Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:07 AM

1,176 posts, read 2,196,459 times

Advertisements

Use you place as a "rental" for tax purposes? I have no intention of ever letting strangers use our house but my wife and i both have big families so i'm sure i could legitimately "rent" the place out on occaision. I'm sure i could take a "loss" every year and make out OK with the tax man.

My question is whether or not it's worth it? I know i deduct mortgage interest by NOT renting, but i'm trying to weigh out everything. I wont be talking to my tax preparer until february and she'll help me decide what to do. If i know her she'll want me to "rent" it and take advantage of every little loophole possible. I don't want to scam the IRS but i WILL do anything and everything that is legal to do the best i can for myself at tax time.

Any advice out there on renting vs not renting? (strictly for tax purposes)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 01:27 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
If you "rent it out", you can also claim your mileage and tolls on trips you make there "for maintenance".

Old 01-06-2011, 06:41 PM

923 posts, read 3,094,744 times
As long as its advertised for rent ( not rented ) you can claim it as a tax/rental lose. Post an ad in your local paper, way over the fair market rental !!! Keep your rental advertisement from the newspaper and your bill !!

Old 01-07-2011, 07:04 AM

thanks to both of your for the information/ideas. like i said i guess we'll be making a decision after we do our taxes this year. our association charges a $500 fee to allow you to "rent" your house so i'm not sure if that would tip the scales one way or another or not. we'll see.

Old 01-07-2011, 08:37 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,140,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
thanks to both of your for the information/ideas. like i said i guess we'll be making a decision after we do our taxes this year. our association charges a $500 fee to allow you to "rent" your house so i'm not sure if that would tip the scales one way or another or not. we'll see.

I'd be 100% honest ... No use getting Jammed up over a few Dollars , In the end It'll cost you more if you ""Cut Corners "" so to say .

Old 01-07-2011, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
I'd be 100% honest ... No use getting Jammed up over a few Dollars , In the end It'll cost you more if you ""Cut Corners "" so to say .
like i said i'll do whatever is legally possible to help myself. i wont be lying about it.

Old 01-18-2011, 08:29 AM

212 posts, read 502,404 times
IRS is not stupid... we all know that. like they say, there are 2 things for sure in life - death and tax.

we were going to do the rental thing too but please read the rules in IRS carefully... IRS look into second home VERY CAREFULLY... you do not need the headache.

if you claim it as rental, you cannot claim the mortgage tax and etc. read it carefully.

Old 01-18-2011, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
IRS is not stupid... we all know that. like they say, there are 2 things for sure in life - death and tax.

we were going to do the rental thing too but please read the rules in IRS carefully... IRS look into second home VERY CAREFULLY... you do not need the headache.

if you claim it as rental, you cannot claim the mortgage tax and etc. read it carefully.
i've read it and it's does sound like a pain in the butt. however i think if someone does it right they could make out pretty good. i don't have the energy to "do it right"

Old 01-18-2011, 11:09 AM

212 posts, read 502,404 times
I agree... tax itself is hard and complicate enough. not to mention doing this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkrplr1 View Post
i've read it and it's does sound like a pain in the butt. however i think if someone does it right they could make out pretty good. i don't have the energy to "do it right"

Old 01-18-2011, 04:50 PM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconogirl View Post
I agree... tax itself is hard and complicate enough. not to mention doing this...
two words...Turbo Tax..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania