Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 04:32 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,654,704 times

Advertisements

Some good and some bad news........included here.

Just noticed the other day our Gold Star Diner is gone, leveled......
I think it was previously reported a new CVS would go there so we'll see as progress goes along. Sad to see another dining place leave.

Great news is that there is a huge Walmart now down in Lehighton/Mahoning area. I have never seen a Walmart as big anywhere. Its quite exciting to visit.
Hey, if Trump can shop there...so can we.

Another interesting note is that a Tractor Supply is heading to Brodheadsville, the new road to it is already in formation.
I have never been in one, ever.........but, my doctor says it is his favorite store. I might finally see what that is all about.

I don't know when our new Shop Rite will rise up, but I would sure love to have a more spacious store. I love the quality of their goods, but the old store is getting so crowded. The space is marked out and it sits awaiting the grand day.

So this is some news from the West End of the Poconos.......
We might be getting some sprawl, but we need that here....So thank goodness for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 05:07 PM

173 posts, read 582,171 times
yes CVS is being built where gold star was. Seems silly because there is a CVS and a Rite Aid maybe 5 miles down the road in brodheadsville. The last report i heard they had no itentions of closing the CVS in brodheadsville. Just doesn't seem like enough demand to justify two CVS stores within 5 miles of each other. This isn't NYC!

Yes waiting on the shoprite and the walmart which are supposed to build in that big empty field. Dont really care about shop rite, but having a walmart locally would be nice. I am used to having some sort of department store... used to have Jamesway, then Ames... But haven't had any department store in the area since Ames closed.

Old 11-11-2010, 05:59 PM

177 posts, read 466,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pocopc View Post
yes CVS is being built where gold star was. Seems silly because there is a CVS and a Rite Aid maybe 5 miles down the road in brodheadsville. The last report i heard they had no itentions of closing the CVS in brodheadsville. Just doesn't seem like enough demand to justify two CVS stores within 5 miles of each other. This isn't NYC!

Yes waiting on the shoprite and the walmart which are supposed to build in that big empty field. Dont really care about shop rite, but having a walmart locally would be nice. I am used to having some sort of department store... used to have Jamesway, then Ames... But haven't had any department store in the area since Ames closed.
Walmart is no Jamesway or Ames. Size does not make up for their loss. They were great stores.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:29 PM

173 posts, read 582,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
Walmart is no Jamesway or Ames. Size does not make up for their loss. They were great stores.

I agree, i prefer Kmart over walmart but i'll take what i can get. if i need something it would be nice to have a department store less then 30 minutes away In the past if i needed socks i could quick run out and get them. Now i have to 'plan a trip' thats atleast 2 hours!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:34 PM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Not all sprawl is bad! There are some areas that are just inconvenient. They need a new store to add to the general livability of the place.
Sorry about the loss of your diner! Diners are generally a safe place for those who enjoy eating healthy!
Not a fan of fast food- hope that you get somthing better!
~Sheena

Old 11-12-2010, 06:21 AM

Oh not at all, I love a little sprawl myself..........
I didn't love the Gold Star diner as far as quality of foods, but it was convenient for a quick bite.
It is very true we already have two very good drug stores in the local area. We certainly don't need another CVS......
Kmart is probably our closest department store to head to, in Wind Gap. A Walmart would be great.
I always remember the photo of Trump and his wife leaving Walmart with supplies for their daughter going to college. Everyone enjoys getting a good buy.
I always purchased bikes either in Ames or Walmart for the little fellows. Not one broke down.
As they grew they would need the next size, the next upgrade. So, out we would go for replacements.
Its great for paper goods and all those quick runs for this or that.
Bontons and Boscov's are still my favorite stores but, I'd be holding my breath forever to think they would show up in our small town.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:56 AM

1,935 posts, read 3,140,817 times
Ya gotta be f*%$ kiddin' me!! The Gold Star Diner is gone!! That really sucks...wish I had stopped by beforehand...it was such nice local place to eat and relax at...what a shame...when was their last day, Summering, do you know?? Can't see why another CVS would be needed but then again it would help those up in that area especially during the winter season in not having to drive down to the one in Brodheadsville...they should close that one though cuz that corner where the current one is located is such a pain to get to with the traffic...now a Wal-Mart in Brodheadsville we don't need...we have enough already...one in Mt. Pocono, one in E. Stroudsburg, and one in Wilson...how many more do we actually need...Tractor Supply Co. on the other hand would definitely do well here considering all the farmers in the areas and the need for a store of this type for heavy equipment needs...can't wait till the ShopRite expands...those aisles can get pretty congested during regular shopping days...during the holidays fuggeddaboutit!!

Old 11-12-2010, 07:03 AM

3,932 posts, read 2,336,598 times
I am still waiting on Costco to jump in the Poconos. Not a big fan of BJ's. Costco pricing is much better and I would do Sam's Club which is only a cut above BJ's. JMO.

Old 11-12-2010, 11:02 AM

24,091 posts, read 32,431,870 times
Summering I love both Boscov's and Bonton's too! So I guess along with voting is the recent election I am an offcial Pennsylvanian!

It does sound beautiful where you live!

Old 11-12-2010, 02:38 PM

It is ........It is quite beautiful. But, we do need another department store........I am official too, I just voted again in the recent election........( voting here for at least 15 years)

One of the reasons I love those two stores is that they are so Pennsylvania! There isn't any in NJ ( or at least not were I resided)

Boscovs in NY was so great to me this week. I was in a rush to get to the Nursery School. They let me run upstairs with my gifts that were not even rung up as yet...( hubby was there) They called to the gift dept to give them the ok to start the boxing and wrapping.
I went to pay.......and it was all free. Nice foil wrap......I skipped the bows because I have my own ribbon at home.
I love Home Goods up that way, and in NJ. I really want just one good, solid department store nearby me.......One of these days.

Mr Webb.........I don't know when it became empty. We kept seeing the lot with no cars. Once in awhile there were cars........Then on our way home this Thursday afternoon........Gone, flattened.
The people were very nice there for sure. Sad to see it go........

I know some people coming from the lakes up that way really liked having that restaurant. There isn't much along 534, and out beyond.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania