Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 02:55 PM

2 posts, read 20,934 times

Advertisements

Hi, I just moved to NEPA from Miami Florida. I came here to go to school, I'm 18 years old, and i was just wondering what do kids do around here?!
So far everyone hangs out on campus and thats getting awful boring.
I was just wondering if you guys knew where teens hang out, what there is to do, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Allie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2007, 06:54 PM

142 posts, read 537,030 times
Lets see, hmmm ...in my town (Honesdale) the majority of teens hang out at the football games, the baseball games, at the school Summer concerts, at the local bowling alley, at the Gravity ice cream stand, at the park on Court street for special events that they personally get involved in. Many times they just hang out with their parents....you know how that can be... EXTRA awful boring!

Old 09-03-2007, 07:31 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,155 times
Where are you in NEPA??

Old 09-03-2007, 07:42 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebell View Post
Hi, I just moved to NEPA from Miami Florida. I came here to go to school, I'm 18 years old, and i was just wondering what do kids do around here?!
I was just wondering if you guys knew where teens hang out, what there is to do, etc. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
Allie
Welcome to NEPA, Allie! I'm a 20-year-old college student (King's), so perhaps I can be of assistance? You didn't specify what "campus" you attend, so I'll assume that you attend one in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area. Scranton and Wilkes-Barre themselves each have their own amenities, but they'll all get "old" and "boring" if you don't have a car, as mass transit options around here aren't the greatest.

Students from the University of Scranton tend to congregate in and around the downtown area of Scranton, especially at Northern Lights Espresso Bar on Spruce Street, Tink's on Linden Street, and the Mall at Steamtown on Lackawanna Avenue. If you attend Lackawanna College, there's also quite a bit to do in Downtown Scranton. Marywood and PSU/Worthington are both a bit more far-flung and would require a car to get to anywhere worthwhile (now's the time when you realize why we commuter "townies" are like prime property to befriend so we can drive you places!!! LOL!) Downtown Scranton has been bouncing back quite a bit as of late---a new used bookstore is also coming in the upcoming months in the second floor of the Casey Laundry Building, above Outrageous and the Marquis Gallery. If you're into art at all, then you'll love First Fridays in Scranton, in which you can hop a free trolley and ride around to different galleries, studios, meet-and-greets, etc.

Wilkes-Barre is a bit less "happenin" than Scranton, but its downtown seems to be bouncing back much more quickly than Scranton's has (ALL new redevelopment downtown has been within the past two years or so in Wilkes-Barre). Within walking distance of either King's or Wilkes are a new movie theater, two nightclubs, a billiards hall, restaurants, Barnes & Noble, Starbucks, the F.M. Kirby Center for the Performing Arts, Kirby Park, Arts YouNiverse, and the twin upcoming projects of the riverfront park reclamation and the major gallery/studio makeover at the Irem Temple on North Franklin Street. Both Scranton and Wilkes-Barre have been undergoing renaissances over the past few years that should make each more "fun" places to be in the upcoming years (which is why I'm investing in the city myself in the future before prices skyrocket with the influx of NY/NJ investors).

If you let me know which campus you're attending, I could probably provide you with better answers. Welcome again to NEPA!

Old 09-03-2007, 08:51 PM

14 posts, read 91,949 times
Default under 21 club

Quote:
Originally Posted by alliebell View Post
Allie
Every Friday night there is an under 21 club in Plains. It is between Scranton & Wilkes Barre. It is called "The Twist". They have a website if you are interested.

Old 09-05-2007, 04:28 AM

201 posts, read 538,800 times
Default Teen hangouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pill-head View Post
Every Friday night there is an under 21 club in Plains. It is between Scranton & Wilkes Barre. It is called "The Twist". They have a website if you are interested.

Isn't the Twist a gay bar? Not that there is anything wrong with that but maybe this individual is not gay.

Old 09-05-2007, 06:35 AM

14 posts, read 91,949 times
The Twist has 3 areas. Outside patio in back, a bar, and a dance area. The dance area is open EVERY Friday to all ages. trust me, I don't think any of us over the age of 21 go into that area. It is PACKED with kids. And I have been there on quite a few Fridays, (I just stay in the patio area or the regular bar), and most of those kids look str8. But it is a place for them to go, so gay or str8 they like it there.

Old 09-06-2007, 03:57 PM

422 posts, read 2,005,076 times
Many teens hang out at the gates at Pocono Country Place. HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA THEN they hang out in jail.....haahhahhahahahha

Old 09-06-2007, 06:33 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyMe View Post
Many teens hang out at the gates at Pocono Country Place. HAHHAHAHAHHAHAHHA THEN they hang out in jail.....haahhahhahahahha
...then they hang out with Bubba in the showers.

Old 09-07-2007, 03:14 AM

92 posts, read 298,389 times
Guys...try to remember...a teen started the thread. Let's not do it this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania