Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 PM
r11 r11 started this thread

46 posts, read 90,365 times

Advertisements

Now that I have a contract on a house in PA, that is to be used for weekends/vacations, was wondering of perks, if any, that come with that.

I am a NJ resident, that's where I live, work and pay taxes.

- Rifle and/or handgun. Assuming I want to get one for hunting and/or target shooting in PA (and I know better than to ever let it cross NJ/PA border!) - do I need any permits ?

Can I legally buy it with my NJ license and just keep it PA side of the border ?

I understand that me owning either/both is subject to PA's own restrictions on transporting etc.

- Assuming one can _legally_ save a buck or two on auto insurance by changing it to PA, what does it entail ?

- would I need to file PA taxes tax-time ? Or I just pay my local/school taxes in PA and mention them on Fed tax return and hopefully get some money back ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 12:18 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r11 View Post
Now that I have a contract on a house in PA, that is to be used for weekends/vacations, was wondering of perks, if any, that come with that.

I am a NJ resident, that's where I live, work and pay taxes.

- Rifle and/or handgun. Assuming I want to get one for hunting and/or target shooting in PA (and I know better than to ever let it cross NJ/PA border!) - do I need any permits ?

Can I legally buy it with my NJ license and just keep it PA side of the border ?

I understand that me owning either/both is subject to PA's own restrictions on transporting etc.

- Assuming one can _legally_ save a buck or two on auto insurance by changing it to PA, what does it entail ?

- would I need to file PA taxes tax-time ? Or I just pay my local/school taxes in PA and mention them on Fed tax return and hopefully get some money back ?
Walk into Wal-Mart with your ID and you can walk out with a rifle ... (That is if your NOT a convicted felon)

Old 10-11-2010, 12:19 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Auto Insurance would be cheaper BUT you would have to be a full time resident or you would have to lie ..

Old 10-11-2010, 12:34 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
No permits or registration is required in Pa to legally own a rifle, shotgun or handgun.
Instant background check will be conducted at time of purchase.
A Pa. LTCF permit is required only for transporting a loaded handgun in a car or concealed carry on person. They are granted to non-residents via County Sheriff's Department.

You can legally transport a rifle/shotgun from/to Pa and the People's Republic of NJ.
NO HANDGUNS. There is no reciprocity between Pa & NJ.

If the address you provide your insurance carrier is not your principal residence where your vehicles sit at night for the majority of time, what you propose is considered insurance fraud.

Unless you earn income in Pa, no taxes are due (other than property taxes).

Old 10-11-2010, 02:22 PM

Appreciate the advice, thanks !

When you're going to a shooting range with your handgun and you want to bring your own ammo, keeping em in separate lock boxes, with handgun not loaded - it that OK ?

On car insurance - I wasn't proposing anything illegal, was just asking. Parking location aside, due to shorter commute to work in NJ, I will be probably doing more driving in PA, even though, technically, it will be in PA only about 30% of the time (Sat/Sun + extended holidays and such)

Old 10-11-2010, 02:39 PM

My understanding is that you do not need a permit to carry handgun in an auto if you are transporting it to your house from the place of business where you purchased it. One time deal and you better have your receipt.

If you are in direct route to/from gun range or hunting spot (with no sidetrips or stop offs) there is a sportsman's permit available.

But, given the ease and low cost of getting a Pa. LTCF you should do so to prevent an overzealous member of the PoPo from hassling you and having one removes any gray areas or that uncomfortable feeling of looking in your rearview and seeing the blue and red bubbles on a cop car when you are packin. .

The address of your principal residence (zipcode) is used to calc rates for Comp and considers factors like theft rates, etc.. That is another reason why the ins cos require your home address.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:11 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
becareful bringing your nj guns to pa .... the problem is unless you have a nj ccw you are not permited any stopovers if you come to shoot in pa. you must shoot at the pa range and drive directly home....

it was even worse for us as i have a new york residence permit as thats all they issue. im only allowed off premises to go to a nyc range.

the fact is if i go to our house in pa and to the range by us my license isnt valid and hense the guns not legally owned in pa even though for pa residents no permit is needed .

you must have a valid pa drivers license to be considered a resident of pa and buy a handgun but you can have issues with having a pa licence and actually having new york as your primary residence...

Old 10-11-2010, 05:43 PM

mathjak - with regard to handguns, a NJ or NY CCW permit are not recognized in PA and mean absolutely nothing once you cross the border. Sames goes for a PA LTCF holder traveling into NJ or NY.

There are no reciprocity agreements between the states.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
correct... there is no honoring of permits...however since a permit wasnt needed in pa at all for target shooting pa state police said it was perfectly okay to bring our guns to pa to shoot.

even though pa has no permit requirement the fact our guns were out of our new york residence made our ny permits technically invalid in ny ,thats the kicker , it made our ny permits invalid in ny and therefore made them not legally owned in pa and not legal.

it was very convuleted to figure out but nypd was correct when they said even though we didnt need a pa permit our guns wouldnt be legal because ny invalidates our permit in ny if we leave the state..

Old 10-11-2010, 06:18 PM

I don't own any kind of gun at the moment, living in NJ. Although, having spent 7Y in the military, I do feel like I would enjoy owning one. I would buy it in PA and keep in PA - taking it to local shooting ranges only. Not going to carry it around outside of that, but I guess LTCF is a good idea anyway, as suggested.

Nice to know there's still a free state just a short ride away from NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania