Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2010, 10:49 PM

996 posts, read 1,050,985 times

Advertisements

you also listed NVA,NYC,Boston,CT to name a few.

I don't care about sports or entertainers. They get what the market bears. Besides, they do not reflect reality for 99.9% of people.. Don't try to veer off on a tangent.

Nice house - but a 2BR/1BA at $150,000 is quite a stretch.

I haven't been around this website that long, but I notice that you soured on NVA in a short amount of time.

I sincerely hope Pittsburgh serves you better.

You should try steelhead fishing - the Erie tribs are a short drive north and get great runs...

Old 10-19-2010, 10:54 PM

996 posts, read 1,050,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RestonRunner86 View Post
For what it's worth I just found out today that there are more "shady dealings" going on in regards to the Pittston Crossings project. A relative of mine who lives in the subdivision adjacent to the site went to speak to township officials today, and they had "no idea" that a Sheetz and many other businesses were planned for the property in question. "NO IDEA?" Give me a break.
haha - I will be attending a party this weekend. I'll have to ask Murph Adams about the situation. I hope they get that bait/gun shop. I'll let you know wassup..

Old 10-20-2010, 04:55 AM

32,606 posts, read 77,374,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
you also listed NVA,NYC,Boston,CT to name a few.

I don't care about sports or entertainers. They get what the market bears. Besides, they do not reflect reality for 99.9% of people.. Don't try to veer off on a tangent.

Nice house - but a 2BR/1BA at $150,000 is quite a stretch.

I haven't been around this website that long, but I notice that you soured on NVA in a short amount of time.

I sincerely hope Pittsburgh serves you better.

You should try steelhead fishing - the Erie tribs are a short drive north and get great runs...
Doesn't nearly everyone receive compensation for "what the market will bear"? If you have a talent, skill, degree, certification, etc. that is in limited supply, and if more than one employer is looking to fill its ranks, then you could indeed negotiate your salary upwards by pitting one prospective employer against another. My field has remained "red hot", even during this Great Recession. If I lose my current position, which is unlikely since we're always hiring due to high turnover/low morale, then I'll have limited difficulty finding something comparable. It's not a "tangent." Why is it okay for some jock to make $5,000,000/year at age 25 but not okay for an accountant to make $40,000/year at age 23? Aren't BOTH being compensated according to market forces?

The problem with NoVA is that it feels like one giant "Candyland." There's no coziness, neighborhood cohesion, or sense of "place" ANYWHERE here (outside the Beltway). Everything is a cul-de-sac, strip mall, freeway, etc. The area largely didn't develop until the 1970s, and the 1970s-1990s were a horrible time for planning in our country. I would wither and die living in a place in NEPA like the Back Mountain, Glenmaura, or South Abington Twp., but that's largely what we have here. If I want any historic charm or nostalgic flair my options are severely limited to visit, and there's NOWHERE I could afford to live (unless I power-commuted from Winchester, VA, Baltimore, MD, or Fredericksburg, VA). Pittsburgh offers the neighborhoods I'm looking for at an affordable price with fair salaries. It's a pretty balanced city, even if everyone still thinks it's an old dying steel town.

Maybe $150,000 for my dream home like that in Green Ridge would be a stretch, but you still wouldn't find a home like that in Scranton for just $94,500, and Scranton has lower salaries.

Old 10-20-2010, 04:59 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,868,443 times
I love this area and would never consider moving. I'm quite happy where I'm at. Most of the people I know would agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am trying to find out if this has anything to do with the areas history as an anthracite coal munung area, because that comes up a lot.
Most people in this area know nothing about it other than the relics of years gone by because it's been a long time since it was major industry. There is still a couple of active processors around but most people wouldn't even be aware of that. Anthracite coal mining peaked in the 20's, it was a slow decline until the 50's and then in '59 the Knox mine disaster occurred which flooded all the mines and pretty much put the final nail in the coffin of any underground mining in the area. A lot of people think it killed the industry but it was already going at that point because of competition from cheap an easy oil/natural gas.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:35 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,615,538 times
Back to the OP,
I really dont think the majority of residents suffer low self esteem of NEPA, we like it here, we have a very strong sense of community and a good work ethic, I believe what many of the posters on this board mistake for low self esteem is a pessimistic view of change for the overall good due to the politicians and their cronys being the only ones really benefiting from any development in the area.
We have 2nd and 3 rd generation caree politicans running the show and lining their pockets at our expense..
The one HUGE gripe I have is the number of people here who complain about it, but arent registered to vote and dont exercise that right!!

Old 10-20-2010, 10:52 AM

98 posts, read 189,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Keep painting..

Your getting closer to the corner.

Don't forget your dunce hat.
Is that your idea of a witty remark?

Old 10-20-2010, 11:22 AM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times
Thanks for getting back to my OP, John.
To a newcomer all of this negativity can be off putting.
We were not born here - we actually made a concerted choice to move here.
We have been the recipient of snide remarks and dire predictions.
As though in 6 months we will discover the true character of the area and wake up from this collective delusion that we have actually made a good move - and realise that we are in hell.

That's just not gonna happen. We are well aquainted with NEPA and as some of you know we have been checking out the area for three years. This was NOT an ill-considered move.

So stop rolling on the florr laughing your a$$ off.
For those of you who want to make fun off people who like this area -
GET A LIFE!
If you don't like it here - move.
This board IS for new comers and for locals who have sage advice and information to share about the area.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,615,538 times
Sheena ,
PM me if I could offer any assistance...Im 3 rd generation here and actually DO like it here..I know the ins and outs of the area..

Old 10-20-2010, 02:42 PM

23,916 posts, read 32,238,895 times
Thanks John! I will take you up on that!

Old 10-20-2010, 09:22 PM

65 posts, read 123,099 times
NEPA is a great place! Don't let all the ignorant negative nancies get to you. I was raised in NEPA and only left to go to school in Rochester NY. I now live in Kansas City and will soon be moving to Louisville KY. If there was a job in my field that payed the same I would seriously consider moving back. There is so much low hanging fruit when it comes to improving the area/community, each individual could easily make a huge improvement if they tried. I am only 23 and do not yet want to make that 'sacrifice', I need to at least get all my loans payed off (hopefully in the next few years). I really believe if the educated youth put some blood, sweat, and tears into the area it could seriously transform the way locals and outsiders view the area. I just don't think that is happening nearly as much as it should. Maybe we are afraid of being judged by the ignorant negative nancies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania