Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 04:13 PM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKrabs View Post
What is the point of M80s? Are people that stupid and inbred that they get a thrill over something going BOOM and annoying people?
I'll check my genealogy tree tonight but . . . well, yeah. Not only do they go BOOM they can blow things up pretty good too! My fav fireworks displays include those with BOOMs that you feel in your chest and set off car alarms a mile away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:59 PM

923 posts, read 3,093,457 times
Love those fireworks that go BOOM !!! When I travel north from Florida in the spring I
bring LOTS of them home from NC. And speaking of law enforcement. At Lake Winola it
was such a problem... everyone setting them off on their docks... local cops put a stop
to it but, designated a spot ...lakefront... where everyone could set theirs off.
BOOM !!!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 11:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,200 times
Default Fireworks impact on animals

Fireworks are very damaging to animals, including pets and wildlife. We live in Pennsylvania near a fire company (about 1 1/2 miles away) that does a fireworks display every year. The explosions are so loud that I have had a decorative plate get knocked off the wall from the percussion. One year a friends dog, who is scared to death of fireworks, he escaped out the door in a panic and literally ran for miles. He was found in a front yard and they were contacted by the kind person who found him exhausted in the yard. When they picked him up, the pads on his feet were raw and bleeding from running and he was so exhausted he could not stand up. They took him right to the Vet., the Vet. said it was a miracle he was a young dog or he would have probably died from the incident. He was hospitalized for two days. In another incident, a neighbor's dog got panicked from someone shooting "illegal" fireworks off near their home. He was a 13 year old doberman, he ran away, their children looked for him that night and all of the next day. They posted flyers everywhere. Someone called them and said they spotted a doberman dead along a road about a mile away from their house. They took the dog's body to be necropsied, the Vet. said the dog was not hit by car and probably died from a heart attack. There is also a zoo about 2 miles from this fire company that shoots fire works. We have heard they have lost animals when an animal panics in their cages from the explosions and are injured so bad they don't make it.
Our songbirds are on big trouble, too. Some species numbers are down 75% in the last 10-15 years. Many of these birds will go extinct if we don't stop the human behavior impact occurring to birds. They are impacted on many fronts, from habitat loss, windows, outdoor cats, fireworks, cars, cell towers, hawks, etc. Fireworks is especially very damaging on Memorial Day and July 4th. This is when the birds are nesting and raising chicks. Parents are often so tramatized from fireworks they abandon nests. At night they cannot see well and when the explosion scares them, they fly in a panick out of a tree and can be injured or killed. Or, it has been documented that often when a bird is tramatized it will not return to the nest. So, this can be double whammy. If the parents are lost or abandon the nest the babies perish also. Please do not shoot fireworks, think about the impact your behavior is having on pets and wildlife.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:08 AM

I know one well placed firecracker can really shake the walls of a small ant colony.

Old 08-25-2009, 09:52 AM

159 posts, read 692,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNTT_Vacationer View Post
I know one well placed firecracker can really shake the walls of a small ant colony.
Lol, those poor, poor ants .

Old 08-25-2009, 02:40 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
I'll check my genealogy tree tonight but . . . well, yeah. Not only do they go BOOM they can blow things up pretty good too! My fav fireworks displays include those with BOOMs that you feel in your chest and set off car alarms a mile away.
Why would any normal human being want that? It doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it good enough to just enjoy the fireworks at a public display?

Old 08-25-2009, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
Why would any normal human being want that? It doesn't make sense to me. Isn't it good enough to just enjoy the fireworks at a public display?
Not that I'm defending normality but for the most part I was referring to public displays. . . but did you ever check out the interest in imploding old buildings?

Old 08-25-2009, 03:15 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Not that I'm defending normality but for the most part I was referring to public displays. . . but did you ever check out the interest in imploding old buildings?
Oh, I see. Never really had any interest in watching old buildings implode, but that's just me.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:05 PM

159 posts, read 692,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
You know, that whole "different strokes.." saying... I don't think it is fair calling people abnormal for liking something that you particularly don't. Heck,I find myself enjoying a good old American explosion to go with my beer from time to time as well . While we may look at you and MRKrabs (fitting name, BTW...) as the odd ones out or uptight for *not* liking it, I would never judge you or call you that based on your personal preference. OK, maybe I would, but not to your face .

Old 08-25-2009, 11:42 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
You know, that whole "different strokes.." saying... I don't think it is fair calling people abnormal for liking something that you particularly don't. Heck,I find myself enjoying a good old American explosion to go with my beer from time to time as well . While we may look at you and MRKrabs (fitting name, BTW...) as the odd ones out or uptight for *not* liking it, I would never judge you or call you that based on your personal preference. OK, maybe I would, but not to your face .
"...I would never judge you or call you that based on your personal preference. OK, maybe I would, but not to your face ..." That line cracked me up!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania