Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:41 PM

3 posts, read 6,330 times

Advertisements

Where are some good places in Scranton to study that is NOT a library. Maybe a good coffee shop or cafe, decent book stores, places like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM

203 posts, read 577,529 times
Northern Lights is across from the courthouse. I'm not sure how much you can spread out, depending on the time of day.
If the weather is nice, you can always go to a park.
I don't get out & about too often but these are the things that I can think of off the top of my head.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:30 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times
If I owned a business I think I might be a little upset at your request.

This is the reason most cafes are discontinuing free wi-fi, to curb the habit of people
hanging around for hours on end for the price of a single coffee.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:38 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,585,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post

This is the reason most cafes are discontinuing free wi-fi, to curb the habit of people
Really? To me, it seems more places are *getting* wi-fi to encourage people to "hang around"....hanging around leads to being tempted by that giant fudge brownie or other goodies......well, at least I always end up giving into temptation at Barnes & Noble for those damned giant cupcakes! (they are the devil!)

Old 08-25-2009, 07:44 AM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,000 times
Coffee Shops Fight Back Against Laptop Abusers | Coffee Hero (http://coffeehero.com/2009/08/coffee-shops-fight-back-against-laptop-abusers/ - broken link)

Old 08-25-2009, 07:50 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,315,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrantonluna View Post

So, they'd rather an empty coffeehouse than people there using it? Just go in, get a coffee, sit there for maybe a half hour and go? That seems like an odd desire....

Old 08-25-2009, 10:21 AM

6,813 posts, read 9,361,187 times
I use my laptop in coffee shops, but I've also been on the other end of the stick and have gone into one of my favorite shops on a Saturday morning, with friends, in winter, and found absolutely nowhere to sit because people were hanging around on laptops and taking up tables for four. If it becomes a problem, customers will notice and take their business elsewhere.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:28 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,835 times
As noted in the recent Coffee Shops thread, The Bog on Adams Ave. now serves coffee. And noticed when I was in there that they're touting WiFi too. They open early, 7:30am.

Northern Light has been pretty empty when I've been in there mid-afternoon (esp the upstairs seating.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnyaGirl View Post
Really? To me, it seems more places are *getting* wi-fi to encourage people to "hang around"...
I agree. To some extent a crowd attracts a crowd, and I think most businesses around here would be lucky to be full of people buying something every couple of hours. And if overwhelmed, they can easily take measures to prevent it.

Old 08-25-2009, 02:45 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
I'll echo Blip here. If I'm walking by a restaurant/cafe and am debating on as to whether or not I should give it a try or not, one thing that would help to sway me in the positive direction would be a good crowd inside. Lots of people having fun normally equates to pretty good food/service.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:49 PM

904 posts, read 2,055,835 times
just stumbled upon this (while searching for absurd profile pic inspiration), which says that zummo's in green ridge also has wifi: Zummo's Cafe | Rediscover Scranton, PA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania