Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2010, 03:12 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

OK, NEPA hunters........Please do tell me there is a skunk hunting season.
I had the worst night with the odor of skunks drifting into the bedroom.

I swear the Jersey skunks just walked around without telling everyone they were there. Perhaps the Jersey attitude.

All kidding aside.......this was horrific.

I met up with a hunter in Giants today that laughed at my suggestion of when the season was........" they are good for the environment".......Ugh!

I spent the morning spraying the house with frebreeze.....

Seriously, I just know there is not a hunting season for this animal........
Why not? I am so hoping they do not return.

Honestly, I think I am allergic to all that odor.......just awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2010, 03:43 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
You are in luck - except Sundays - there is no closed season on skunks, opossums, or weasels.
Buy a hunting or furbearer license to be legal. I suggest a 22lr shell to the brain - it will be dead before it can even spray. Don't hit their backside for obvious reasons. Last years avg pelt price was $4.42 which will offset the licence cost.

If you prefer kindler & gentler plan of attack, Havaheart traps work - try sliced apple for bait. When captured, slowly approach and drop a blanket over the cage. Then figure out your next move.

I like the smell of skunk when it is weak. But getting blasted sucks - took my dog twice to finally figure it out..

Old 11-14-2010, 03:46 PM

p.s. - are you sure it is skunks or is it possible a couple kids were smoking some good stuff ?

btw - skunks eat alot of grubs and other creature out of people lawns, they mostly come out late at night.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 PM

OH yep.........It is Pennsylvania skunks. Yes, they have found an area of the lawn that must still have grubs, even though we have treated it.

You most likely wouldn't like this full blown odor.....It was taking my breath away. Sour, strong, ugly!

Kinder, gentler........I would like but with my luck before I got the sheet over, or after, it would squirt me. What happens when it squirts in the car on its way out of the trap? I'd never ride in my car again.

I have never shot a gun.......LOL What I need is my SIL who is a Sheriff and teaches markmanship. But, your right its about 2AM to 4AM even as I blasted the outdoor lights.

I wonder if he is legal for PA or just NJ?.........

I love animals but really this is horrible. Just awful.........

Thank you varmintblaster for your information........I may just have to start target practice with a nerf gun soon.

Old 11-14-2010, 04:22 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
I personally never smelt so many skunks till I moved to N. Scranton, where I use to live( rental) the smell was in the air almost ever summer night!!!!!! Not to bad in my new neighborhood...just an occasional"...omg..."!

Old 11-14-2010, 04:40 PM

Summering - unless they have their den under your house or shed, they will move on once they clean your yard from the grubs. It won't take them long. This time of year they will work lwans pretty heavy to get the grubs before the ground freezes.

I'd give it a week or so, perhaps you need do nothing.

Don't flash the lights on them, it startles them and when they get startled, they spray.

I get a few passing through my yard now and then, they actually do me a favor by aerating the lawn a bit

Old 11-14-2010, 04:49 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
I trap them and " make them disappear", I use cb shorts, sounds like an air rifle but its a 22 I use peanut butter rather than apples..

Old 11-14-2010, 05:00 PM

Oh good gosh.........if I got close to the trap I would be sprayed by these very potent rascals.
Now, I have to get a gun and a permit.......
I can't even imagine me and a gun........
If I knew when they would return I'd ask the SIL to do the job for sure.

Old 11-14-2010, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Summering - unless they have their den under your house or shed, they will move on once they clean your yard from the grubs. It won't take them long. This time of year they will work lwans pretty heavy to get the grubs before the ground freezes.

I'd give it a week or so, perhaps you need do nothing.

Don't flash the lights on them, it startles them and when they get startled, they spray.

I get a few passing through my yard now and then, they actually do me a favor by aerating the lawn a bit
Ok..........This might be a good plan. For some reason we just didn't get the grub killer down in time. I see where they are just ruining the lawn big time. I have two acres so they can have a field day. Although I see the grub area of dead grass, and that is the area they are at.

I didn't do the light until way after the spraying.......I was so sick by then.
It affects me like an allergy would.

Problem is these smell worse then I ever knew a skunk could.......
We have a full basement and the shed .......I don't think they are under. There is a huge area of woods behind our home, that goes on and on........

Old 11-14-2010, 05:09 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
I have a suggestion, Summering...get a flame-thrower!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania