Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 10:18 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,695,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
I make it a point to "adjust the width of the paint brush" I use - it depends on which particular painter I am responding to.
Sometimes I swipe the paint for entertaiment purposes, other times to show the same level of ignorance to the OP.

Some use fine detail brushes, others I suspect are more accustomed to a deep pile roller.
Some think they paint like Picasso - but in reality their nonsense would not be fit for a shadow-covered bridge piling.

ADD may be over-diagnosed?? Quite the understatement maf.

More of the modern day victim mentality - take a chill pill child. The drug companies are training you for the stronger pills that will come along with your "adult problems" that will require the good stuff - "Mommy's Little Helpers"... Your parents dole them out like M&M's because they want to be your friend instead of a parent. It alot easier to hand over a pill -vs- spending quality time and providing extra attention to the kid.

And the sheep run to the trough to solve the pain of what used to be considered normal life challenges.
Good use of metaphor, re: the paint brush.

I have to say, speaking anecdotally, it has been my experience over the last 20+ years in schools, that many parents want to avoid medication for their kids, even in cases where medication shows positive results, for the very reason you cite. Perhaps your experience has been different. In any event, in no way is medication a panacea, and shouldn't be viewed as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2010, 10:49 AM

996 posts, read 1,053,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Good use of metaphor, re: the paint brush.

I have to say, speaking anecdotally, it has been my experience over the last 20+ years in schools, that many parents want to avoid medication for their kids, even in cases where medication shows positive results, for the very reason you cite. Perhaps your experience has been different. In any event, in no way is medication a panacea, and shouldn't be viewed as such.
I learnt boutz dem matefores from payzin atentchin in school..

Pill commercials should be removed from TV commercials - just like they did with cigs years ago.. Different addiction - different lobbyists..

Old 11-07-2010, 01:41 PM

24,008 posts, read 32,336,363 times
I think you are way off topic.
The OP was not about corporal punishment, cops, skateboadring or metaphoric paint brush.
The OP was about the possibility of leading a normal, happy and productive life in the city of Wilkes Barre.
I am sorry for permitting myself to be led off track.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:00 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,461,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Contrary to the strange rant of a post that encouraged a querent to flee the city of Wilkes Barre and to basically "run for her life.", there are plenty of people living, safe, happy and productive lives in this city.Lives that have nothing to do with drugs or violence.

Yesterday afternoon and evening were really lovely! After helping my high school aged children with homework a but, hubby and I went for a stroll through the Farmer's Market, sampling the rich offering of locally grown produce and regional ethnic fare. We as former NYers had never had a pastie,
a Welsh cookie, or pogash ( in case misspelled it, bread with cabbage and potatoes baked in.) We also picked up some wonderful Amish bread, a yummy herb rye bread, some tabouli, hummas, pumpkin whoopie pies and lots of crisp apples, winter squash and tomatoes.

Together we enjoyed our eclectic repast, after which DH and I strolled over to the Osterhaut (sp?) Library - a really beautiful building - to take in a lecture being presented by a historian about The Pennsylvania Dutch practice of Pow Wow it's roots in Europe and it's growth in the region.
I really was unaware that many PA Dutch lived in Luzerne county, but she was able to find a reported incident of a PA Dutch farmer who claimed that his pigs and cows had been hexed in the 18th century by a neighbor.
The names of the family as well as the town were redacted.
In attendance were many professional and academic types. The lecture was folloed by a lively and informed discussion, after which we walked home.

I am not writing this because I am self absorbed or anxious to inform you about the minutia of my life.
I am writing to tell you that I am tired of hearing negative reports and fear based hysteria from some ( not all) posters who persist in posting about the perceived flaws and danger of Scranton or Wilkes-Barre.

I invite others do do the same!
Here's the OP in case anyone forgot ^.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 11-08-2010, 05:22 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,255,616 times
Quote:
HaHa - I raised the ire of the Dr. Phil crowd..

Nothing wrong with kids skateboarding - in the proper places like a city park. Not on busy sidewalks where there are other people mulling about, not on city steps or benches where they ride the handrails and grind off the paint. Not in an area with bus traffic. What is so darned hard to understand?

And before someone peels off the next excuse - but,but there isn't a city park for over a half-mile away - let the kids walk to it - it's good exercise.

Magritte - if you were so outraged about the situation, you should have performed your civic duty and let the cops know how you feel instead of venting on an internet forum..

Do I think cops should be able to give someone a swift kick? In some instances yes. I was exaggerating a bit in the skateboard example.

Perhaps, just perhaps, if most parents today kept their kids in line and taught them to RESPECT public property and authority figures then the cops would not have to "hassle" the poor darlings.

Too many Dr. Phils, "corporal punishment of any kind = child abuse", fill them up on ADD pills.
That is what is wrong with today's society. Too many parents expecting the cops and school teachers to be baby-sitters.

Then, when little Johnny or Susie is reprimanded, the first thing they think about is cashing in with a lawsuit.

Sorry folks, but when I went to school there was a cure for ADD, and no prescription was required.
The parents of today are soft, the kids of today are soft, and both got suckered into the pop-a-pill for a cure mentality. It's no small wonder society is in such a sad state. And the pharmacutical companies and Dr Phil types are laughing all the way to the bank.

I hate Dr. Phil. But I also hate that these kids don't have a place to skateboard.

I have not a clue what the hell ADD or slapping a kid around has to do with this issue.

The police were wrong. Period.

Do you even have kids?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:23 AM

Quote:

Magritte - if you were so outraged about the situation, you should have performed your civic duty and let the cops know how you feel instead of venting on an internet forum..

I believe I said I called the police department and reported them with a license plate number.

You think I'm going to risk the ire of the WB Keystone Kops by approaching them with my two young children in tow? No way. But I did call and report them.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I hate Dr. Phil. But I also hate that these kids don't have a place to skateboard.

I have not a clue what the hell ADD or slapping a kid around has to do with this issue.

The police were wrong. Period.

Do you even have kids?
Start a petition to raise the WB earned income tax rate to 3.5% - or go for 4% and build a few more skateboard parks.

Yes, I have two grown kids, both college educated, out of the house, working and paying taxes. When they were younger, they did not act like street punks and they respected adults and authority.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Start a petition to raise the WB earned income tax rate to 3.5% - or go for 4% and build a few more skateboard parks.

Yes, I have two grown kids, both college educated, out of the house, working and paying taxes. When they were younger, they did not act like street punks and they respected adults and authority.
Sure they did Dad. Keep telling yourself that. LOL I love the parents who believe their little snowflakes never, ever disobey authority figures.

LMFAO

Actually there have been several groups that have tried to get skate parks built and they are always turned down because of the damned people who think skaters are bad. Ugh.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 AM

My kids (both boys) learned very quickly that there were drastic ramifications involved if they showed disrespect. Likewise, there were rewards for good behavior.

They saw the light at an early age... - no pills required....

Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM

That is how many parents operate, but for some reason their kids were not/are not perfect. Oh well...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania