Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2010, 12:42 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

I guess I am really not used to the state - or should I say comonwealth, having so much interest and control over what adults do in the privacy of their own homes, but this one really reeks of Big Brother!

On Sunday, DH and I decided to host a very small impromptu Halloween get together.

We picked up a variety of cheeses, apples, crackers, crackers and deserts.

We noticed a new large wine cooler at Wegman's and we decided to pick up a bottle of wine as well.
There was a small croud of people gathered around the vending machine which was locked - I think because it was a Sunday. But since Sunday is not everyone's sabbath - and everyone does not honor a sabbath for that matter, why should the Christian religion be involved with this?

I then found out how the thing worked and I was a bit horrified!

You first have to blow into a device like a breatherlizer, then submit a valid state ID while you are being taped, or photographed by a person in the capitol!

This seems like a whole lot of degrdation and invasion of privacy to go through for adults to pick up a bottle of wine!
The whole thing seemed doubly crazy when only yards away stood Wegmans Beer World!

Does anyone else think this is a bit exsessive?

I did most of my undergrad work in MA, which blamed it's archaic alchohol laws on it's Puritan past - liquor stores were called "state stores" or "package stores" the "packie" for short because of their practice of wrapping all sales up in a bown paper bag, so no one could see what you have bought.

But PA has no Puritan past. What's the story?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2010, 12:49 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,825,178 times
Hey if the extra steps keeps someone who is already tipsy from getting more booze and maybe getting in their car and driving...I don't see the big deal. Maybe if so many people didn't abuse alcohol (the majority of adults in NEPA have their social lives revolve around binge drinking), then maybe such barriers to buying alcohol wouldn't be necessary. I drink beer once in a while, but I don't drink goat pee and I don't drink to get drunk.....I still get carded when I buy a 6 pack, even with some gray hair, but I don't care. And I'd gladly give them a breathalyzer if I had to.

And as much as people complain about the LCB and the state stores....I would rather my taxes be offset by the revenue the state makes from wine and liquor, rather than it being sold in every shady foreign-owned liquor store with some pimple face teenager working the counter and selling it to his buddies, as in many other states.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:51 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
IMO - the majority of the Pa. LCB agency is unnecessary, and nothing more than political cronyism, same as the DEA but on a much smaller scale.

Makes no sense why a person can buy beer on a Sunday but not wine or spirits.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:58 PM

I believe some of the state stores are open on Sunday now.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:03 PM

24,124 posts, read 32,491,384 times
What I don't understand is why the different standards for wine and beer?
I am with varmintblaster on this one!
Doesn't anyone feel as though the state is treating people like criminals or acting in a paternalistic manner?

And really, do you think that a person who has already been imbibing, is going to submit to a supermarket adminstered breathalizer test? One that involves submission of a state license?

Real addicts are pretty cagey people.
DH has worked with dual diagnosis patients for 20 years?

And what about the issue of separation of church and state?

I think it's annoying and intrusive!

Old 11-01-2010, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Doesn't anyone feel as though the state is treating people like criminals or acting in a paternalistic manner?

And really, do you think that a person who has already been imbibing, is going to submit to a supermarket adminstered breathalizer test? One that involves submission of a state license?

You're right, somebody who has been imbibing probably won't submit to the breathalyzer....so that means the breatalyzer is doing its job.

I don't think it has anything to do with separation of church and state. Sure, laws about stores being closed on Sunday may have started that way, but even the liquor stores are now open on Sunday...at least the bigger locations are.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

I guess you should of looked into it before you moved here. Ever since that fateful day you have done nothing but complain about the way the people are here, our laws and standards and opinions of our area...

It is what it is and this are the little things you should have researched. The liquor laws don't bother me at all. I don't think that most of the people here are bothered by them much either.

Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,439 times
Shenna needs to meet a few NEPA old timers that make wine in their cellars.

One sip of Day-Go red wine from Pittston will make her laugh at the machine offerings.

Can't wait for Turkey Day to pick up my order of the best home brewed wine ever - the closest thing to a cure for the common cold that I know about..

Old 11-01-2010, 04:04 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,099,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Shenna needs to meet a few NEPA old timers that make wine in their cellars.

One sip of Day-Go red wine from Pittston will make her laugh at the machine offerings.

Can't wait for Turkey Day to pick up my order of the best home brewed wine ever - the closest thing to a cure for the common cold that I know about..
The good stuff is made up da line.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:12 PM

2 posts, read 4,274 times
PA has the WORST liqour laws i have ever seen!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania