Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:19 PM

120 posts, read 225,817 times

Advertisements

Bottom line...none of this moves an inch forward until the NJ side of the track is rebuilt. NJT has never been very keen on extending service to Scranton...when they did their "official" study NJT estimated that less than 10 people a day would commute from Scranton to NYC...(which is BS if you ask me) I think they would have 20-30 a day just going to NYC to visit and at least double that to commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2010, 04:33 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,851,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhs93 View Post
Bottom line...none of this moves an inch forward until the NJ side of the track is rebuilt. NJT has never been very keen on extending service to Scranton...when they did their "official" study NJT estimated that less than 10 people a day would commute from Scranton to NYC...(which is BS if you ask me) I think they would have 20-30 a day just going to NYC to visit and at least double that to commute.
Its under construction as we speak , the NJ side is a mess though but its not costing that much to restore. Should be restored to East Stroudsburg by 2012.

Old 10-21-2010, 04:48 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
I've got at least one old color Lackawanna RR timetable (I believe from 1954), and also a small book from that era of how they survived a big flood (in the 50's). I'm going to have to scan these very soon and put them on my site. I also have some of the newer ones (Erie-Lackawanna) from after 1960 but still with multiple Scranton-Hoboken runs daily. I'm also sure I have a 50's Lehigh Valley RR schedule with trains from NY-Wilkes-Barre.
This was once a very proud region and had a lot to offer, transportation-wise. Many of the lines/tracks are gone now. At least the Scranton service is the best bet to happen first, over extending the CNJ to Allentown, and the SEPTA line from Philly to the Bethlehem area, neither of which are in any condition of moving forward right now, as I see it. Sure, the population is half what it was in the 30's in NEPA, and cars rule, but there's definitely becoming more and more a market for this for many reasons already posted on the threads in this forum .

Old 10-21-2010, 07:59 PM

232 posts, read 347,475 times
Frank can you PM me your site?

Old 10-22-2010, 09:42 AM

120 posts, read 225,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWBFAN View Post
Frank can you PM me your site?
ditto...I would be interested in seeing those schedules...that was before my time...It's nice to see some things from the past that show what this area was and what it can be again. So many people take what this area has to offer for granted...it's sad.

Old 10-23-2010, 07:32 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
ofhs93 and SWBFAN --
I have not scanned these timetables yet but it's next to do on my to-do list, and I did actually locate them all in the past few days to get ready to do so, but not the 1955 "Lackawanna Flood Story" picture booklet-- seems that one went missing so far.
My site: Frank's Photography Site
has a lot of pix from the Erie-Lackawanna in the NJ suburbs from 1969-71 and a bunch of stuff from all over the US so far, but I'm going to add a section for old timetables in the next few days or so too, so I will post back when I have these online.

Old 10-24-2010, 10:26 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
Its under construction as we speak , the NJ side is a mess though but its not costing that much to restore. Should be restored to East Stroudsburg by 2012.
Nexis,

I hate to be the cold water in your face. I wish that I had your optimistic view on rail service. Rail service lasted as long as it did because of subsidies - we need businesses that can stand on their own two feet. The Delaware Water Gap is the concrete boot on the swimmer’s foot - three floods in a year over the tracks and the 120 year old Peterskill Bridge (in desperate need of replacement). “S” turns in the existing tracks that are not the best for high speed service.

Rail service worked years ago because the Interstates were not built. The lines slowly shut down afterwards.

For any grand plan to work today we need a national grand scheme. We should also address all of the issues. What good is it to build below flood plane? What good is it to use bridges that do not allow expansion of the interstates? What good is it to plan anything if we do not have the cooperation of anybody?

Many call for the end of the world in 2012. Right now; I think that would probably be a week before the rail service to Stroudsburg will be reinstated.

Old 10-24-2010, 02:31 PM

232 posts, read 347,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhs93 View Post
ditto...I would be interested in seeing those schedules...that was before my time...It's nice to see some things from the past that show what this area was and what it can be again. So many people take what this area has to offer for granted...it's sad.

Thank you sir.

Old 10-24-2010, 03:47 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,781,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
ofhs93 and SWBFAN --
I have not scanned these timetables yet but it's next to do on my to-do list, and I did actually locate them all in the past few days to get ready to do so, but not the 1955 "Lackawanna Flood Story" picture booklet-- seems that one went missing so far.
My site: Frank's Photography Site
has a lot of pix from the Erie-Lackawanna in the NJ suburbs from 1969-71 and a bunch of stuff from all over the US so far, but I'm going to add a section for old timetables in the next few days or so too, so I will post back when I have these online.
Loved the pics, my dad did alot of work at the Morris County Central Railroad in the late 60's and 70's, he used to work with Earl Gil, ever hear of him?

Old 10-24-2010, 04:52 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,137,228 times
Frank,

I also wanted to thank you for the link to the site.

That picture you have posted of the Erie-Lackawanna freight train crossing the Delaware is a great picture. However; it does not show the condition of the historic Peterskill Bridge. That bridge I was told was built in 1929. It was a masterpiece of engineering for that time. It has lasted 81 years (if my completion date is correct). It is also the bane of every commuter this side of the Delaware.

Ask anybody and they will tell you that Route 80 should be six lanes from PA Route 380 to where NJ’s six lanes start at the four mile marker. The Peterskill has narrow shoulders - it would never allow the expansion of 80. 80 does have shoulders going under the bridge - but it does not have the height necessary for modern trucking.

Then; we have had three floods in one years time - where the tracks along the Delaware were under water. Counting on tracks in a flood plane is not wise. If we want transportation we can count on; we need to build higher.

If you ever get a chance to go down PA 611 to Portland; stop and take some close-ups of the bridge. This is not minor renovation.

I still think that we national leadership to force all parties to come together - PA, NJ, the Bridge Commission and the railroad companies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania