Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2010, 03:55 PM

996 posts, read 1,052,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I think we are all set up for dinner. Funny how many people love that movie! My kids are teens now and they still watch it with us, with popcorn and hot chocolate!

They make home made wine in PA?
Is that like bootlegging or is it legal here?
Is it safe ? Where do you buy it?
Sheena - for the most part it is legal. Pa law allows so many gallons to be home-brewed (can't recall the exact # - may be 300 gallons if i remember correctly).

You have to know the folks that make it. They sell to a select few people.
Technically it is illegal to sell the wine, but the makers are not into making it for the money, it;s more of a tradition. Besides the ingredients are not exactly cheap and they deserve to recoup their costs. This years order will cost me $26 a gallon. I ordered 3 red, 2 white. I get mine from Pittston and it is referred to as D-E-G-O red wine. (I don't know why the filter blocks that word). I will be picking mine up the week of T-day.

It is fantastic wine - I keep a gallon in the fridge through Jan for medicinal purposes - it will cure the common cold and sweat the evil spirits out of you!!.

Another homemade concoction that a buddy of mine makes is called Apple Jack and is illegal to make (or so I hear).. He starts with pure apple cider that has no preservatives in it at all. he does his magic with it and turns it into wine..

Then, as the temps grow colder, he will put jugs of it outside on his porch and let it partially freeze/thaw a couple of times. The last freeze cycle he will poke a hole into the ice and drain all the good stuff out of the jug, and leave the ice (water portion) behind..

This is very high octane stuff - much like shine.... The reason it is illegal is that you are not allowed to concentrate the alcohol content (i.e. the freezing process).

These products do not get the PLCB seal of approval. That's another reason why they are sooo good...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2010, 07:54 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,915,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
I get mine from Pittston and it is referred to as D-E-G-O red wine. (I don't know why the filter blocks that word). I will be picking mine up the week of T-day.
It's misspelling of Italian slur D-A-G-O also blocked, <hears the gears click in VB's head> another fine light bulb moment.

My understanding it's also used amongst Italian friends hence the reason it's acceptable at least in the context of the wine.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:35 PM

Coalman:

The dreaded D word is not a slur (I think the use of A or E depends on what part of Italy one is descended from)..

I do know a couple of overly-sensitive EYEtalians that refuse to eat at Burger King because they find the Whopper to be a degrading term...

I'm part Italian and take it all in stride..

btw :

Q: Do you know why the New Italian Navy has glass bottomed boats?

A: So they can see the Old Italian Navy...

Old 11-18-2010, 09:29 AM

99 posts, read 234,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I would hit up a VFW or American Legion,, Most have free meals But are willing to accept donations . Ive spent a few Thanksgivings helping cook those free meals and I can say ,Its a GREAT way to meet people in your area , and at the same time have a great meal, And truly be thankful. For most of those around you fought to give us the freedom we enjoy , And for that I am truly Thankful...

Happy Thanksgiving ...
I don't think you're going to find much of anything vegan at the VFW or AL, though. Maybe the beer is.

Old 11-18-2010, 07:35 PM

23,955 posts, read 32,283,727 times
You are right nepadaisy. However not eating meat is becoming more mainstream and middle American.
The Walmart's Super Center in Wilkes Barre sells the following items:
tofu - several varieties
Silk Soy milk
Walmart's OWN brand of soy milk
Morningstar Farms riblets
Morningstar Farms Veggie burgers
Morningstar Farms Chik nuggets and patties
Yeves Not Dogs
and... Veggie Spanish sausage - chorizo!

For the most part they do not cater to what we used to call "Yuppies"
So SOME ONE is buying this stuff!

Old 11-18-2010, 08:52 PM

Sheena - I like my veggies and fruits. Eat a lot of them.

I love beans, especially red or black beans on a bed of rice, but I must have a piece of pork or lean meat to go along with it (preferably Pa vennison).

I actually tried eating tofu once - perhaps I did a terrible job prepping it, but it reminded me of that oozy goop that the dentist puts in your mouth when they are making a mold for a crown...

Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM

I am one good cook. That's all I'll say. My guess is you have some fondness for animals.
Well maybe I'm wrong there but I get that feeling.
I do not think that you would ever go vegetarian.
But some how I don't see you as the type of guy who would enjoy the sights and sounds of a slaughter house.
I make such good stir fried tofu - I serve it with dipping sauces encrusted with sesame seeds.

Most of my friends know what it is - my 17 year old has a bunch of hungry friends around 6 6'3" who hang around for my spicy barbecue tid bits.

Bet you'd like 'em!

Old 11-19-2010, 05:12 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,231,741 times
I think it's a great decision to become a vegetarian, or even a vegan. But it isn't for me. I don't think I could give up meat.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:53 AM

I totally understand. I never try to covert people. But I do think that most sane people would be revolted by factory farms if they bothered to look.

Old 11-19-2010, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I am one good cook. That's all I'll say. My guess is you have some fondness for animals.
Well maybe I'm wrong there but I get that feeling.
I do not think that you would ever go vegetarian.
But some how I don't see you as the type of guy who would enjoy the sights and sounds of a slaughter house.
I make such good stir fried tofu - I serve it with dipping sauces encrusted with sesame seeds.

Most of my friends know what it is - my 17 year old has a bunch of hungry friends around 6 6'3" who hang around for my spicy barbecue tid bits.

Bet you'd like 'em!
I probably would Sheena. I don't think I flavored or spiced mine up enough.

I decided to try cooking tofu after watching a cooking show on on WVIA public TV station one night - it was that red headed vegan lady Christina (Christina Cooks Show).

I pan-fried some up in virgin olive oil, I made sure the pan and oil were hot so the tofu would not get saturated with oil, but it still didn't come well for my tastes. I like a bit of crunch - mine tasted like Play Dough...

I have nothing against vegans or slaugterhouses. While I don't like the way animals are raised for slaughter to feed the masses, it is a necessary practice in order to raise so many to meet the demand.

I try to limit my store purchases of meats - I don't like the idea of them injecting hormones and preservatives and dyes, etc in my food source. That is another reason why I am an avid hunter and choose to harvest as much meat as I can.

I occaisional get together with a friend and we will buy a pig or cow directly from an area farmer and he will slaughter and quarter it for us.
We not only save money, but we avoid the secret substances used by the big corporate processers.

Too many people today are far far removed from their food sources these days and do not give it a second thought.

Mod edit

I found the entire process quite remarkable. Nothing went to waste. Even the blood feathers and innards were sold off as fertilizer.

I'm not saying that I would want to work in such a place day after day,
but I found the process to be as humane as possible.

p.s. - did you ever watch that Christina Cooks show?
I enjoy it. But I think the guy that hangs around with her and plays the guitar is always stoned off his azz - his eyes are as red as a stopsign.. (not that there's anything wrong with that!! ).

Last edited by toobusytoday; 11-19-2010 at 12:11 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania