Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 08:06 PM

99 posts, read 234,992 times

Advertisements

I'm guessing that you are not skilled laborers or anything like that. Try making less money, adjusted for inflation, than you did 10 years ago, even after acquiring many skills, certifications, and having an excellent work ethic and history. In a risky field where you will probably end up going blind, getting cancer, heavy metal poisoning, or suffering some other industrial accident. Working yourself to the bone all these years and watching plants and factories close down in the region year after year, and realizing that the likelihood of finding a job with a chance of advancement is null. And you'll never be able to afford so much as a double wide, nevermind a fancy house overlooking the mountain. Better still, talk with some 50ish year old guys who are making less, in actual dollars, than they were in the 70's. I guess the reason that we're clinging to our "guns and religion" is because they're the only things that haven't been shipped overseas yet.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:05 PM

98 posts, read 190,026 times
very true, capitalism has utterly destroyed this area. Pennsylvania would be awesome if we embraced a collective economy and worked together. Oh wait, I forgot, its PA, and we cant have angry old polish/italian people anywhere near black people, mexicans, gays or liberals.

this area is the kind of place politicians brag about when they say "ive brought hundreds of jobs etc etc" when 90% of those jobs are in fast food, warehousing or retail.

Thanks?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:16 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
this area is the kind of place politicians brag about when they say "ive brought hundreds of jobs etc etc" when 90% of those jobs are in fast food, warehousing or retail.

Thanks?
Sadly while your anti-NEPA remarks get a bit grating this is something nobody can dispute. College graduates don't want to work at call centers, distribution centers, big-box stores, fast-food restaurants, etc. for $9/hr. while struggling to pay down their debt, yet that's mostly what has been coming into the area. I read today that Downtown Wilkes-Barre is getting 30 more white-collar career opportunities, which is a good sign, but it's only a drop in the bucket overall. I loved it when Greg Skrepenak was running commercials in which he was bragging about CenterPoint in my native Pittston Twp. That park is home to nothing but low-wage warehousing jobs. What is there to be proud of?

Old 10-18-2010, 09:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sues1 View Post
I like NEPA, but i really dislike Scranton, and due to circumstances beyond my control, that's where i have to be now. I'm from Jersey and have always felt it home to me, i lived in NYC until i was 13, then moved to Jersey and it's where i grew up, went to high school, met my hubby and to me there is nothing like it. I know it's not perfect, but i love it.
New Jersey is very underrated. I helped a colleague of mine relocate to Newark a few weekends ago, and she's paying the same amount for a 2-BR loft in an upscale part of town near a huge park as I pay for a 1-BR apartment in deep suburbia in Northern Virginia. Judging by the people in NEPA you'd think NJ was nothing but a slum. Not so.

Old 10-18-2010, 09:36 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,302 times
Quote:
very true, capitalism has utterly destroyed this area. Pennsylvania would be awesome if we embraced a collective economy and worked together. Oh wait, I forgot, its PA, and we cant have angry old polish/italian people anywhere near black people, mexicans, gays or liberals.

Thanks?
You are way too young to be so angry....

Capitalism? Collective Economy?
You should move to an EU country - I hear they are doing great these days.

Depending on your field of study, there is nothing stopping you from starting your own business - except alot of hard work and sacrifice for a few years.
Or starting low on the totem pole at a company and working your way up - once again - based upon hard work and dedication.
Unfortunately, for most of the MTV instant gratification kids, such a thing is out of the question.

Try networking with a few of them angry old people, they may give you a few tips/leads.

Old 10-18-2010, 10:03 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
I think the only reason people might look at you strange for choosing to move here is because it doesn't happen often...the economy stinks here, so its not everyday that people are moving here willingly.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:30 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Thanks for the many opinions!
I do think our move will not be an isilated event.
The area really does have a lot to offer!
I love both Wilkes Barre and Scranton!
I love the fact that in less than 20 minutes one can find themselves at a state park or an interesting festival.
ions No one has beev nasty about their questons - just a tad incredulouse.
I am trying to find out if this has anything to do with the areas history as an anthracite coal munung area, because that comes up a lot.

Old 10-18-2010, 11:37 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
the area is filled with backwards religious old people.

on top of that, we have a culture that glorifies ignorance, which is why so many college graduates leave the area, and its another reason why theres so few jobs worth having here. if you like hunting, drinking, going to church, riding quads and working crappy jobs then this area is everything you need.
I think YOU have given Sheena her answer....but more so your attitude than the attitudes of "old religious people"..

Old 10-19-2010, 05:34 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,951,737 times
Just my 2 cents: I honestly believe that some of what we (collectively with Sheena since I partially agree ) as low self-esteem actually maybe a culmination of generations of seeing the rich getting richer, the middle class shrinking, and the poor becoming poorer; while "connected" individuals and families dominate politics, and "old" money families becoming wealthier at the expense of the majority. The choices made for "projects" that benefit a few, with no regard to the many! Short sighted plans and projects being decided on "who" is going to benefit and not for the "best of the community". I think corruption has been allowed to run rampant for so long, people not only lost faith in their community's leaders, but faith in their community. Corruption I feel, has eaten away at the core belief that one can pull ones self up by their boot straps. Couple that with the picture of a global economy and loss of employers that were here for generations and you have a recipe for a demoralized population. When you and your family are constantly worried about meeting basic needs for your self and your family, the beauty can not be seen.

Old 10-19-2010, 06:13 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
As a VERY HAPPY new resident of NEPA, have noticed a persstant presence of regional low self esteem in this region.

WHY?

The area is beautiful, amazingly affordable, replete with natural beauty and a plethora of places of higher education.
There are a multicplicity of events to satisfy any taste -

Recently I attended a Wholistic Fair in Kingston, hiked thruogh NayAug Park in Scranton, ha dinner at a wonderful Thai restaurant and luch at a vegan cafe.

I intended a really nice church and I intend to join.

My children started school at Holy Redeemer HS and although we are not RC we were very welcomed and I am happy and so are they.

We walked along the river front, and infact have done a lot of walking in general!
We have saved gas and used energy - ours.

We are purchacing a house with views of the mountains at a price that may buy a double wide in some places.

The Autumn has been beautiful! A real fall! Not one hot day, one cold day and BAM - winter! Nice moderate cool temps.

So we are happy! And I have to ask why the pervasive dispair?
When we say w have moved here people invaribly reply "Why... you have family in the area?"

Goota say we are confused.

Some have speculated that the lack of self esteem is somehow conected with the areas coal mining history.

I do not really see the connection.

If anyone has any ideas pease share!

Thanks!
Sheena
Maybe because the only people that make a big deal out of a Thai restaurant, Nay Aug, vegan cafe and a holistic fair are people that just moved here and to the rest of us its old hat and or who cares.

Every home here has a view of a hill,(mountains, yeh ok) because we live in the middle of them.

It seems that recent transplants are thrilled by the things that most here could care less about. A vegan cafe, really? Whats so exciting about that?

Hey Reston exactly which part of Newark are you calling upscale? ROFLMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania