Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 06:37 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,751 times

Advertisements

Well, given today's economic realities I doubt it will come to fruition.

btw - the NJ Governor cancelled the new rail tunnel project into NYC the other day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2010, 06:53 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,848,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Well, given today's economic realities I doubt it will come to fruition.

btw - the NJ Governor cancelled the new rail tunnel project into NYC the other day.
And these trains would go to Hoboken not NY Penn you would have to switch in Dover or @ Newark Board Street Station for NY Trains.

Old 10-08-2010, 07:17 PM

That wasn't my point.

I think most states (esp PA & NJ) have their hands full trying to maintain present day services without falling further and further into a sea of red. The dangling fruit of Federal matching $'s is no longer as much of an enticement that it used to be.

If NJ just pulled the plug on a tunnel project where the ridership demand is high, I highly doubt it is going to spend any further money to reach out to NEPA.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
That wasn't my point.

I think most states (esp PA & NJ) have their hands full trying to maintain present day services without falling further and further into a sea of red. The dangling fruit of Federal matching $'s is no longer as much of an enticement that it used to be.

If NJ just pulled the plug on a tunnel project where the ridership demand is high, I highly doubt it is going to spend any further money to reach out to NEPA.
Actually Christie is now trying to compromise now , hopefully push the Amtrak plan over the NJT plan. The whole line would cost that much and would generate big $$$ for your region. New Dense Developments in Stroudsburg , Scranton and Binghamton. Public Transit like roads never operates in the green except parts of Amtrak. If you knew more about the NJ Project you would know its flawed...... There hasn't been a negative thing for any other new line that opened in the Northeast , mostly spurred New Developments and not the sprawly kind. I have a feeling just like the other naysayers once this project is up and running u'll be silent....

Old 10-08-2010, 09:07 PM

I'll be stunned into silence when Christie finally pries 1.5% out of the greedy NJ teacher's union to help stop the fiscal bloodshed.
Regarding Amtrak, once again, your claims of overall profitability are far from the truth and I notice you have no interest in discussing specifics.

As far as Stroudsburg and its surrounding areas, it has already been ruined.

It doesn't affect me personally, the trains won't bring the trash to my neighborhood.

Old 10-08-2010, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I'll be stunned into silence when Christie finally pries 1.5% out of the greedy NJ teacher's union to help stop the fiscal bloodshed.
Regarding Amtrak, once again, your claims of overall profitability are far from the truth and I notice you have no interest in discussing specifics.

As far as Stroudsburg and its surrounding areas, it has already been ruined.

It doesn't affect me personally, the trains won't bring the trash to my neighborhood.
Well maybe if the citizens of NEPA actually starting getting involved in there towns and cities they wouldn't be so trashy. Amtrak Empire line , Keystone , Northeast Regional , Acela and Downeaster stay in the green. Its typical NJ Politics with the Tunnel project. The Train will be to expensive for the lower class to use , the lower class rarely using NJT Rail for commuting only buses. You can blame cheap MARTZ or whatever bus service for the lower income problem. How about you focus on the multiple positives that this project will bring. The problem in this country is we tend to lock on the negatives , and that is what is destroying is.....

Old 10-09-2010, 07:37 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Actually Christie is now trying to compromise now , hopefully push the Amtrak plan over the NJT plan. The whole line would cost that much and would generate big $$$ for your region. New Dense Developments in Stroudsburg , Scranton and Binghamton. Public Transit like roads never operates in the green except parts of Amtrak. If you knew more about the NJ Project you would know its flawed...... There hasn't been a negative thing for any other new line that opened in the Northeast , mostly spurred New Developments and not the sprawly kind. I have a feeling just like the other naysayers once this project is up and running u'll be silent....

Who says that we want DENSE DEVELOPMENTS here in NEPA?

Please explain to me what type of a "dense development" isn't considered sprawl?

Mod cut - rude remark

Nexis you seem to be a decent kid and are passionate about it for sure, but you live in an upper middle to high class area of NJ with your parents and I think your still in HS, so what makes you think that your qualified to tell us what would be or bad for our region?

You haven't lived long enough to know what really is a good or bad thing in life, your sheltered from the real world just by your age and demographics.

You have no idea about cost and increased household costs really affect families and the fact that you seem to think that the states can just reach out and pull millions from the money without it affecting anyone is ludicrous and insane.

You seem to have no concept of money and that is scary. Maybe you should run this by your folks and see if they wouldn't mind paying more taxes and increased cost of living to foot the bill for a train project that rivals the Bridge to Nowhere in Scranton and Alaska.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-09-2010 at 01:04 PM..

Old 10-10-2010, 04:02 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Who says that we want DENSE DEVELOPMENTS here in NEPA?

Please explain to me what type of a "dense development" isn't considered sprawl?
You're kidding me, Dan, right? How can you not know the difference between "dense development" and "urban sprawl?" A good example of dense development would be the restoration of the Connell Building into lofts, offices, and retail space or the rehabilitation of the 500-block of Lackawanna Avenue into a mixture of lofts, restaurants, and stores. A good example of sprawl would be the armpit they call South Abington Township, where you see nothing but sidewalk-less cul-de-sacs and McMansions for mile after mile, mostly housing ex-Scrantonians.

If you want to see how transit-oriented development works, then I suggest you study up on Arlington, VA, just across the river from DC.

Smart Growth : Planning Division : Arlington, Virginia

People there had the same apprehensions people in Scranton have now about a new commuter rail line into the DC, and now Arlington is one of the most desirable suburbs in the nation. Scranton, too, could be a very desirable suburb of NYC (or maybe "exurb" would be a better term for it) if it adopted Arlington's lead. Arlington is a perfect example of what a rail line CAN and SHOULD do for a community. Why can't Scranton be the next Arlington? Why are so many of you so persistent on wanting to keep Scranton an armpit like Flint or Gary?

Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
If you want to see how transit-oriented development works, then I suggest you study up on Arlington, VA, just across the river from DC.

Smart Growth : Planning Division : Arlington, Virginia

People there had the same apprehensions people in Scranton have now about a new commuter rail line into the DC, and now Arlington is one of the most desirable suburbs in the nation. Scranton, too, could be a very desirable suburb of NYC (or maybe "exurb" would be a better term for it) if it adopted Arlington's lead. Arlington is a perfect example of what a rail line CAN and SHOULD do for a community. Why can't Scranton be the next Arlington? Why are so many of you so persistent on wanting to keep Scranton an armpit like Flint or Gary?
You failed to mention a couple of facts:

Distance between Arlington,Va & D.C. = 10 miles or less
Distance between Scranton,Pa & NYC = approx 120 miles

The transporation infrastructure (as well as the jobs) within/surrounding DC is heavily(if not completely) subsidized by Federal Govt Dollars.

If it was not for DC, Arlington Va. would be swamplands.

Old 10-10-2010, 05:26 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Who said that I wanted either one of the two.

BLah Blah Blah Blah.....Really don't have anything else for ya.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania