Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 08:17 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times

Advertisements

ofhs93, varmintblaster,

Actually; I have written to news and weather programs trying to get more national attention on the hazards of slush. I never received any response. Slush usually just gets lumped in with snow. I know that tire manufacturers have the equipment to test traction. I never saw a breakdown of traction according to our different weather. I have read or listened to our DOT talk about stopping distance on wet compared to dry roads. I just feel that many (especially the 4 wheel drivers) do not give slush enough respect. 4 wheel drive does get you going in the snow - you just can’t stop or turn on slush.

Usually all drivers slow down when they think of know they are on black ice (there are some that are oblivious). Professional drivers look at their rear view mirrors to see if they are icing up during the cold winter rains. We also listen to the spray off our wheels - when it gets quite; it is time to slowly slow down. The CB can also help (not all the time because of disinformation).

Sorry frank754,

I don’t think that I was ever allowed on the Bear Mountain Bridge. Maybe somebody else can help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
Having lived in the south for 14 years before moving here, there are a lot more problems (in Western NC/Asheville) with freezing rain. When the rain freezes, or if there's sleet, it's a no-go even with 4WD. Or especially with snow on top of the freezing rain. It's a "borderline" area so the roads are often slick in various scenarios. Even without freezing rain, sometimes the snow gets packed down to create a white ice slick with enough traffic and refreezing. Before moving to NC, when I lived in Upstate NY (N of Binghamton), even with a FWD Chevy (small car) I could get up and down even the bigger hills as long as it was not up to my axles. In the city, though, when it was slush, you could get around, but had to really mind your starting/stopping and steering. A lot more hazardous than ice, but there is some element on the tracks you make that make it a bit better than sheer ice on the sideways movements depending on the mass of slush parallel to your tracks.

Old 10-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Having lived in the south for 14 years before moving here, there are a lot more problems (in Western NC/Asheville) with freezing rain. When the rain freezes, or if there's sleet, it's a no-go even with 4WD. Or especially with snow on top of the freezing rain. It's a "borderline" area so the roads are often slick in various scenarios. Even without freezing rain, sometimes the snow gets packed down to create a white ice slick with enough traffic and refreezing. Before moving to NC, when I lived in Upstate NY (N of Binghamton), even with a FWD Chevy (small car) I could get up and down even the bigger hills as long as it was not up to my axles. In the city, though, when it was slush, you could get around, but had to really mind your starting/stopping and steering. A lot more hazardous than ice, but there is some element on the tracks you make that make it a bit better than sheer ice on the sideways movements depending on the mass of slush parallel to your tracks.
frank754,
I used to average about 100K a year before I retired. Some of those miles were on your western NC roads and on your ice. When the trucks I drove were heavy; slush did not effect us as bad as the lighter four wheelers.

I really had to watch my driving when I had a heavy front box and an empty rear box when pulling doubles. That combination is dangerous on dry roads - let alone on ice. You can’t be heavy on the brakes. Even heavy concentrations of dry salt or leaves on the road can reduce your control/stopping distance.

Getting back to I 84 and I 81 (lets throw in I 380); the weather can be unpredictable. Those high spots, on the hills, can pose significant problems - if you do not pay attention. I mentioned slush before because motorist do not expect to loose control. They go out around you and all of a sudden hit deeper slush. They loose control in seconds and they don’t see it coming.

With black ice or ice with a light dusting of snow; there are tell tail signs. Motorist will put on their four ways and slow down. You see some that slid off the road. All signs to slow down and take your time - as well as backing off and allowing more distance.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:14 AM

120 posts, read 225,817 times
Let's see....the worst Interstate spots in NEPA for "winter weather"...on I-84 I would have to say Mt. Cobb takes the prize...on I-380 pretty much anywhere across the Pocono platue...Tobyhanna ect...on I-81 I'm thinking the Frackville area is typically a total mess when it snows.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofhs93 View Post
Let's see....the worst Interstate spots in NEPA for "winter weather"...on I-84 I would have to say Mt. Cobb takes the prize...on I-380 pretty much anywhere across the Pocono platue...Tobyhanna ect...on I-81 I'm thinking the Frackville area is typically a total mess when it snows.
ofhs93,

Don’t forget the pea soup fog that is common on I 81. It doesn’t seem as bad on I 380 or I 84. That does not mean the other interstates do not get fog (they do; just not as bad). I 81 between Hazelton and Frackville seems to be the worst.

I 380 (to me) seems like it gets more than a fair share accidents. The higher you go; the worse the driving becomes. Gouldsboro is usually worse than Tobyhanna. Tobyhanna is worse than Mount Pocono.

On I 84 Mount Cobb is pretty bad. There are other hills that also get pretty bad.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:51 PM

10 posts, read 29,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Yuk View Post
I-84 does not get much traffic at all....I'll bet there's never been a traffic jam on that highway. I-81 can move slowly because of all the construction between Scranton and Wilkes-Barre. Lately, its been slow around rush hour going north in the Montage Mtn Rd.-River St. area.
Try driving through I-84 through Connecticut between 3:00-7:00 PM and 7:30-9:30 AM.

Old 08-28-2013, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascalice View Post
Try driving through I-84 through Connecticut between 3:00-7:00 PM and 7:30-9:30 AM.
I used to drive truck up through CT on I-84. I am well aware of your traffic jams. One day we were crawling for ten miles. The slowdown was caused by an old timer broken down in the median. He was driving a Ferrari and had a hot young blonde with him. Everybody had to slow down to get a good look! It does not take a lot to stop traffic!

Old 08-28-2013, 05:53 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,851,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I used to drive truck up through CT on I-84. I am well aware of your traffic jams. One day we were crawling for ten miles. The slowdown was caused by an old timer broken down in the median. He was driving a Ferrari and had a hot young blonde with him. Everybody had to slow down to get a good look! It does not take a lot to stop traffic!
Typical CT ...

84, 95, the Merritt, (and 684 a NY connector) and many other roads commutable to NY, NJ, CT jobs are usually busy...often jammed. When not jammed they can be white knuckle stop and go/raceways. Locals get used to it.

The many travelers passing through think they must have hit a bad day...and they did, but there are a lot of them.

That's the way of life in the fast lane...

Last edited by jimazee; 08-28-2013 at 07:03 AM..

Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimazee View Post
Typical CT ...

84, 95, the Merritt, (and 684 a NY connector) and many other roads commutable to NY, NJ, CT jobs are usually busy...often jammed. When not jammed they can be white knuckle stop and go/raceways. Locals get used to it.

The many travelers passing through think they must have hit a bad day...and they did, but there are many of them.

That's the way of life in the fast lane...
It isn't fast with a broken Ferrari!

Old 08-28-2013, 07:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Just a note for posters - this thread is from 2010 so posters other then the ones below post #16, may no longer be active on this forum.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania