Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 12:59 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times

Advertisements

Flood Project Causes Detour in Scranton

Wednesday, July 10, 1:47 p.m.

The 900 block of Green Ridge Street will close for eight weeks.

A flood project is causing a detour around a busy road in Lackawanna County.

The 900 block of Green Ridge Street in Scranton between Penn and Capouse Avenues will close at 7 a.m. Wednesday.

It's because of construction on the Meadowbrook Creek flood project.

That section of Green Ridge Street will remain closed for about eight weeks while work is going on.

Daniel, that's great. But when are they going to help your neighborhood with the flood project.???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2007, 01:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Actually Ed that is a big help for us without the Meadowbrook project being done they would be unable to complete the levee systems in our neighborhood they kind of hinge on one another. The terrible part is that the residents along the meadowbrook have been flooded with RAW sewege for years and they have been waiting almost 20 yrs for that project just to get started.

Old 07-10-2007, 01:44 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for that Dan. I thought they were doing things and not helping you guys out. They waited 20 years for a project to get started? That's is totally crazy. I guess that's the way this city operates.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:42 PM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
It isnt fair to say "I guess thats the way the city opporates. There are more people involved than just the city. Granted they drag their feet but it is because they are told to drag their feet. Remember there are much more players than just the Mayor!!

Old 07-10-2007, 04:01 PM

Actually the Meadowbrook project is a state and city deal and the state was the one dragging its heels but the city did nothing to help with the flooding and sewage in the meadowbrook area. The Meadowbrook is the stream that goes under ground at the State School for the Deaf and reappears in some yards along the 1700 and 1600 blocks of Wyoming and Penn and on Sanderson Ave by the wig shop, it has been reported over the years that some of those homes are still tied into the meadowbrook with their sewer lines, which was the way it was done for a long time, most of the cities sewage ended up in the Lackawanna river. Some homes were never tied into the sewers but did not have outhouses and I guess if they were never told then over the last 70+ years who is to say where its going... Suffice to say that if we hadn't been pushing for the levee system here since the 1985 floods then the Meadowbrook probably would not ever have been started. It has to tie into the river behind the old Laminations building on Mylert ave by the Lace works. The tie in point has to be a large pressure gate and under ground conduit 4' to 6' in diameter in some places. Well they cannot very well dig up the new levee and put this in so it finally had to be completed before the Army Corps gets there next year. Hopefully! Hey look how long it has taken the state to even admit that the Lackawanna Ave bridge has to be repaired and we have been waiting for that for close 8 years I think.

Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 PM

What I meant was, and Daniel made my point, is this city takes so long to take action on issues. Look what they're doing, or should I say not doing, about the flooding in Lower Green Ridge and Daron Northeast. Daniel also made another good point about the Lackawanna Ave. Bridge. That bridge is so bad, and the road leading up to it, I go different routes just to avoid going over it. And the mayor talks about how great the downtown is, try driving on North Washington from Linden to Lackawanna. The road is so bad, I can't stand driving on it. Also Spruce to Mifflin is horrible, and so is Mifflin itself. Look how long these streets are taking to be paved.

Old 07-11-2007, 02:24 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
it has been reported over the years that some of those homes are still tied into the meadowbrook with their sewer lines, which was the way it was done for a long time, most of the cities sewage ended up in the Lackawanna river. Some homes were never tied into the sewers but did not have outhouses and I guess if they were never told then over the last 70+ years who is to say where its going...
Is that STILL the case? Is untreated sewage still going directly into Meadowbrook and the Lackawanna? Doesn't the municipal code require homes to be hooked into the sewer lines? Is anyone taking steps to ensure that EVERY house is hooked up to the sewer line?

This all very disgusting. Have kids or dogs ever been seen in this water?

Old 07-11-2007, 04:52 AM

There really isn't much water going thru the Meadowbrook unless its down pouring. Some independant people have had the water tested and I'll see if the results can be had. Yes homes are supposed to be tied in but most homeowners do not know where their sewer line is and if they do not know then I'll bet the city doesn't know. Its really not surorising actually the sewer system in this city is one of the oldest and outdated I have ever seen. They replaced the lines on my block 2 years ago and when they were digging the old up it s was brick and collapsed in about 4 spots along the block. The entire sytem has to be updated to a seperate sewage/storm water system in the next 15 years to the tune of $175,000,000... Our sewer rates are going to go thru the sky to pay for it also.

Old 07-11-2007, 05:26 AM

4,539 posts, read 12,404,526 times
Thanks for the reply. In San Diego it isn't brick sewers collapsing, its 1905 cast iron water and sewer mains disintegrating.

You're not alone in the escalating sewer/water rates department either. Our rates have been increasing 6% a year for the past decade. Now 6%/year may not sound too bad, but compound that yearly for 10 years with at least another 5 to 10 years of 6% yearly increases to go, and water bills are getting pretty painful here too. My water bill exceeds my power bill. Only difference is that the cost of our water/sewer projects are in the billions, not millions.

Old 07-11-2007, 07:54 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,863 times
In Cape Coral FLa near where I live they are nailing residents with 12 to 18 thousand dollar assesments for putting in city water and sewer. They where all on well and septic prior. Now, coupled with 3 and 5 year ARM's adjusting and the economy coming to a standstill down here there are a ton of houses in foreclouser.

About 2 years ago the banks and mortgage lenders where taking advantage of the massive amounts of young and new residents by offering 0 down and a 3 year arm with low payments. These people thought they would have jobs security. NOPE> now they are out of work or working for 10 bucks an hour and can't afford their homes.

If you have some money to invest now is a goood time to look into SW Fla for the simple fact that you can find a nice, brand new home 20 minuets from the beach for 150K two yrs ago it was worth 250K two yrs from now who knows.

Getting hit with extras is not limited to scranton. It is everywhere. The entire USA is getting slammed for a bunch of reasons. Loose money from lenders, oil prices, war, ect ect. Scranton has to adress the issues no matter when they can actually begin the work. This is why politicians **** me off they way they do. They only adress issues that are safe and rewarding. They will not tackle the tough issues because someone higher up may get upset with them. Well, too damn bad. It is easy to lay the blame on Doherty because he is cathing the flack for most of the cities ills and is the guy in the the saet at the moment. He is just one of many people to blame however. My only gripe is that people just became aware of certain issues and all of a sudden they are experts and place the blame on someone who really doenst deserve it.

YEll at Doherty that is fine. Problem is, he is used to it by now. He doesnt no the difference between a angry union guy trying to ruffle his feathers or a resident with a true problem. That is why all the anti doherty stuff is counter productive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania