Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 10:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,163,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
When crap like the crucible submerged in urine was displayed as "art" while funded by a NEA grant (funded with taxpayer dollars), we taxpayers certainly are entitled to opinion.

If it was up to me, the freak would have earned his money by painting city fire hydrants.
You mean crucifix? You can say it's bad, it sucks, it's disgusting, it's offensive. But it is art.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,752,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
You mean crucifix? You can say it's bad, it sucks, it's disgusting, it's offensive. But it is art.
What's artistic about that? Art is short for "artistic." There's nothing creative or artistic about sticking a crucufix in urine....it was meant to be nothing more than inflammatory and insulting. Look at the uproar from Muslims over the burning Koran or a drawing of Mohammed with a bomb on his head....that's OK for Muslims to be insulted by people being derogatory towards their religion, but people think that Christians do not have the right to be insulted by people literally pi$$ing on their religion. Somehow, Mohammed with a bomb on his head is seen as an insult, but a sacred Christian symbol submerged in human waste is called "art." (and even gets government funding)

Old 11-08-2010, 11:26 AM

996 posts, read 1,048,458 times
I'm not religious, that part does not offend me.

I'm offended by a talentless lazy hack that sucked grant money from the taxpayer teat.

If I were king - there would be no NEA grants - let the "art patrons" support their own community.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,929,164 times
Quote:

I'm offended by a talentless lazy hack that sucked grant money from the taxpayer teat.

If I were king - there would be no NEA grants - let the "art patrons" support their own community.
Ummmmmmmm...no I do not have to agree it is ART. ART is subjective, period. Just because someone else calls it ART, does not mean I have to agree with them!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because someone is willing to pay a whacko price, still does not mean it is art in my view, or perspective. ART like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
What's artistic about that? Art is short for "artistic." There's nothing creative or artistic about sticking a crucufix in urine....it was meant to be nothing more than inflammatory and insulting. Look at the uproar from Muslims over the burning Koran or a drawing of Mohammed with a bomb on his head....that's OK for Muslims to be insulted by people being derogatory towards their religion, but people think that Christians do not have the right to be insulted by people literally pi$$ing on their religion. Somehow, Mohammed with a bomb on his head is seen as an insult, but a sacred Christian symbol submerged in human waste is called "art." (and even gets government funding)
I looked up what you were talking about. It could be a statement about how Christianity, while expecting everyone to conform to their belief system, fails to see how their very own actions make their religion seem like excrement to others.

Also, the artist was making a statement about the cheapening of Christ's image through commercialization, like selling t-shirts to teen Christians that have the Tide detergent logo on it with words saying, "No one cleans your soul like Christ".

As for the Muslim with a bomb on his head illustration, I believe that is a valid form of expressive art as well. I would defend that as art too.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Meh. And if I were queen I would make the arts, language and other humanity driven subjects as important in schools as gym, football and cheerleading.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Ummmmmmmm...no I do not have to agree it is ART. ART is subjective, period. Just because someone else calls it ART, does not mean I have to agree with them!!!!!!!!!!!! Just because someone is willing to pay a whacko price, still does not mean it is art in my view, or perspective. ART like beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Who says art is supposed to be aesthetically appealing? It's not. It's about taking elements and arranging them in a way that symbolizes a statement from the originator of the piece.

Believing art is supposed to be "pretty" is one of the reasons I think arts education is sorely lacking in this country.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM

Quote:

Believing art is supposed to be "pretty" is one of the reasons I think arts education is sorely lacking in this country.
It should be creative and require talent. Anyone with an IQ of 50 and zero artistic talent can put a crucifix in urine.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Meh. And if I were queen I would make the arts, language and other humanity driven subjects as important in schools as gym, football and cheerleading.
Art is not something that can be taught...its a talent, and you either have it or you don't. My son is very gifted when it comes to drawing...more advanced than most adults. And its a natural talent...he wasn't taught at an art school or took lessons or anything....its just his second nature.

Sure, you can learn art history in a classroom or art appreciation, but artistic talent is something that certain people are born with.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:48 AM

996 posts, read 1,048,458 times
Quote:
If/when you pull in attendance figures to generate sufficent revenue to offset the program costs, you will have my support.

Until then, try to ween the little darlins away from the govt teat. as you prepare them for a working life at the fast food or retail counter.

You remind me of Nancy Pelosi, who had the gall to attempt to provide free govt healthcare to "artists" so they would not have to worry about funding it as they "chased their dreams". No wonder California is about ready to fall off the cliff... LMAO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania