Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 07:33 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,475,701 times

Advertisements

I have been to SLC and it is a glaringly beautiful place. It is in many ways ahead of a lot of other places.

There is a very strong Mormon presence there. It can be felt - EVERY WHERE. In fact the friend that I visited was LDS.

I do like visiting SLC and Utah is a really beautiful state. But I could not call it home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2011, 07:34 PM

Well I could if we were transplanted there but the culture is so LDS
I have tremendous respect for my Mormon friends but at the end of the day I am not LDS.

Old 01-14-2011, 08:06 PM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
Thank you for the input. =) I am Irish Catholic, so, Notre Dame is good. But, yes, we are huge Ohio State fans. *dodges tomatoes*

We don't really do 'the scene' much anyway, so, that isn't an issue. We also don't ski, so, that isn't an issue either.

Yes, it would be a decent raise, & he works in construction sales, the distribution side (yes, really, we are doing okay lol) .

I am not LDS (wasn't sure if people knew that term as much, which was why I used mormon. Out here, I actually never use that term. lol I never imagined I could live here either, but, you get used to it. lol

My family lives in Akron still, & hubby's is in the Pittsburgh area, & WV. =) We are still trying to decide.

Old 01-14-2011, 10:19 PM

As an Irish Catholic you will feel very at home in Scranton!

I am a Lutheran, but we have chosen to send our kids to Holy Redeemer HS in Wilkes Barre.

From one part Irish person to another - they really celebrate St, Pat's Day here.
Really.

No Mormons here. They kick it NEPA style!

Old 01-14-2011, 10:27 PM

DO IT!!!! There is so much good in this area! The pay scale is commensurate with the pay scale in suburban NYC - but nice homes are a fraction of the cost.

People are friendly and welcoming.

I live in Wilkes Barre and my neighbors are really so friendly. I send my kids to Holy Redeemer, a Catholic High School, and while we are not Catholic, it has worked out great for us.

No this is NOT anything like Salt Lake City. Or suburban NY. It is better!
I am originally from NY - but I am proud to call North East PA my HOME!

Old 01-15-2011, 12:40 AM

973 posts, read 2,142,095 times
I'm trying. We spoke w/ a Dunmore native on the subject. He is a 2nd time married (this time greatly matched, trust me lol =) w/o kids, as of now. She is like me. he he) It happens. =P

Old 01-15-2011, 07:15 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,386 times
hey BuckeyezRule, I am from NEPA but now live in Utah. We moved to SLC for work 3 years ago.

Agreed on several things here, but one thing you will never face in NEPA is the inversion we have in the Wasatch Front. So in that respect, Scranton/WB+ will be very much an improvement. I have read that more ppl smoke in NEPA but I will take that any day over asthma causing inversion.

The weather is relative. I thought Utah winters were milder, until this year. But I think a lot of memories now of PA weather is tainted by waiting for the bus in the cold as a child. HA! But overall the skiing is better in UT but its just as cold.

And there are LDS people in NEPA. In fact the LDS Church just bought some more historical land in Susquehanna county this past week. Something like 0.5% LDS in NEPA vs. 70% LDS in UT, but they do exist.

Let us know if you have more questions. Best of luck to you!

Old 01-16-2011, 01:51 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,097,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Well I could if we were transplanted there but the culture is so LDS.
Well I disagree and while I am not mormon I have read the book of mormon several times to help to understand the area that I was residing in and the people. What I did find was that the culture in SLC is not all LDS, if your not LDS then its not an issue. The liquor laws are different, but you grow accustom to them without any issues.

What the LDS has done is build a beautiful modern city that is laid on a grid for easy traveling around the city and its clean, neat and nice. West SLC might be the exception to that, but every city has its problem areas.

The area is a recreation meca and many travel from all over the world to enjoy the skiing, climbing, hiking, biking. The culture is active and young and hip in many ways....

A far cry from NEPA, where we are surrounded by run down infrastructure, brain drain(reston) and a culture that is based on getting loaded at the corner bar after a days work and then stumbling home to pass out. An area where Coors Light is the most popular beer and nobody has any problems with tossing their empties out of the truck window.

Put it this way I highly doubt that Scranton and Sno-Mtn are or were on any list to host the winter Olympics......

You just cannot compare the two in any way shape or form.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania