Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 01:01 PM

122 posts, read 371,205 times

Advertisements

I also have a vacation home in a lake community in Pike County.
OP: Think about what is important to you and your family. We wanted a lakefront home on a swimable quiet lake. We did not want a community with a pool(we can swim in a pool at our year round house). Pools add $$ to community dues. We wanted a community with activities for children.
We found what we were looking for and our home is perfect for our use. Our community is not gated, we did not have to ask permission to paint our house or pay the community to add an addition on. Yes... we have a security force and thankfully they make sure people obey the speed limit and follow the rules. They also do house checks(at no charge) for any part time homeowner. It is good to know that if a tree comes down on our house in a windstorm, we will be notified.
There are some very vocal posters on this board who constantly tell people to stay away from communities(gated or not). I'll repeat myself... Think about what is important to you and your family.

Our community is perfect for our needs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 01:18 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,805,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Why do you need neighbors to watch your place when your away ? Is the community having problems with break ins? Or is security too busy with their radar guns writing tickets for going 3 mph over the speed limits .
I totally get it that you do not like communities. But please respect the fact that it is what some people want. I like that my neighbour is keeping an eye on my house incase he sees smoke coming from the windows, in case a tree falls on top of a window etc.

We are at the end of the community and are away from the busy areas. I like it that way because it is quiet.

As I said before, in a perfect place we would all have what we want and like. Right now, I am not there so this is what works for us.

Our community is not having problems with breakins that I am aware of.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM

232 posts, read 612,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
fwiw, since you mentioned swimming, Wallenpaupack is a beautiful lake that we love visiting but it is a power boating lake and not very swimmer friendly. I believe swimming is virtually forbidden except for one small beach area.

You can swim anywhere in the lake, it is not "forbidden". If you are looking for a "beach" to swim at, there is one with a lifeguard near the top of the lake.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:37 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,829,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo Bloe View Post
You can swim anywhere in the lake, it is not "forbidden". If you are looking for a "beach" to swim at, there is one with a lifeguard near the top of the lake.
yes one (or two?) small beaches; and I believe you must pay?? ppl owns most of the shore line and you are "forbidden" from swimming at all ppl recreation areas.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:30 AM

232 posts, read 612,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
yes one (or two?) small beaches; and I believe you must pay?? ppl owns most of the shore line and you are "forbidden" from swimming at all ppl recreation areas.

Not sure if there is a fee for the Wilsonville beach.

Yes, PPL owns most (all ?) of the shoreline but really most of it is residential and you wouldn't be able to swim in anyone's backyard anyway. I guess to clarify; there might not be many public places to swim from the shoreline (other then the few beach areas) but swimming is not "forbidden" in the lake. If you have a boat, you can swim from the boat anywhere on the lake.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:08 AM

13 posts, read 26,161 times
I lived in Lower Bucks County and had a home in a gated community in Pocono Lake for three years before moving here.I am not really sure how much I can say to you as I am a realtor and not really sure what this forum allows me to say opinion wise. They may think I am trying to solicit business or something. If you want my personal opinions on all areas you indicated ( I know all of them) please feel free to DM me. I will be happy to offer what I know.

Old 09-24-2010, 09:02 PM

889 posts, read 2,575,277 times
Quote:
Jim Thorpe area .. its a quaint historic little town . It is what it is ..
Comment on Jim Thorpe: It's also turned in to a destination for urban refugees from the NYC metro area.

Even the 'quaint' businesses seem to be catering to this demographic. Example: The old-time hunting and fishing store on the main street closed up recently and something else is replacing it. What I'm trying to say is the pendulum is swinging away from the pure local flavor, and swinging toward catering to 'what urban refugees expect to see in a quaint little town two hours away from the urban area'. It's a subtle difference, but noticeable.

Old 09-25-2010, 07:15 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,908 times
Unfortunately, small towns like Jim Thorpe are not exempt from the economic downturn and in Jim Thorpe's case they depend on those "urban refugees" from the big cities to survive because a lot of them come out here with money to spend on a good time either river rafting, kayaking, mountain biking, dining, or any other activity the area has to offer...and the storefronts you see changing owners is most likely being taken over by the same "urban refugees" keen to what the surrounding area has to offer and catering to that crowd...so their being pretty business savvy in that respect in that they recognize what people come out here for and are willing to provide that service...small towns like Jim Thorpe need these types of investments and business's if they expect to survive and attract a hip younger crowd that has the financial resources to come out and help the local economy move forward...it's whats helped Jim Thorpe, for example, to prosper even in our current economic downturn...

Old 09-25-2010, 07:50 AM

487 posts, read 1,375,435 times
I believe that HOA rules can vary widely between communities. In our community, there seem to be few restrictions about what you can or cannot do, shy of opening an auto repair business on your front lawn. It's a very quiet life and people seem to mind their business. Also, you do not necessarily have to pay high HOA dues. It all depends on what the amenities are. More amenities = higher dues. So, shop carefully and be sure about what your needs are regarding amenities.

Old 09-25-2010, 02:18 PM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,690 times
Quote:
Great area's But Both are community's .. Ive lived in a few , They all stink.. We own a tract of land now and would NEVER EVER buy in a community , . You can do as you wish but I would suggest you buy a house outside of one.. Go a little further north , Its MUCH nicer past Hamlin where 196/191 becomes 296
if you've lived in a "few" communities it must not have been too bad or, did you just keep making the same mistake over and over?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania