Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2007, 12:22 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,052,196 times

Advertisements

I pulled this from another site but I like it and its as true as it could be.

Congratulations
To All The Kids Born In The
1930's 40's, 50's 60's and 70's!!!!!!

First we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they carried us....

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, our babycribs were covered with bright colored lead based paints.

We had no chilproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchiking....

As children, we would ride in cars with no seat belts or air bags
Doctors and Dentists never wore latex gloves.

Riding in the back of a pickup on a warm day was always a special treat...

We drank water from a pump or the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this....

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank soda pop with sugar in it, but we weren't overweight because

WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING.......

WE would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on or before dark....

No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our soap box cars or go carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes or a ditch a few times, we learned to solve the problem...

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-Boxes, no video tape movies, no surround sound, NO CELLPHONES, NO PERSONAL COMPUTERS, NO INTERNET, or INTERNET CHAT ROOMS....... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them....

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents....

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever...

WE WERE GIVEN BB GUNS FOR OUR 10TH BIRTHDAY'S
made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes....

We rode bikes or walked to friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell.... or just yelled for them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. IMAGINE THAT!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. THEY ACTUALLY SIDED WITH THE LAW.

This generation has produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

WE HAD FREEDOM, FAILURE, SUCCESS AND RESPONSIBILITY, AND WE LEARNED

HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!!!!!!

And YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids BEFORE LAWYERS AND THE GOVERNMENT REGULATED OUR LIVES FOR OUR OWN GOOD.

and while you are at it forward it to your kids so they will know how brave their parents were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2007, 12:25 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,625,743 times
Very true Daniel.

Old 07-03-2007, 12:53 PM

2,940 posts, read 3,929,784 times
Dan, I'll agree with a lot of that.....but whoever wrote that should know its pretty asinine to assume that pregnant women should smoke and drink. That's one issue where I would like to see more government intervention. And would any parent want their kids not wearing seat belts?

But I agree big time with one point....more kids need to be outside playing and being active!

Old 07-03-2007, 01:02 PM

I do not think that he was implying that, but instead saying that the gov't is too involved with what should and shouldn't do. Hey I have to admit my mom smoked and drank while she was carrying me and I turned out just fine and I agree that it should not be done. We all turned out out great and all the stuff they say would have or should have killed us didn't did it? It just gives us something to think about when it comes to someone telling us what is good for us and what is bad for us without our own input or knowledge.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:29 PM

9 posts, read 26,570 times
Tanks, I sure am glad I was born in the 70s!

Old 07-03-2007, 08:48 PM

51 posts, read 182,278 times
<<Dan, I'll agree with a lot of that.....but whoever wrote that should know its pretty asinine to assume that pregnant women should smoke and drink. That's one issue where I would like to see more government intervention.>>

I agree that it can be harmful, but I think you would have to be careful with government intervention here. To what extent can government intervene? Laws prohibiting alcohol consumption by pregnant females? I think that would be a recipe for disaster.....envisioning livid pregnant women protesting on Capitol Hill, lol.

Old 07-03-2007, 09:46 PM

I guess you guys just cannot see past the fact that he said "That we survived mothers that smoke and drank while they carried us" He is not saying that they should he is saying that they did and that those of us whose did, turned out just fine. I agree that woman should never smoke and or drink while they are pregnant. What we did not know at the time did not kill us like they say that everything these days will, and I mean everything today is in one way or another is going to kill you if you do it, so they say I guess, but I'm here and doing fine.

Old 07-03-2007, 11:02 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,625,743 times
My mother smoked when she had me too. It's just that now we know more about the evils of smoking than our parents did then. Dan's right. I would def. tell a mother not to smoke or drink while pregnant, but then again a lot of mothers did it and the children turned out just fine. You just have to do things in moderation.

Old 07-04-2007, 10:17 PM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Excellent post, Daniel, once again. I agree 100% with it. While I may spend just a bit too much time on this internet forum, I've still been blessed enough to make the outdoors my favorite hobby. If I'm not running 7 miles per day (which I haven't for a couple of days due to hurting my knee), then I'm heading to hike at Ricketts Glen or taking a new friend to enjoy the beauty of Nay Aug Gorge. Part of the reason I enjoy my photo tours so much is that I'm just able to relax, soak up the sun, watch happy strangers from afar, and envision all of the potential around me (Yes, even in so-called "Garbagedale" as you all saw portrayed in a positive light in my most recent photo tour). Seeing such cute, subtle nuances that most others miss, such as the "pothead" from my Jim Thorpe tour or the "piggy" from my Lewisburg tour, gives me the motivation to go even more in-depth on future tours.

I've battled severe depression now since the age of 17, when my parents and I had a traumatizing fallout over an issue with my personal life. I find that hopping into the car, rolling down the windows, putting in my Coldplay or Enya CD, and then taking a relaxing drive up Suscon Road to the Pinchot Trails in Thornhurst is the best cure for what ails me.

I'd also like for those of you on here who are my middle-aged elders (which is probably everyone here besides Nocturnal Rooster), to realize that while my Generation Y peers are the most technologically-advanced ones in history, as well as being somewhat "spoiled" and "coddled," things aren't all puppies and sunshine. A part of me truly did die on 9/11 when I sat in school watching CNN all day on television as various classmates and teachers broke into tears watching people falling from the upper-stories of the World Trade Center before it collapsed into a twisted heap. Sex is "sold" to us at an ubelievable pace---I believe I was one of the few in my entire class who had not had any sort of intimate contact with a sexual partner until my senior year of high school. We're being raised in different environments geographically as well. Most of you were raised in small towns or in-town neighborhoods in smaller cities like Scranton, where you could walk to friends' homes, school, ballparks, church, grandma's house, ice cream parlors, theaters, etc. Nowadays, most of NEPA's younger families have fled to the Abingtons, Back Mountain, Mountain Top, North Pocono, Greater Pittston, etc., leaving socially-isolated children in their wake who can't access those same amenities you all grew up with unless their overworked and overstressed "keeping up with the Jones's" parents drive them there in their fancy SUVs. I view my cell phone as being a detriment, NOT an "improvement," as I now feel as if I'm connected to the hectic, rush-rush world 24/7 as my phone rings incessantly.

BOTH generations had their adversities and challenges, and I think it is unfair to assume that today's middle-aged and baby-boomers are somehow "better" for their hardships than we teenagers and twenty-somethings are. People say they couldn't imagine what life was like before a cell phone, PDA, Blackberry, Garmin, OnStar, DVD, iPhone, iPod, XBox, etc., yet even ten years ago these devices were ALL either unheard of or not in mass production. I can recall the era before all of these modern gadgets and gizmos were established (early-to-mid 1990s), and I don't think life was any "worse" before their inception either. If anything, all of these devices made life more difficult, as society as a whole has become cold, distanced, and uncaring now that everyone "has no time" to stop and chit-chat in the grocery store or on their morning jogs.

Old 07-05-2007, 07:44 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,929,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
I guess you guys just cannot see past the fact that he said "That we survived mothers that smoke and drank while they carried us" He is not saying that they should he is saying that they did and that those of us whose did, turned out just fine. I agree that woman should never smoke and or drink while they are pregnant. What we did not know at the time did not kill us like they say that everything these days will, and I mean everything today is in one way or another is going to kill you if you do it, so they say I guess, but I'm here and doing fine.

The way I look at it is: would you give an infant a baby bottle full of beer, or a cigarette? Of course not, so why would you feed an unborn baby still developing in the womb some alcohol or cigarettes?

You may say it "did not kill us," and many were lucky, but there have also been a lot of stillborn babies from alcohol consumption, as well as many born with birth defects. I know a family in particular where the mother drank while pregnant, and all three of their kids are very slow....probably borderline retarded.

Even though many have "turned out fine," that's something where I would rather not take a risk. Back 30, 40, 50 years ago, not all of the effects of smoking and alcohol on an unborn child were known. When a pregnant woman in the 1950's smoked...they probably had no idea they were doing anything bad. If a pregnant woman smokes today, there is no way that they don't know better...they just don't care, which is sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania