Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times

Advertisements

I am a transplant........I am a transplant from New Jersey. I've been here 15 years now. My parents lived in PA about 15 years before we moved here.
I love New Jersey, but I am more in love with PA.

Truthfully, all the early years of visiting with my parents, and spending time here, were way more peaceful then around the last 10 years.

There was a calmness, and peacefulness that left in a slow but steady pace.

All of a sudden places that were loved, became full of drug dealings.
The downtown had shootings and people were killed. Body parts were
strewn about route 80 for miles. Thugs entered our area. They also entered into areas of Easton. It was a matter of being a border town......Dealing were made right over state lines. One had to only read the paper to know where the undesireables came from.

I think all anyone wants is responsible, honest, productive and community loving people.

I can't say we didn't find wonderful neighbors of all ages. Our neighbor of 30 and our neighbor of 70 use to get together for wonderful, prayerful, dinners. Everyone kept up with their homes....everyone was welcoming.
Except one lady I met in a restaurant who said " Your from NJ we don't want you here." Which I had no response to.....as rudeness needs no response.

I think more people would be welcomed if they would be a good member of their town and community.

It just was something to behold to piece all the news together and see that some came with all their bad baggage. With guns, and drugs and
no plan for a spruced up living arrangement. Houses going downhill...
Areas lost to forclosures and people who just flat left their homes.
We had changes that were not good in the least. I won't close my eyes and pretend that changes didn't happen.

So to be welcomed. Its best to act welcoming.....in all ways. That is what we do. We are responsible and a good neighbor.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well that about says it.
Is it possible for any of you who frequently attack the influx of people from NY and NJ to just stop doing this? Like RIGHT NOW?

Is this a suck form of hazing performed by adults?

The influx will continue. I PERSONALLY know of over 20 people who are looking into relocation to OUR region/ And that's just me.

They all have jobs and are well educated professionals in their 30s 40s and early 50s. They are not even thinking about retirement.

Since moving here officially in November, we have not held up a bank, we have not sold nor taken drugs, and we have made so many improvements to our property. Our neighbors like us and can't believe what we have "done with the place." And we are not even one quarter of the way done.

We belong to a church, voted in the last election, have done voluteer work and have two kids enrolled at Holy Redeemer HS. We attend our daughter's games each week since she made the cheer leading squad. our children are in honors and AP classes. We frequent the library and we are both fascinated by the history of this region. I intend to join the historical society.

When ever possible we shop at local stores and small businesses. We are HELPING this area - not hurting it.

We moved here for the same reasons that anyone moves - to make a better life for our famikies, pure and simple.

BTW I have never ever experienced this level of hostility from people who I have met personally - with the exception of that guy from Walsh Reality who refused to sell us a house in West Pittston.

What goes around comes around.

That house is STILL on the market and I suspect it will be for a long long time. Karma is a bitxh.
Thought I would re-post the OP to highlight the part of it that I found interesting. Sheena said that IRL people are not hostile like they are on this forum, and I'm glad to hear it. I find it quite disheartening when I hear the meanness from some posters here. I'm not a fan of new people coming in and whining about where they used to live and asking for services that they want, but probably don't want to pay for, but when someone like Sheena moves to the area and is wholeheartedly in love with her new home, I just don't get why that is not embraced.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-02-2011, 04:57 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,803,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Thought I would re-post the OP to highlight the part of it that I found interesting. Sheena said that IRL people are not hostile like they are on this forum, and I'm glad to hear it. I find it quite disheartening when I hear the meanness from some posters here. I'm not a fan of new people coming in and whining about where they used to live and asking for services that they want, but probably don't want to pay for, but when someone like Sheena moves to the area and is wholeheartedly in love with her new home, I just don't get why that is not embraced.
I agree completely!

Old 01-02-2011, 05:21 PM

996 posts, read 1,057,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
If people keep moving here they might start wondering why the city bars are in better shape and funded than the library system or why a city of this size doesn't have a children's museum or cultural activity for children that doesn't involve a football or a can a spray paint.
It's not you, it is the culture of the valley.
LMAO - I've seen more darn spray painted public property in the Allentown area than ten thousand S Wilkes-Barre's put together.

Contrary to what you may think - Lehigh Valley "AIN't IT".

Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM

Sheena should be embraced by her community...and it seems her neighbors like her a lot.

She asked " is this a suck form of hazing by adults" ....." to attack the influx of NY and NJ people"....

I think that the answers were good. Most of the posters including myself said...." Welcome, welcome"

to responsible newcomers. Those not carrying guns and drugs and are responsible for their home and

town pride. I was saddened by hearing about West Pittston and its exclusiveness.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:33 PM

129 posts, read 425,214 times
People I have met in this area are nothing like the negative posters on this board. This area has been so friendly. But so many topics on this board turn so nasty. I find that I seldom look on this board because it is so dominated by the few aggressive and negative posters rather than those who have pertinent and helpful information. People ask simple questions about favorite pizza or if a particular housing development is safe and some of the responses are so mean.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanva View Post
People I have met in this area are nothing like the negative posters on this board. This area has been so friendly. But so many topics on this board turn so nasty. I find that I seldom look on this board because it is so dominated by the few aggressive and negative posters rather than those who have pertinent and helpful information. People ask simple questions about favorite pizza or if a particular housing development is safe and some of the responses are so mean.
Oh gosh, I think we have wonderful people in Pennsylvania...that was one of the reasons I moved here. Friendly, happy, people. People who are strangers.. who would stop to talk, and stop to wave a hello.

The posters are long time residents of the area, and many post their
points of view in different ways.

This is a great state to move to and to live in.

However, there is always pros and cons to anywhere one moves to. I really think that the NEPA people just try to "tell it like it is". You probably wouldn't want to hear all the fantastic things and move here to find your life might not be all roses.

There, once in awhile is a few mean posts, but I think it is very rare.

Everyone has always been welcomed....with open arms here.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I was saddened by hearing about West Pittston and its exclusiveness.
Sheena had a bad experience with one seller. The people of West Pittston love their community AND ONE OF THE REASONS IS THE NEARLY NON EXISTENT CRIME RATE. Frankly I can care less if someone becomes offended because people want to keep it that way instead of watching it detiorate like many of these other towns.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Sheena had a bad experience with one seller. The people of West Pittston love their community AND ONE OF THE REASONS IS THE NEARLY NON EXISTENT CRIME RATE. Frankly I can care less if someone becomes offended because people want to keep it that way instead of watching it detiorate like many of these other towns.
For a Non existent crime rate......I'd be wanting to keep that too.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:09 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
LMAO - I've seen more darn spray painted public property in the Allentown area than ten thousand S Wilkes-Barre's put together.

Contrary to what you may think - Lehigh Valley "AIN't IT".
Do you make assumptions about everything? If so, a point of interest to you, it makes you look like an idiot.

Allentown, like Wilkes Barre are both cesspools. Never said Allentown was "it".

That being said, The Wyoming Valley as a whole, compared to The Lehigh Valley it isn't even close. From schools, to culture, to parks, household income, it isn't even a contest.

Have a great day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania