Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,139,671 times

Advertisements

Thats Funny ,

Nurses are awesome , seems that you are just SOUR over something ..

My Mother In Law is a LPN and makes $18.75 an hr working in a nursing home , Great benefits and some overtime is always available . She is also a Senior Citizen and works 50 hrs a week .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2010, 08:29 PM

99 posts, read 172,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Thats Funny ,

Nurses are awesome , seems that you are just SOUR over something ..

My Mother In Law is a LPN and makes $18.75 an hr working in a nursing home , Great benefits and some overtime is always available . She is also a Senior Citizen and works 50 hrs a week .
Funny? You find abusive workplaces funny?

Who said nurses weren't awesome? It's the field that's terrible. Perhaps there are SOME awesome nurses. When did I deny that?

However, I want to make a point. Anyone with a strong amount of self respect doesn't remain in this field.

If you think $18.75/hr is something to brag about, you better think again lol. Your poor MIL is a senior citizen busting her butt, picking up immobile seniors, wiping anuses and genitals, and running around at the beck and call of people who are probably 5-10 years older than her...all for the hefty pay of $18.75 an hour? Let's do the math:

$18.75 times 40 hours in a week= $750/weekly

FOUR weeks in a month X $750/weekly pay= $3,000

TWELVE MONTHS in a year X $3,000/monthly pay= $36,000

Take out taxes...and your MIL is bringing home $20,000-$29,000 depending on her living/marriage situation....and you're actually bragging about that?

Sure, overtime may bring that up a few thousand...but come on...we're talking about senior citizens working for beans. Your MIIL is being paid less than some new grads.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:52 AM

173 posts, read 582,503 times
I agree with your point on nurses having it rough. I work in healthcare and i would NEVER want to be a nurse. I see what they have to do and go thru on a daily basis. However, 18.75 is not all that bad for the pocono's. That amount actually justify's the duties of the job. Now if they were making $10 bucks an hour you could work as an office clerk and make the same and be less stressful.

P.S. your math is wrong, yearly salary would be $38979.20. 18.75 x 40 x 52. If you do the math your way you only count 48 weeks in a year.

Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 AM

158 posts, read 270,332 times
Default Location

[SIZE=3]Hi,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]May I make a suggestion? You want to start your career off on the right foot? I would suggest you visit your nearest Air Force Recruiter. With the degree you got they will probably send you to officers school if you want or you can stay enlisted. You will get plenty of real world experience under your belt and when it comes time to retire all that experience you gained will payoff bigtime in the civilian world. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot looking for a place to settle down now. It sounds like your young and single. This is the time you go see the world and let the government pay the fair. Once you do your 20 years you got a check coming in plus medical plus post exchange privileges for the rest of your life. I was in but unfortunately for me I got out and now I can’t have what you can possible have. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Best of luck on your decision.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]Regards,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]al[/SIZE]

Old 11-13-2010, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
I agree with your point on nurses having it rough. I work in healthcare and i would NEVER want to be a nurse. I see what they have to do and go thru on a daily basis. However, 18.75 is not all that bad for the pocono's. That amount actually justify's the duties of the job. Now if they were making $10 bucks an hour you could work as an office clerk and make the same and be less stressful.

P.S. your math is wrong, yearly salary would be $38979.20. 18.75 x 40 x 52. If you do the math your way you only count 48 weeks in a year.
Oh believe me, I didn't forget those 4 weeks. Remember, nurses work hourly and they do not work 52 weeks straight out of the year. That calculation would be correct if they were paid for all of their sick days, holidays, vacation, etc.

I am in NYC...not too far from Poconos, PA. While $18.75/hr isn't slavery, considering that his MIL is a senior citizen and has more than likely been doing this for YEARS on end, it's no deal breaker.

Old 11-13-2010, 07:59 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
The mother is an LPN...not an RN so the pay scale is not too bad! IF you hate your field, get out! Nurses with your attitude should not be doing patient care anyway!!!!!Anyone who thinks nursing is easy...has to be nuts!!!!!! RNs can and do make good money and it is not always in a hospital setting. Plus, I never met a nurse that went into the profession because they thought they would get wealthy. Maybe back in the day when some women saw nursing as a good way to land a doctor husband they thought they would get wealthy! But how outdated is that thingking??Sounds to me as if you are burnt out and need to move in a different direction, good luck!

Old 11-13-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
The mother is an LPN...not an RN so the pay scale is not too bad! IF you hate your field, get out! Nurses with your attitude should not be doing patient care anyway!!!!!Anyone who thinks nursing is easy...has to be nuts!!!!!! RNs can and do make good money and it is not always in a hospital setting. Plus, I never met a nurse that went into the profession because they thought they would get wealthy. Maybe back in the day when some women saw nursing as a good way to land a doctor husband they thought they would get wealthy! But how outdated is that thingking??Sounds to me as if you are burnt out and need to move in a different direction, good luck!
Attitude? It seems people don't understand the difference between dignity and attitude. I have way too much pride to stay in a field that treats human beings this horribly. My patients love me and I have received praise a numerous amount of times. I have a few coworkers who are awesome nurses, as well. Praise only goes so far. It doesn't have everything to do with being burnt out. Some people have a lot of respect for themselves and do not want to commit a lifetime to a position where you are treated like dirt. It's unrealistic to think one will get out of bedside care and get a cushy office position, within nursing. The economy is terrible. That just won't happen.

So how many years have you been in nursing?

Old 11-13-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Attitude? It seems people don't understand the difference between dignity and attitude. I have way too much pride to stay in a field that treats human beings this horribly. My patients love me and I have received praise a numerous amount of times. I have a few coworkers who are awesome nurses, as well. Praise only goes so far. It doesn't have everything to do with being burnt out. Some people have a lot of respect for themselves and do not want to commit a lifetime to a position where you are treated like dirt. It's unrealistic to think one will get out of bedside care and get a cushy office position, within nursing. The economy is terrible. That just won't happen.

So how many years have you been in nursing?

Sounds to me you think your BETTER then what the world thinks .. If you dont like nursing then quit ..

They are always looking for new talent at the strip clubs , (They Make GREAT $$$) maybe use one of the nursing outfits ..

OR even Better go back to school and become a Doctor and Boss Nurses around

Old 11-13-2010, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Sounds to me you think your BETTER then what the world thinks .. If you dont like nursing then quit ..

They are always looking for new talent at the strip clubs , (They Make GREAT $$$) maybe use one of the nursing outfits ..

OR even Better go back to school and become a Doctor and Boss Nurses around
Where did I say I was better? I just pointed out that I have self respect.
Strip club? What a classy suggestion of you.

It's clear that I am communicating with a highly intelligent individual that is capable of handling the reality of the world.

I have already started to major in a better field. Don't you worry. BTW, how many years of experience do you actually have in nursing? Why does it seem that people dodge that question?

Old 11-13-2010, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleOrange View Post
Where did I say I was better? I just pointed out that I have self respect.
Strip club? What a classy suggestion of you.

It's clear that I am communicating with a highly intelligent individual that is capable of handling the reality of the world.

I have already started to major in a better field. Don't you worry. BTW, how many years of experience do you actually have in nursing? Why does it seem that people dodge that question?

Me myself None ..Retired NYPD

You wanna talk about a crappy job with low pay ..

Bring it on ,

There are a slew of Classy chicks working the strip clubs . They make upwards of a grand a night ..

Thats pretty good money ..

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 11-13-2010 at 10:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania