Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2010, 09:30 AM

9,846 posts, read 22,677,486 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
rugerjitsu,

Why are you getting angry (red) trying to educate us? We are just searching for answers on possible problems?

As long as you have all the answers: How many bridges have had reduced weight limits in this shale drilling area? Are there ways around these bridges? Is the industry willing to repair any damage they do to our infrastructure or environment? Would they be willing to post a bond or have tax taken out in escrow?
The local gas companies around where I live have been tearing roads to pieces into something that looks like it's out of Kazakhstan.

However they have been rebuilding them over time, paid for by the gas companies. That's the deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2010, 09:43 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
The local gas companies around where I live have been tearing roads to pieces into something that looks like it's out of Kazakhstan.

However they have been rebuilding them over time, paid for by the gas companies. That's the deal.
wanneroo,

Thanks; but that is and isn’t the problem that I am talking about. In especially the last year; PA brdge inspectors have been reducing the weight limits on many bridges. Here, in Monroe County, they are up to about a dozen bridges that now have lower weight limits (because of their deplorable condition). Many of these are on heavy use secondary roads. There are also other bridges that will be downgraded in the next few years.

I guess what I am getting at is: It gets harder to even have a legal route from a well to the disposal area. This is not only a problem for the drillers; it is a problem for all trucking. In many cases; our State has not even posted the new weight limits. Trucks hauling drilling equipment and trucks hauling waste water are very heavy - that is the name of the game. I am just trying to fit this all into the grand scheme of things.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
It kind of reminds me of the old burning slag mountains. After the profit is gone; the companies are sold or go out of business - who is stuck with the tab for cleanup?
Well right now current coal companies, it will be many decades but slowly they are reclaiming these abandoned sites with a tax collected for every ron of coal mined. Pennsylvania stands to receive a lot of these funds as it has so many sites.

Old 09-30-2010, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Want a comparison of ground water contamination? Look at Sandvik Steel and Beloit in Waverly Pa...and that gallonage was a drop in the ocean compared to what the drillers are pumping into the ground!!
What are we comparing here? Different chemicals and different quantities are going to have different levels of toxicity. Sounds to me like your trying to compare a known bad situation to one that is unknown.

I don;t know what it is but you need to know what the threat is, simply because they pumping chemicals into the ground doesn't mean it's going to be harmful.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
I don;t know what it is but you need to know what the threat is, simply because they pumping chemicals into the ground doesn't mean it's going to be harmful.

LOL, Im sorry , but when I read that, I pictured George W Bush saying it.

Lets put it this way. would you be willing to take a shot glass of the chemical soup, mix it with a gallon of water and drink it??

Im sorry , but I have a working background in industrial chemistry, and I dont buy it for a moment that the swill they are pumping in and not recovering is not going to be harmful in some way shape or form, in either the short or long term.

Old 09-30-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Lets put it this way. would you be willing to take a shot glass of the chemical soup, mix it with a gallon of water and drink it??
Firstly these chemicals are going to be disbursed into billions if not tillions of gallons of water. Having said that if you can tell me as fact this is going to be harmful to me I'll pass on the drink. You're making assumptions and you can't tell me that.

Old 09-30-2010, 11:21 PM

Ok, a little background on me. I worked for 15 years in the testing labs of several metals industry companies, I worked with the chemicals that are common to the industries, did I work with fracking? , no, but from my knowledge of the industry, let me venture this hypothesis, the slurry they are pumping into the ground consists of solvents, surfactants , and chelating agents, all of which i am very familiar with, , trust me , you dont want them in your water table.. chemicals are measured in PPM, parts per million, Or PPB parts per billion, trust me, when those chemicals are measured in those percentages, you should worry.

Old 10-01-2010, 04:21 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Ok, a little background on me. I worked for 15 years in the testing labs of several metals industry companies, I worked with the chemicals that are common to the industries, did I work with fracking? , no, but from my knowledge of the industry, let me venture this hypothesis, the slurry they are pumping into the ground consists of solvents, surfactants , and chelating agents, all of which i am very familiar with, , trust me , you dont want them in your water table.. chemicals are measured in PPM, parts per million, Or PPB parts per billion, trust me, when those chemicals are measured in those percentages, you should worry.
johnqpublic,

I just wanted also say that I have worked for 6 years in the chemical industry and have worked a company spill team. I am not any chemist. However; I do have some working knowledge of chemicals and the possible human side effects.

There is one problem that not that many people talk about and that is individual tolerance. That can vary from one subject to another. Take formaldehyde; some people are oblivious, some are irritated and some people will turn blue and almost stop breathing. I saw that happen to twelve of us years ago. We were in an area that had a formaldehyde spill. One woman could not breath and had to be rushed to the hospital. We were all exposed to about the same concentrations. Some of us even went back into the area to assist in the cleanup.

From working a spill team I know that it is extremely hard to predict how exposure will affect anybody. I also know that immediate exposure and reaction cannot predict future reaction (or cancers).

Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 AM

1,895 posts, read 3,416,198 times
Quote:
rugerjitsu,

Why are you getting angry (red) trying to educate us? We are just searching for answers on possible problems?

As long as you have all the answers: How many bridges have had reduced weight limits in this shale drilling area? Are there ways around these bridges? Is the industry willing to repair any damage they do to our infrastructure or environment? Would they be willing to post a bond or have tax taken out in escrow?
hey! i'm hardly angry, and will be first to admit that I don't have all the answers...

i don't know a thing about the bridges, but I do know of at least one company that has been fixing the roads they are traveling on, and also trying to minimized the traveling and moving of rigs during the winter months when most damage is done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
I grew up in that area, that's a load of crap. Most likely your "resident friend" was probably talking about being drunk and lighting up gas in a jug. That's just a ridiculous comment. I am not saying that drilling is good or bad (although I am not sure how a fairly untouched rural area CAN'T be ill effected by drilling but I digress), but the lower south/western part of Susquehanna has fantastic drinking water. I miss it!
she was talking about a jug of water, and lighting it on fire. look, there's methane in many water wells up there, and this methane is being identified prior to drilling.

Old 10-01-2010, 06:25 AM

Rugerjitsu'

I am state certed in hazmat myself, we call the unknowns methyl ethyl death... an interesting aside, smokers are constantly appx 20% to level of carbon monoxide poisoning!!!! supports your stance on individual tolerances!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania