Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2011, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 3,143 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm a typical 35 y.o. professional woman from Mountaintop except for my dirty little secret... I haven't been to the dentist in 5+ years. Let me explain...

When I was in college, I had some minor dental work done by a dentist who had a terrible, uncaring, harsh manner. He caused me quite a bit of pain, and his attitude was that I should simply suck it up. Ever since then, I've been somewhat of a dental coward.

After graduating, I moved to FL. My dentist there was great... gentle, caring, careful, etc. Though I was afraid before every single appointment, I was able to make myself go every 6 months.

About 5 years ago, I moved back to NEPA. Probably at least once a month since then, I promise myself that I'll find a dentist & make an appointment. Obviously, I haven't done that. To make matters worse, my fear has increased as time has gone on. I feel like I've surpassed "coward", & that I'm verging on "phobic".

It's a vicious cycle. The more time goes by, the more I realize that my teeth need dental care, the more my fears increase, the more I put off doing it.

The situation is reaching critical mass because I've recently been experiencing some pain, probably due to some old fillings that need to be replaced. So..... I'm begging for your advice!

I'm looking for a good dentist in the Mountaintop/Wilkes-Barre area who has experience dealing with dental cowards. The hygienist(s) also have to be good, caring, gentle, careful, etc., since they too have the power to easily cause a patient pain.

Thanks so much in advance for your help, and thanks for letting me get this off of my chest! I'm very ashamed that I let things get this far, and I've kept this secret from everyone in my life... parents, boyfriend, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2011, 02:43 PM

99 posts, read 235,122 times
I loved Dr. Loren Grossman in Kingston. He did some extractions for me a few years ago and I loved the way he was calm and compassionate, and very clever about distracting me from what was going on. I believe he offers a discount if you're a WVIA member, or at least at that time he did.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:58 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
I've heard good things about Dr. Steven Lawrence in Kingston. Good luck!

Old 01-20-2011, 06:49 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
I have had a wonderful experience with Dr.Shemo in Wilkes Barre.
He was very gentle, precises and knowledgeable in many phases of dentistry.
He was also personable and overly courteous and accommodating
Better than ANY dentist I had on Long Island!

Excellent credentials too..

Old 01-20-2011, 08:49 PM

3 posts, read 6,707 times
Dr. John Dougherty...he is in Mountaintop...not sure of the address....many years of experience. He is my Uncle so I am kind of partial.

Old 01-21-2011, 11:48 AM

2 posts, read 3,143 times
Thanks so much to the four of you for taking the time to reply. I really appreciate it!

Old 01-21-2011, 03:16 PM

811 posts, read 1,386,853 times
Casey Dental in Pittston Twp. (Oak St.) is also great. I changed to Dr. Casey after several bad experiences with my prior dentist. Gentle, calm, nice atmosphere there, and they specialize in children, so they know how to deal with scared patients!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania