U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 07:14 AM

25 posts, read 38,877 times

Advertisements

Hi folks,

My family and I are settling into NEPA. One thing I'm looking for some ideas on is: how to get outdoors (with children) during hunting season?

Now, I'm not completely opposed to going to parks, etc. during hunting season with orange vests, bright colors, etc. However, (1) our vests are currently in storage until our final move and (2) sometimes you just don't want anyone with guns around. On (1), yeah, they cost $3.50 at Wally World. On (2), yup, sometimes!

So, question is this: anyone have favourite spots that are "no hunting" zones.

Best,
Mark
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 09:05 AM

202 posts, read 528,377 times
Default Take Cover

during hunting season, if you have seen the movie "Open Season" you will know what I am talking about.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:21 AM

41,823 posts, read 46,438,114 times
State Parks would be the closest thing, truthfully I can't think of larger areas that are going to have non hunting other than around where people live or private property. Ricketts Glenn for example has a few square miles of non hunting area.

You can get maps here that will tell you the non hunting areas:

Pennsylvania State Parks - Find a Map - PA DCNR

Old 10-30-2010, 09:29 AM

7,932 posts, read 14,713,647 times
Ah, hunting season, the time of the year I thank God I don't live in a rural area....and the local news lead story is usually hunters loading a bloody deer carcass onto a pickup.

Old 10-30-2010, 10:20 AM

4,083 posts, read 8,505,744 times
Its been hunting season since Sept 1st. Early resident goose season opened on the 1st of Sept and we have been hunting waterfowl since then. We hunt in Lackawanna State Park in the northern end around sun up and near sunset.

I'm pretty sure that Bow is or was in for deer as well.

There are many hunting seasons in PA you know and its not just deer rifle season you need to be aware of, small game, duck, goose, coyot, bow deer, doe , etc........

PA Game Commission

Read it and understand it before you take children out in the woods. Orange vests do not stop bullets. They are only good if the hunter sees you, if he shoots at a deer and misses that bullet travels a long way if it doesn't hit anything between the hunter and the direction it was fired.

During deer season confine yourself to city parks and SUNDAYS only, its not worth taking the chance.

Remember during waterfowl seasons, NO ORANGE IS REQUIRED, we hunt in full camo from kayaks along the susquehanna river as well.
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs677.snc4/61778_447229569456_152027549456_5138934_3871579_n. jpg (broken link)

Old 10-30-2010, 10:39 AM

996 posts, read 941,783 times
Except for Sundays, I would try my best to steer clear of Pa State Game Lands and State Forest sections which allow hunting. All of the Pa. State Parks have areas open for public non-hunting use if you feel the need to enjoy the great outdoors during the week.

Orange is not required for non-hunters, but extremely advisable and posted on all info boards at PGC lots. If you take a dog, have a bright colored collar or bandana on its neck.

Besides safety, another reason to keep out is consideration for hunters, some of which have invested alot of time and effort scouting an area - esp bow hunters.

The majority of hunters are responsible, safe, environmental-minded people and police their own ranks. But that does not totally eliminate risk.

Phillies - hunters pay the lion share for the upkeep and oversight of the Pa State Game lands via license dollars and excise tax on hunting related sales. Some even have the audacity to criticize non-hunters that use game lands for other reasons (biking,hiking,horse riding,geocaching) without having to pay a user access fee - imagine that...

p.s. if you happen to hear distant gun fire on a Sunday stroll through the woods - don't freak out - coyotes are open season 365/24/7, and we are dressed like the guy in the previous pic..

Old 10-30-2010, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Phillies - hunters pay the lion share for the upkeep and oversight of the Pa State Game lands via license dollars and excise tax on hunting related sales. Some even have the audacity to criticize non-hunters that use game lands for other reasons (biking,hiking,horse riding,geocaching) without having to pay a user access fee - imagine that...
It's actually a pretty unique situation, hunting in most states is limited to private lands and federally owned land because they do not have the vast tracts of publicly owned land at the state level like we do here. Thank a hunter for preserving and providing these lands for your use.

Old 11-01-2010, 11:50 AM

1,483 posts, read 2,966,811 times
Hunting is actually on my CONS list I'm now making about where to move to.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IlonaG View Post
Hunting is actually on my CONS list I'm now making about where to move to.
PA especially in the rural areas is not the state for you. There is more than a million registered hunters in this state.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:59 PM

18,403 posts, read 15,191,737 times
There are very few shots fired during our present day hunting seasons. That does not mean that you can be careless. There is always one hunter that will fire without thinking. Accidents are few and far between.

Twenty/thirty years ago it would sound like a war on the first day of buck and doe seasons. I miss the days when it did sound like a war. The closer the gunfire; the better. What I mean is that, as a hunter, your odds were greater at seeing your game as the gunfire got closer. Especially if I would hear multiple shots - the game was usually still alive and could be coming in my direction.

We just do not have the deer that we used to have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania