Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 01:34 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

^ Yeah, but a Vandling-to-Wilkes-Barre commute everyday?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
To the OP, as someone who grew up in NEPA and now lives in Northern Virginia, which feels very much like Southern California in so many ways except for the climate (think high housing prices, terrible traffic congestion, materialism, endless bland sprawl, etc.) I can safely assure you PA will be a breath of fresh air. After just a year-and-a-half I've "burned out" living in Northern Virginia, and I'm returning to my roots in PA, albeit this time I'm giving Pittsburgh a shot since it has all the amenities of a major city while still feeling like a big small town (it's like Scranton on steroids---only without the horribly pessimistic people).

We have quite a few members on here who live in Wilkes-Barre proper (Magritte25, W-B Proud, Karnak, chefkey, Sheena12, InfectedMushroom, and some others), and they are all very happy living there. Wilkes-Barre was a horrible place to be in general as recently as the early-2000s, but in the past five years the city has been undergoing a rapid metamorphasis for the better. It still has a horrible image overall, but now with a movie theater, lofts/condos, new night clubs, a Barnes & Noble, new stores opening up, new restaurants, a new riverfront park, blight demolition, a new streetscape, etc. there are reasons to be optimistic again. There are still a lot of Debbie Downers around about Wilkes-Barre (whom I silence as well as I can when they pop up), but if they're that oblivious that they can't see the city is starting to get its act together after decades of steep decline, then I really don't know what else to say to them. The city is estimated to have lost only ONE resident between 2008 and 2009. Yes, from 2000-2010 the population will have still declined, but it will be at its lowest decline for a decade since the 1930s. That's very significant, and it shows that it's VERY likely that Wilkes-Barre will be growing again, at least modestly, between 2010-2020. People think Wilkes-Barre is this crime-infested cess pool, but when I was leaving NEPA for NoVA I noticed Scranton was definitely playing "catch up" in the crime department.

As far as "good schools" go the Top 5 in the county, in no particular order, are Dallas, Crestwood, Lake-Lehman, Wyoming Area, and Pittston Area. All five of these districts are generally middle-class to upper-middle-class in nature. Dallas and Crestwood are replete with a ton of newer housing subdivisions, but there are still some rural properties to be had. Lake-Lehman has a blend of newer suburbia and country tranquility. Wyoming Area is inner suburban, and Pittston Area has transitioned very quickly over just the past decade in particular to having a white-collar uptick with a lot of upscale newer neighborhoods capitalizing upon its equidistance to Scranton or Wilkes-Barre for commuting purposes.

If you want a great "small town" environment (albeit a bit cliquey to newcomers) then try West Pittston. It has a lot of beautiful older homes, tree-lined streets, sidewalks, tons of families, and is about a 20-minute drive each way to Wilkes-Barre. If you want sterile suburbia or some acreage try the Back Mountain (Dallas/Shavertown areas) or Mountain Top (Crestwood). Pittston Area offers the gamut from declining urban parts of the City of Pittston on up to near-seven-figure homes in Pittston Twp. and Jenkins Twp.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:09 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
I am new to Wilkes Barre and so far so good! I see ourselves as urban piomeers enjoying an area with low preperty taxes, a low cost of living and an abundence of low priced housing options.
We also looked in some surrounding areas that I would be happy to familiarize you with.

It is IMHO, an up and coming area.My circa 1900 home would sell for the high 300s low 400s in Stony Brook NY. Here we bought it for a fraction of that and our taxes are well under 2000 -per YEAR!
This is a very livable area, and I would be happy to provide you with more information, if you send me a private message

Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
Since you have young chi;dren your educatoional otions abound. The public schools are desent in the elementary grades.
I am partial to Kingston and Forty-Fort with large 1920s stylr homes and a decent school district especially in thr elementary grades.
People do tend to like the Dallas area and Mountain Top.Newer homes, more land. I like older homed but that is a matter of taste.
Independent School options in the area abound for elemrntary age students and tuition is low, as compared to NY - look into The Wilkes Barre Academy, Wyoming Seminary in Kingston, Wyoming Valley Montessouri School and Good Shepherd Academy.
There are a variety of Christian and Jewish Day options.
Again contact me if you need help!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:48 AM

212 posts, read 502,404 times
I am just curious about what is so bad about Southern California that is drowning. I know nothing about the west coast and just would like to know why...
Is it really that bad that is like worse than nyc?

I mean nyc is pretty stressful already (by the way, it is the MOST stressful city in USA for 2010).

I can share this with you though... The Pocono is like a heavenly escape for those who live in nyc. No I do not mean the daily commute to work... but as a weekend home. working 5 days in nyc and staying 2 days 2nights weekly there is just wonderful.
completely de-stress. poconogirl.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
I am just curious about what is so bad about Southern California that is drowning. I know nothing about the west coast and just would like to know why...
Is it really that bad that is like worse than nyc?

I mean nyc is pretty stressful already (by the way, it is the MOST stressful city in USA for 2010).

I can share this with you though... The Pocono is like a heavenly escape for those who live in nyc. No I do not mean the daily commute to work... but as a weekend home. working 5 days in nyc and staying 2 days 2nights weekly there is just wonderful.
completely de-stress. poconogirl.

I'm not sure how it compares to NYC...I've never been there, but I can only imagine! As far as cost of living goes, CA is up there, if not number 1. A 300,000-500,000 house in Pa could be a multi million dollar home in Orange County. The traffic is incredible. I've been told, "if you can drive in California, you can drive anywhere." The people here aren't the greatest either. There are always exceptions, but the majority are ridiculously materialistic and everything revolves around impressing everyone else. The education is garbage and the classes usually consist of at least 30 children. The weather is beautiful, and many people enjoy living here. It might be an okay place to live if you are already financially set, but as a young family trying to get on our feet, it is a very discouraging place to be. I have 3 year old twins and I want them to grow up somewhere where they don't think the norm is to starve themselves, own only things with designer labels, and drive an expensive car when they turn 16. They are amazing kids and I want the best for them. My uncle lives in NYC and I know it's crazy, that's why I would prefer something other than NY or OC I'm ready for a slower pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania