good.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:21 PM

203 posts, read 577,151 times
Go to Danville or Sunbury, they're called a Cosmo. Danville Sub Shop or Sunbury Sub Shop...they are owned by the same family, cousins, but family. Yummy! Sounds like what you are talking about. Also, ask for them "in the garden."

Old 09-12-2010, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I found a Italian deli on the north side of Waterbury, Connecticut that also had their act together.
I was just up there yesterday for a fundraiser for a family member suffering from cancer...

Old 09-12-2010, 02:32 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
sues1,
The link that I posted is a chain in Florida and Georgia. I know that there is one at the 49 mile marker on I 95 in Darien, Georgia - that is the one that I used to stop at. There has to be some delis in our area that make these sandwiches/hoagies? I do know that many delis will heat your sandwich if you ask. That is not the same. The delis, that have perfected this, really blend the flavors together. I found a Italian deli on the north side of Waterbury, Connecticut that also had their act together.
I used to get cups of boiled peanuts at the truck stop in Darien. I wish that somebody up here would offer boiled peanuts. They are a little messy; but good.
OHhhhhh, i thought they were around here, oh well, next time i go down that way, i will stop. If i ever go down that way again,,,,,lololol.

Old 09-12-2010, 05:05 PM

WatsonWest,
I don’t get out to Danville too often. However; my eye surgeon is out there and it is time for a visit. I’ll have to check out your Cosmos.
I started this thread with hopes of some people coming forward and talking about good local delis. I am hoping that somebody knows of one closer to me (in Swiftwater). There is also the flip side of this: Possibly more delis will offer sandwiches such as the grinders and melts?
DavidWebb,
Sorry to hear about your family member. I hope that everything works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania