Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 07:55 PM

7 posts, read 11,565 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are a young couple with 2 little boys and would love to just pick up everything and just move to the pocono mountains. We visit frequently for weekend trips and love it. We currently live in Staten Island, NYC. I do have family in the stroudsburg area so I know the area. I myself have an A.S degree in criminal justice (Police hopeful) and my wife is currently a student going for a teaching degree. I am sort of a jack of all trades who is also a certified EMT. My wife had recently become a real estate agent. All we hear is how the poconos are great for a 2nd home but we would love to make it our only home! Please help! Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank You in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 07:57 PM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Bring LOTS of money with you . It may take a while to get a job ..

Old 09-13-2010, 09:26 PM

Not exactly what I was looking to hear. But, thanks for your input.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankeedad View Post
Not exactly what I was looking to hear. But, thanks for your input.

Sorry , But its the truth .. Housing in the area you want is upwards of $1,250 a month .. (for 3 bedroom )

Old 09-14-2010, 06:52 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Check out the Pocono Record newspaper and you may want to think about it more than once about moving out here...what you see on your weekend trips is nothing compared to living out here permanently...

Police looking for armed men in Lake Valhalla home invasion | PoconoRecord.com

Poconos ex-pastor charged in one wife's death, eyed for another | PoconoRecord.com

Is this the type of environment you and your kids want to live in?? Unfortunately, living in downtown Stroudsburg or anywhere close is not what it's like if your just coming out here on weekends...you may want to look at areas outside of Stroudsburg but still close as I did...I live approx 15-20 minutes outside of downtown but still close enough should I need to go shopping down there...I started coming out here in '96 and bought my 1st home in Nov. 2007 away from the madness and the garbage from the big cities (NY, NJ, CT)...unfortunately what Riverside and I tell you is currently how it is...your not the 1st person to ask the same question here on the boards...another good piece of advice I and everyone here on the boards will give you is: stay away from gated communities like A Pocono Country Place...extremely bad!! Here's another article from the Pocono Record about gated communities:

Your neighbors behind the gates: A look at the Poconos' largest private communities | PoconoRecord.com

as I always stress to those posting looking for information just as you are: RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH...can't stress it enough...the reason there are lot's of foreclosures in Monroe county and other areas is because most of the time the previous owners didn't do that!! It pays off to heed that one piece of advice because it can make all the difference in the world later on in your search...don't be upset with what we tell you...neither Riverside, I nor anyone else here is gonna B.S. you and you'll at least have some insight into what to expect...good luck!!

Old 09-14-2010, 07:16 AM

I was raised on Staten Island , Ive been Up here 20 odd yrs now . I remember when The Pocono's was a real nice place . But Im sad to say The Pocono's NOW is like , Park Hill, Stapleton , St George , Mariners Harbor , There are Good area's , and There are GOOD people here . BUT the huge influx of people from the city has made it pretty crowded , I would research , research , and do more research . Take a ride out and spend a week .. Jobs are scarce , or very low paying . Most people from the city commute back there for work. But that gets real old FAST .. If you want peace and quiet you need to go deep into the woods ..

Old 09-14-2010, 06:39 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,938,833 times
It is pretty impossible to live here these days, unfortunately. I want to address your job situation specifically. Our very small town is getting ready to advertise for a police position. We will have a gazillion applications for that, and those folks are already through the academy. Law enforcement jobs, unless you want to work part-time in Carbon County for nearly minimum wage, are almost nonexistent.

EMT jobs are available. However, again in the Poconos the wages are not good at all. You may be able to get a job down in the Lehigh Valley, but that's a lot of driving for a very low-paying job. (Paramedics, OTOH, are more in demand and have much better wages, did you ever consider going back for that cert?)

Everyone I know who had been in Poconos Real Estate has changed jobs due to the economy. As far as teaching, you had better know someone to get a foot in the door. PA is notorious for that, not just in the Poconos I'm afraid.

Sorry to be so negative, but I want to help you get a realistic picture of things before you take any drastic steps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
It is pretty impossible to live here these days, unfortunately. I want to address your job situation specifically. Our very small town is getting ready to advertise for a police position. We will have a gazillion applications for that, and those folks are already through the academy. Law enforcement jobs, unless you want to work part-time in Carbon County for nearly minimum wage, are almost nonexistent.

EMT jobs are available. However, again in the Poconos the wages are not good at all. You may be able to get a job down in the Lehigh Valley, but that's a lot of driving for a very low-paying job. (Paramedics, OTOH, are more in demand and have much better wages, did you ever consider going back for that cert?)

Everyone I know who had been in Poconos Real Estate has changed jobs due to the economy. As far as teaching, you had better know someone to get a foot in the door. PA is notorious for that, not just in the Poconos I'm afraid.

Sorry to be so negative, but I want to help you get a realistic picture of things before you take any drastic steps. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Well said , and very true .. SAD but true

Old 09-16-2010, 09:19 AM

169 posts, read 661,289 times
we relocated to the poconos 14 years ago and the jobs just pay really really low salaries. I'm now in the Lehigh Valley and the salaries are a bit higher but not by much. I would suggest trying to find a job first to see what kind of salary you can get. As for being a teacher, a lot of school districts in my area laid off teachers and there is a hiring freeze. I agree if you dont know someone it is mighty difficult to land a decent paying job.

Old 09-16-2010, 07:37 PM

I really appreciate all the positive feedback. I knew there would be many major obstacles to overcome hence the postings title " How impossible is it to move to the poconos ". I have come to the conclusion of waiting awhile to feel things out first. My boys are little and we are still young so we have some time to wait for this economy to pick up. But, mark my words we will one day make the poconos our home! Just not sure how long that will take. Thanks again for all the help. Nice to know there are plenty of friendly people in the poconos!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania