Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2010, 05:05 AM

48 posts, read 112,868 times

Advertisements

Wondering if anyone can tell me about the oil service and/or delivery companies in the area, as well as anything about the quality of the local healthcare facilities and hospitals.
My husband is a HVAC technician and I am an RN who will both be looking for work in the area.

Also, wondering how the deer hunting/fishing is in this area.

This looks like a wonderful town (as are the surrounding towns) and we are trying to do our research before committing.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 AM

48 posts, read 112,868 times
ttt

Old 10-13-2010, 06:01 AM

272 posts, read 1,003,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doegirl View Post
Wondering if anyone can tell me about the oil service and/or delivery companies in the area, as well as anything about the quality of the local healthcare facilities and hospitals.
My husband is a HVAC technician and I am an RN who will both be looking for work in the area.

This looks like a wonderful town (as are the surrounding towns) and we are trying to do our research before committing.

Thanks
If you are RN and husband is in HVAC, you might what to live closer to a larger town, like Wilkes-Barre, not in Wilkes-Barre,just outside of the town,like MT Top,Bear Creek,Back MT-Dallas.Wilkes-Barre has three hospitals and a lot of HVAC companies.I know, Im retired HVAC tec and live in Bear Creek.No problem with delivery companies.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:29 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,276 times
If you like small town, isolated living, then Weatherly is a great choice.
I think you might be able to get cell phone coverage in some spots.
They have a very good school.

Closest Hospital is Hazleton General - not the best reputation around.
Geisinger, and Mercy in Wilkes-Barre
Allentown to the south.

As far as dining/bars - very few choices - maybe 2 or 3. (Camo & boots accepted attire)

Fishing - the Lehigh River is a great trout river. Some small feeder streams in the area as well.
Hunting - State Game Lands not too far away. Most of the land in close proximity to Weatherly is privately owned.

Several oil companies that service the area - check the yellow pages.
HVAC jobs - if your hubby is good, there are opportunites in the area.

Old 10-29-2010, 08:44 PM

3 posts, read 5,560 times
I think there's some kind of hospital in Tamaqua. It's not that far from Weatherly. Right past Hometown, before Tamaqua is Tuscarora State Park - Beautiful!!! From Weatherly you come throught Ginthers to get on 309 somehow. I'm not sure of the exact route. Lehigh Gorge and Hickory Run State Parks are not far either. I'm not a hunter or a fisher, so I can't comment on that - I just like nature. But there are plenty of opportunities to do either. My grandpa belonged to the White Haven Sportman's Club. You might want to check that out.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:26 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Wow, I didn't know Hazleton General had a bad rap! I just had surgery there on 10/15 and received excellent care! My primary care in Enyon hooked me up with Dr. Bono for lap band surgery and I am totally happy with the quality of care received by him and the hospital staff.....

Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 21,523 times
Quote:

Thanks
hEY !!!! i AM ALWAYS LOOKIN TO MOVE UP TO mAINE . fOR years NOW THINKIN ABOUT IT. fUNNY i FOUND YOUR POST i AM A FIRST YEAR nURSING STUDENT i LIVE IN PUTNAM ny AND AM GOING TO dUTCHESS cOMMUNITY COLLEGE. wHAT CAN YA TELL ME ABOUT UP THERE THANKS

Old 02-12-2011, 09:11 AM

19 posts, read 30,410 times
Quote:

Thanks
This thread is a little old but better late than never I guess. As far as hospitals go, though Hazleton General is the nearest hospital to Weatherly, and it may not have the best reputation, you're not going as a patient, you're looking for work, so that doesn't matter too much. Not too sure what kind of work environment you're used to or looking for, but Hazleton General is small.

If you're asking about oil companies for work for your husband, he'd probably find decent work anywhere in NEPA. I don't know too much about this, but I'm taking an educated guess.

As far as Weatherly, last I drove through there, a couple years back, it was pretty dead as usual. There really is nothing there. If you want a mall, or any major chain nearby, don't move to Weatherly. If you're deadset on NEPA or close, considering your field, I'd look into moving closer to Danville because you could find work at Geisinger, which is a major hospital. You can also look into Wilkes-Barre, but I wouldn't want to move there.

For small town areas, look into Conyngham/Drums, and you'd be closest to Hazleton General. If you want a bigger hospital, look into Danville (for Geisinger) and WilkesBarre (there are a few hospitals in that area).

I don't know too much about other healthcare facilities.

Also, if you want a quaint little town, consider Jim Thorpe. You may have to do a little commute for work, but it's a cute, historic little town, and I'm sure your husband will be able to find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania