Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 06:48 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times

Advertisements

I'm just so happy to see you so happy, Sheena. Substitute "NoVA" wherever you wrote "Long Island", and our stories are exactly the same. I, too, had to go back to NoVA recently to tie up some loose ends and fill out some paperwork, and I just felt the stress from everyone around me attacking my soul. Pittsburgh has been my catharsis, much as how Wilkes-Barre has been yours. I really think the Diamond City's recent renaissance isn't just a "flash in the pan" and will be sustained.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2010, 12:04 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.

http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thewi...therainbow.htm

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-18-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: copyright - added link

Old 12-18-2010, 01:57 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I made a big pot of veggie chillie which I served up with some delicious bread from Wegman's - Rosemary and Sea Salt, and a tossed salad.ut

we watched "A Christmas Story" and I realised how much Wilkes Barre has in common with the Indiana city depicted in that flick. I think my neighbors may be related to the Bumpass family - but they are nice folks none the less!
The only problem I see is that you will never attract a pack of hungry hound dogs with the food you spread out on the table..

Snap to the kitchen Girl - cook me up some roasted turkey !!!!

p.s. - you should have taken your house guests for a late night walk along Hazel Street to watch the leg lamps strut their stuff "live "..

haha!!! just kidding, could not resist Sheena.

I am glad to hear that you are happy and settled in.

Won't be long for the game dinners to start. I'll let you know, hopefully we can meet up at that time.

Speaking of dogs, I am pulling early am shift in search of yotes. Should be a balmy morning in Penn's Woods.

later

Old 12-18-2010, 07:30 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Being a born and raised South Shore girl, Billy Joel said it best "...you can either marry a "rich" girl from the North Shore or a "fun" girl from the South Shore..."! Lol, the North Shore was always known as "the rich side", but the priorities of Most Long Islanders seemed to undergo some whacked out cosmic shift during the last decade and a half! Growing up in Patchogue we were raised to believe in being solidly middle class was a good thing! Sadly the "citidot" (combo of city and idiot lol) mentality seemed to roll out past Nassau and gained a foot hold ! I left in 1986 and moved back under great protest!!! Hubby thought it was the place to go to "earn" good money! Sadly due to his military service, I was the only one to earn it! I never wanted to move back but am proud of my family, and the values living with my mother taught my eldest children. I am equally proud that as the sole income earner I was able to purchase my own families home in 2002! BUT, you can not eat pride!!! My husband was FINALLY well enough to go back to work and loved his job at Calverton National Cemetery...but

When my middle child graduated six months early in 2007 that freed me from my obligations to the eldest children and I beat feet to PA as fast as I could!!!!!!!!!!! After waiting two years for a transfer, my husband transferred to PA in April of 2007 my lil man and I joined him up here in June! Best thing I ever did for "my baby" and myself!!!! After moving "back home" my husband said he was sooooooo glad I convinced him to do it! It only took about 15 years, but I would not give up. I knew why I left in 1986 and it was "worse" in 2007!

Old 12-18-2010, 07:33 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post

Somewhere over the rainbow
Way up high,
There's a land that I heard of
Once in a lullaby.
http://www.stlyrics.com/lyrics/thewi...therainbow.htm

YOU truly crack me up!

Last edited by toobusytoday; 12-18-2010 at 10:13 AM..

Old 12-18-2010, 01:15 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
You are all a fun bunch and I again thank you for sharing in my happiness!

Don't knock my cooking till you've tried it Varmintblaster and weluvpa I am choosing to take your comments as a welcome.- because rgat is what I think you mean.

I am dead serious about having a meet up - all of you are my oldest NEPA friends and we have not yet met!
I really am sincere when I say that I would like to meet!
Anyone ???

Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,475,701 times
BTW I am very familiar with Billy Joel's quote lovinbloom.
The North Shore South Shore girl quote. I like his music but he has always confused me.
For the longest time he claimes to be from my REAL hometown, Oyster Bay.
"From a town named Oyster Bay Long Island, Came a boy with a sixpack in his hand." ( legend of Billy the kid)
So in seventh grade my friend and I spent two solid hours in the library of Oyster Bay Jr Sr High School lookinf for a graduation picture of Billy Joel - but our search was futile. First of all his real name is not Billy Joel. Second and more telling is that he is not from Oyster Bay!

He grew up near Levittown LI in the town of Hicksville NY.
Right smack dab in the middle of the Island.

So I'm not sure what his deal is.
Perhaps "Hicksville" did not sound good in a song?

Old 12-19-2010, 02:47 AM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Don't knock my cooking till you've tried it Varmintblaster

I am dead serious about having a meet up - all of you are my oldest NEPA friends and we have not yet met!
I really am sincere when I say that I would like to meet!
Anyone ???
Sheena - the only reason I bust on you is because I know you can take it.
I will be thinking of you and laughing when I watch the hound dogs tear apart the roast turkey when I watch the Christmas Story show on Dec 25.

Things are a bit hectic right now with the approach of Christmas. I'm sure that you, like everyone else is in the same boat.

I think a get together in a central location would be a great idea right after the Holidays. Hopefully, several folks here will be able to make it.
I would love to sit down and talk to you and several others on this board.

I've done some research and this little food joint down da line has a varied menu that would meet the dietary requirements of everyone:

What say you?

Old 12-19-2010, 07:41 AM

224 posts, read 228,604 times
^
That is just precious,

Old 12-19-2010, 09:04 AM

539 posts, read 1,068,896 times
That "Little Pigs" may be a photo from Asheville NC. If so, I know exactly where it is and worked for the owner around 11 years doing inventories for his convenience stores: Carr Swicegood.
In fact, here's a pic of the same place:
Nibble Me This: Little Pigs BBQ - Asheville, NC
I wouldn't mind a quick inexpensive get-together in W-B, but it would need to be during the day (a weekday before 5), and it would probably be just me, as my wife doesn't enjoy that sort of thing. Even Wegmans would be fine.
loveinbloom: Even if you didn't mention Billy Joel, I would have thought of him from your post. In NY there seems to be so much status attributed to where one is from and also especially to how they dress. Brings to mind "we ain't too pretty, we ain't too proud". I grew up in NJ and was very non-materialistic, in fact I would wear the same couple flannel shirts most of the time. Once you get into NY, especially Manhattan, I believe it's all based on looks and charisma, aka how good you can bs and make people think you know a lot more than you do. I guess it was always that way, even in the depression, a shoe shine, a haircut & get a good job. I think I lost out on a job one very cold day when I wore a full length dark olive green army drab overcoat, as I guess that's a big "no-no" for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania