Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 PM

224 posts, read 228,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
In the Philadelphia area, no older Italian says sauce, but younger ones do.
Utter the word 'sauce' and my High School sweetheart's 'Nonna' would hit me upside the head hit a wooden spoon...

This woman made the best Braciole, gravy, gnocchis, ravioli, and cannoli I have ever TASTED to this day..
Her Pepper and Egg 'sangwiches' as well as her stromboli were to die for ...
Hey podnah, I dine in Philly about every other weekend, I like Chinatown, especially the Vietnamese Noodle Houses...but 'Primo' Hoagies are always a fave...
they just opened one near me but are not quite as good as the original...

Can you recommend a decent Northern Italian restuarant in Center City?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2010, 04:44 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,760 times
I am sure you dudes are being straight up, but I just answered what was true from the little corner of the planet I was raised in. The question at hand is WHERE CAN I FIND PREPARED SEAFOOD IN SCRANTON for Christmas eve! Of course the poll on gravy vs. sauce is interesting BUT, could someone tell me the name of a place? Please

Old 12-12-2010, 06:00 PM

936 posts, read 2,397,289 times
There is an excellent Italian Restaurant in Scranton/Dickson City called Casa Bella. They make excellent fish but I am not sure if it is open on Christmas. Its on Market Street.

I sometimes do the fish for Christmas Eve but always stay away from Calimari (even though I love it). I do make mussels, shrimp, lobster, clams, crab cakes and sole and make a fish salad with scungili. Can give you a few easy recipes if you want, just PM me!!

Have a wonderful Christmas to all!!

Old 12-13-2010, 12:10 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,690 times
lovein - I know this in not the answer you are looking for - but your best bet is to buy the seafood and fish then prepare it yourself.

I know you said you wanted prepared - but it is best eaten immediately after being cooked, it is very quick and easy to cook too.

Most of the area supermarkets will have outdoor counters set up selling just about anything that you would want.

p.s - where are the smelts? I did not see anyone list smelts..

Dang, I munch them like potato chips on Xmas & NY's Eve.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
I was under the impression that Italians calling it sauce or gravy depended on which region of Italy one hailed from. Sicily or the rest of Italy! LOl... in my "old" neighborhood some Italian Mamas called it gravy, but the majority of the Italian Mamas...called it sauce.

ditto-----northern italian-----sauce---------------southern italian-------gravy

Old 12-13-2010, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
ditto-----northern italian-----sauce---------------southern italian-------gravy
Thank you Auntie...I was starting to question my own knowledge base!! I already suffer from CRS and was concerned that if what I think I know was starting to fade...

Old 12-13-2010, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
lovein - I know this in not the answer you are looking for - but your best bet is to buy the seafood and fish then prepare it yourself.

I know you said you wanted prepared - but it is best eaten immediately after being cooked, it is very quick and easy to cook too.

Most of the area supermarkets will have outdoor counters set up selling just about anything that you would want.

p.s - where are the smelts? I did not see anyone list smelts..

Dang, I munch them like potato chips on Xmas & NY's Eve.
Ok...Ok...I will make it fresh at home! You gave me such help with lil mans present, I will listen to ya on this as well! smelts? fried? Calamari was the only fried thing I ever saw on the Christmas eve table...Sounds like I missed out!

Old 12-13-2010, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
Utter the word 'sauce' and my High School sweetheart's 'Nonna' would hit me upside the head hit a wooden spoon...

This woman made the best Braciole, gravy, gnocchis, ravioli, and cannoli I have ever TASTED to this day..
Her Pepper and Egg 'sangwiches' as well as her stromboli were to die for ...
Hey podnah, I dine in Philly about every other weekend, I like Chinatown, especially the Vietnamese Noodle Houses...but 'Primo' Hoagies are always a fave...
they just opened one near me but are not quite as good as the original...

Can you recommend a decent Northern Italian restuarant in Center City?
We are planning a drive to Philly just to take lil man to China Town and pig out!. I use to have a temp. duty station @ 1401 Market St...if felt like I was there ALL the time! lol Its been a few (sad) years since I did that! Isn't BOOKBINDERS resturant right around the corner from Market St. or and I mixing up my cities?

Old 12-13-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy38 View Post
There is an excellent Italian Restaurant in Scranton/Dickson City called Casa Bella. They make excellent fish but I am not sure if it is open on Christmas. Its on Market Street.

I sometimes do the fish for Christmas Eve but always stay away from Calimari (even though I love it). I do make mussels, shrimp, lobster, clams, crab cakes and sole and make a fish salad with scungili. Can give you a few easy recipes if you want, just PM me!!

Have a wonderful Christmas to all!!
Ty...I am good, but truly appreciate your offer!

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,818,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Gravy vs. sauce...
Gravy is the brown stuff you put on meat. I grew up around plenty of Italians in this area, and never heard any of them call tomato sauce "gravy." I think "gravy" is a NY thing, the first time I heard it was from New Yorkers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania