Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 05:05 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,294,472 times

Advertisements

As for the meanness the OP and others have experienced on this board:

Online disinhibition effect - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 01-03-2011, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Hmmm...I see some posts that decry slumlords buying properties, and another thread about being angry that someone excercised personal choice and would not sell a house to a particular buyer. I see in a single post that problems in cities "started when middle class whites began to move out" in the 50's, but that the problems are not related to transplants who then move in, and continue to do so.
As a lifelong resident of PA (with a couple of hiatuses), frequent visitor to NEPA for the last 20 years, and NEPA property owner for the last 3 years, I can say that I see a lot of issues that are related to lower income transplants, as well as the brusque and harried mannerisms that many middle class and higher in the NY metro area and nearby NJ counties developed by necessity, and then brought to NEPA.
To be very clear, I'm not saying all or even most of NePA's issues are caused by transplants. The most valuable thing I learned in high school when it comes to assessing how people will behave in a given situation is this: Man is naturally egocentric and ethnocentric. More simply stated "Me first, us next, you last". It is in our basic DNA as a survival mechanism. Can it be tempered? Yes, it is not an absolute. But it explains why a wrong is perceived as being that much more wrong when it is done by someone "not like us", and mankind the world over looks for ways to identify as "us" and "them". IT gets worse when competing for scarce resources, and will only continue to do so. Whining about it won't change it.
What constitutes whining?

Apparently on this board, even starting a healthy well thought out post is whining. I remember when I first started posting and certain people (who are no longer posting FTMP, thankfully) decried my posts as trolling and attention seeking because I disagreed with the board on so many things.

But I will say having spied on other boards on this forum, that this type of thing is normal and not restricted to NEPA.

I think some of us, me included, get exasperated when it happens over and over and over again. It's like a toddler who screams for no reason at all. You feel bad for the kid because you know he can't help himself, but it's super annoying nonetheless.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:29 AM

996 posts, read 1,056,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
What constitutes whining?

Apparently on this board, even starting a healthy well thought out post is whining. I remember when I first started posting and certain people (who are no longer posting FTMP, thankfully) decried my posts as trolling and attention seeking because I disagreed with the board on so many things.

But I will say having spied on other boards on this forum, that this type of thing is normal and not restricted to NEPA.

I think some of us, me included, get exasperated when it happens over and over and over again. It's like a toddler who screams for no reason at all. You feel bad for the kid because you know he can't help himself, but it's super annoying nonetheless.
Magritte - I don't mean to single you out, but your quoted statements may very well represent what others feel as well.

The thing about Al Gore's interweb is that it brings together a myriad of folks that normally may not/would not socialize with each other, run in different circles, different age group, once in awhile a bona-fide racist pops out, yada,yada,yada.

Me thinks some folks need to chill out a bit and remember that the interweb world that Al Gore created for us is NOT REAL…

Are some folks that post on Al Gore’s interweb truly hateful?
Me reckons so.

Do some people that post on Al Gore’s interweb occasionally, intentionally “Yank Chain” in an attempt to toss a bit of gas on the pilot light to get things heated up?
(Chain-yankers sometimes post while drinking beer, dressed in their PJ’s J

Me reckons I know at least one. J

Do some people take the interweb too seriously?

Me reckons so.

Do some people share way too much of their personal details on the interweb.

Me reckons the truly foolish ones do.

One thing for certain, Al Gore’s interweb, while wonderful for many things, has also given folks a third persona, besides their face to face one, and their angry commuter wielding a 3,000 pound motorized killing machine one.

Me thinks the folks with the 3 persona are TRI-POLAR..

Speaking of chilling out, this morning I popped a couple of holes on Lake Francis , sipped hot coffee while sitting on a bucket in balmy 14deg temps.

The fish were not cooperative. Better success at this place is usually at night.

Here’s a couple pics:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_mqwMWqeJqGg/TS***j9XHII/AAAAAAAAAYQ/pwaElF3yJCM/LAKE%20FRANCIS%20ISLAND.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-03-2011, 11:00 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,948,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by varmintblaster View Post
Magritte - I don't mean to single you out, but your quoted statements may very well represent what others feel as well.

The thing about Al Gore's interweb is that it brings together a myriad of folks that normally may not/would not socialize with each other, run in different circles, different age group, once in awhile a bona-fide racist pops out, yada,yada,yada.

Me thinks some folks need to chill out a bit and remember that the interweb world that Al Gore created for us is NOT REAL…

Are some folks that post on Al Gore’s interweb truly hateful?
Me reckons so.

Do some people that post on Al Gore’s interweb occasionally, intentionally “Yank Chain” in an attempt to toss a bit of gas on the pilot light to get things heated up?
(Chain-yankers sometimes post while drinking beer, dressed in their PJ’s J

Me reckons I know at least one. J

Do some people take the interweb too seriously?

Me reckons so.

Do some people share way too much of their personal details on the interweb.

Me reckons the truly foolish ones do.

One thing for certain, Al Gore’s interweb, while wonderful for many things, has also given folks a third persona, besides their face to face one, and their angry commuter wielding a 3,000 pound motorized killing machine one.

Me thinks the folks with the 3 persona are TRI-POLAR..

Speaking of chilling out, this morning I popped a couple of holes on Lake Francis , sipped hot coffee while sitting on a bucket in balmy 14deg temps.

The fish were not cooperative. Better success at this place is usually at night.

Here’s a couple pics:

Tri-Polar? Does that mean you were fishing with three poles? LOL

We are all, at one time or another, in a new place. With the exception of some people who are of a particular mind-set, all one can do is to be polite to those we meet and try not to pi$$ off the natives.

I learned rather early in my life that not everyone is going to be my friend. The most I hope for is that one or two of them will be. If not, I have my family. They have to like me.

But I try to understand that the other fella sees things from a different POV, and then I remember the old Irish toast -
May those that love us, love us. And may those that don't love us, may God turn their hearts. And if He cannot turn their hearts, may He turn their ankles so we'll know them by their limping.

Old 01-03-2011, 12:40 PM

I'm not saying I don't say things online that I probably wouldn't in person, I do. It's a nice release to be able to do so. But I guess I don't get the constant nastiness, ya know?

LOL @ the Irish toast!

Old 01-03-2011, 01:47 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,952,533 times
Ode to Sherry Lewis(?) "...this is the song that never ends, it goes on and on my friends..."! Lol...yesterday I had the old Rawhide song going through my head, I just changed up the words...nobody got it but me! LOl

Old 01-03-2011, 06:51 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
The "anonymous slum lord" is NOT always fron NY or NJ. The landlord of the rather rundown multi - family
dwelling across the street from me had a luxury car with PA plates. He had a "Sem" sticker on his car, along with a "Harvard" sticker. He shared that he was originally was from South Wilkes Barre. I indicated that I am a home owner and told him that I was "happy that he was improving his investment". I will be watching to see how it turns out..
He was a local investor.NOT from NY or NJ.
He is not the only one.

Old 01-03-2011, 10:27 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,085,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
The "anonymous slum lord" is NOT always fron NY or NJ. The landlord of the rather rundown multi - family
dwelling across the street from me had a luxury car with PA plates. He had a "Sem" sticker on his car, along with a "Harvard" sticker. He shared that he was originally was from South Wilkes Barre. I indicated that I am a home owner and told him that I was "happy that he was improving his investment". I will be watching to see how it turns out..
He was a local investor.NOT from NY or NJ.
He is not the only one.

well said--and i do know who you mean--he is a slumlord and he does disguise himself as a respectable buisnessman(went to see one of his properties a year ago--ugh)

Old 01-04-2011, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntieannie68 View Post
well said--and i do know who you mean--he is a slumlord and he does disguise himself as a respectable buisnessman(went to see one of his properties a year ago--ugh)
I'm sure I know who you are talking about. Having worked for a local Section 8 office for a few years, I can name a ton of IN TOWN slum lords that were born and raised here.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:33 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,138,697 times
So if there are SLUM LORDS there must be SLUMS ..

Cause you dont find one without the other ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania