Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:53 AM
r11 r11 started this thread

46 posts, read 90,345 times

Advertisements

Rented 2 pairs - for me and my wife, $15 per, at 940/115 Jct (across from Blakeley Plaza). The community we live in has a free private slope plus a ski lift.

Now, while no stranger to XC skiing (did some about 25 years ago , never really did any of DH. All the fears ended up being unfounded and both me and my wife had a blast. I was skiing pretty comfortable on 2nd day, haven't fallen once . Wasn't getting any air just yet. My wife is getting there too. We are both 40+

So ... my advice is to have no fear and try it out. It doesn't help when skiing resorts in the area charge $50 per day pass, but our community ski life was just the ticket for me, where we didn't have to spend a $100 just to see if we like it or not.

Next step for many is to acquire the skis, rentals can get expensive and time consuming (on a good snow day those places get PACKED !).

Now, don't go walking into no Ski shop and have a heart attack after looking at prices. Go to Craiglist instead. A complete set: skis/bindings, poles and boots can be had for well under a $100. Some folx give em away for free.

Look at skis carefully, chips, cracks, peeling off layers and what not. Try to adjust the spring tension in the both heel/toe devices across the whole range. Do not look into the bolts as you do it, the spring just might fly out if the bindings break. Try the boots on (if any are offered), or buy em separately and bring to the skis viewing . Get the boots to go in and out of bindings a few times. Bring your own larger size flat head and Philips head screwdrivers and a light, JIC skis are in a dark shed whatnot.

I do advise to avoid buying skis with really old bindings - the knee surgeries can get quite expensive, so play it safe and look for skis with newer bindings. Believe me, Craiglist has tons and tons of skis for sale.

Have a blast, we sure had

Last edited by r11; 01-19-2011 at 07:32 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
> It doesn't help when skiing resorts in the area charge $50 per day pass,
If you're new to this, you need to dig deeper. There are ways to get on the slopes for a lot less that $50. Examples:

Elk Mountain, Night Skiing - 4:30 pm to 10 pm $28/$26, weekends, weekdays.
Seniors rates, $32 and $29, full day ticket, weekends, weekdays, opening to closing.
Wednesday's College Student discount, $20 lift tickets for college students with photo ID.
Tuesday's are Seniors Days, $20 Lift Tickets all day.

Blue Mountain, Tuesday night ski after 4:30 pm for $21 (I forget the name or deal, but they knock $10 off the evening rate if you give them a business card, any business card, it doesn't have to be yours, it can be from your dentist or a car salesman or your barber...).

Bear Creek, Monday nights, ski for $19 (probably has gone up a few $ in the last few years), deal was Men's Night.

I'm sure Sno Mountain, Jack Frost and Camelback have similar deals, I'm not as familiar with them. Well maybe not so much Camelback, of all the ski areas they seem more designed to separate you from your money than all the others.

Summary, you can ski for a lot less if you selectively pick certain times and days of the week. Take the money you save and get a lesson or two. It's worth it.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:42 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,623,261 times
If you dont mind skiing the same Mountain, a pre season sale on a lift pass is the way to go. my kids both got one at Sno for 270.00 depending on use its a great money saver.. they go 2-3 times a week..

Old 01-20-2011, 05:50 AM

Great info, much appreciated !

Last time we went to Big Boulder, didn't realize that Jack Frost is even closer to us. Hopefully we will "graduate" from the community slope some time later this season

Old 01-20-2011, 07:17 PM

Big Boulder is all terrain park, and therefore attracts mostly snow boarders. JF is much better for beginners, especially the green trails on the west side of the mountain. Jack Frost and Big Boulder are owned by the same outfit, so tickets at one work at the other.

Old 01-24-2011, 07:48 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,115,684 times
I skied this weekend and it was great. I was pregnant last year so missed the whole season. I don't know how to survive the winter without skiing - it's so great to spend the whole day out in the fresh air!!!! Can't wait until the little peanut gets on skis

Old 01-24-2011, 08:55 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Where is the best local place to ski?
Where can my kids snowboard?
I intend to ski and use this climate for y enjoyment.

Old 01-25-2011, 05:30 AM

> Where is the best local place to ski?
If you're in "learning to ski mode", I'd suggest Jack Frost or the upper trails at Sno Mountain. Take a beginner's group lesson at either place. If you know how, Jack Frost, Sno, Elk are good.

> Where can my kids snowboard?
Big Boulder is almost all snowboarders. Jack Frost and BB are two separate ski areas, about four miles down the road from each other, owned by the same outfit, and one lift ticket is good at both sites.

Old 01-25-2011, 12:07 PM

While on the subject

On my 3rd day I have graduated from snow-plow to parallel skying (carving) - much more fun!
With weathermen scaring everyone off the slopes this past weekend, we had the slope all to ourselves.

Finished my craiglist acquisition phase - skis/boots/poles for every1, at great price, from 3 different sellers.

Excellent lessons on youtubes - look for "ski.dk lesson", there's 12 or so parts to it, really good stuff.
Another youtube lesson taught me how to wax/sharpen my new old skis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania