U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2007, 01:14 PM

66 posts, read 325,627 times

Advertisements

My dad's family settled in Scranton in the 1870s, and I have deep roots in NE PA.

We used to visit Scranton yearly to visit my great uncle, and I remember the beautiful night time view of Scranton from his back porch.

He lived in the last block of N. Webster on the westside of the street ( a couple of houses from a ridiculously steep street leading down to Clay)

Anyone know how the old neighborhood is doing?

I also have a number of family portraits from the 1880s that give an address of Hyde Park, Scranton. Was this a district, or a a recently annexed small town?

Is the giant pool at Nay Aug Park still open?

My sister and I saw Dr. Zhivago at a Downtown theater (way before I could understand it) Can you still catch a show downtown?

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2007, 01:24 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,264,164 times
The neighborhood you speak of is The Hill section of Scranton. It's seen it's share of crime in the past, but they're trying to make the neighborhood a little more safe and it's rebounding a little bit in the last few years.

I live in Hyde Park in Scranton. It's a neighborhood on the city's West Side.

There's actually 2 pools in Nay Aug now. One that's deep for diving and one I guess you could call a wading pool. The giant pool you speak of was called The James Walsh swimming pool, named after a former mayor, I think. Residents who have been in the city longer than myself can tell you for sure.

I think the theatre you're speaking of was on Wyoming Ave. not far from the old Globe store, although I'm not 100 percent sure. Scranton now has a multiplex theatre across from the Steamtown Mall. Hope I answered you questions.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:28 PM

4,083 posts, read 8,559,407 times
It was the Ritz theater and it was a cool place to see flicks, that and the Roosevelt in Greenridge Corners, they were the best old theaters that I can remember. As far as the Pool at Nay AUg I am not sure how far back you are talking about.

Old 07-18-2007, 01:50 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,264,164 times
The Ritz. I couldn't think of the name. Thanks Dan.

I have a friend, who is a life long Scranton resident, and he remembers a huge pool where the kiddie rides and the smaller pool is right now. He said it was in the 70's and 80's. We were there the other day and there is a dedication plaque still there that says "Mayor James Walsh Pool". I believe the date it was dedicated was 1968. There's a row of steps still there and a bunch of overgrown weeds there. It's not too far from the concession stand. Hope that helps.

Old 07-18-2007, 04:36 PM

414 posts, read 1,686,023 times
The Ritz was magnificent old theater that I think began life as the POLI. iIt was cavernous, with balcony and the kind of fanciful ornamentation/ ostentaion found in big city movie palaces.... I did run across a photo of it somewhere...inetrior. I'll search it out....

Old 07-18-2007, 07:51 PM

31,721 posts, read 72,426,833 times
Is this "Ritz Theatre" the current Blues Street Cafe, or is that another historic theater building?

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-18-2007 at 07:53 PM.. Reason: Addition of Photograph

Old 07-18-2007, 08:01 PM

31,721 posts, read 72,426,833 times
To address a few of your original inquiries, Hyde Park was formerly an independent municipality that was annexed by Scranton in 1866, when the city was incorporated.

The Hill Section, as Ed mentioned, had a sketchy reputation during the
1990s, but it has largely cleaned itself up to become a liveable neighborhood of the city again. It is becoming a popular area for younger professional types who want to live within walking distance to downtown, as well as empty-nesters who want to downsize and move back into the city from the suburbs. I took a photo tour of the Hill Section, which can be found here:

//www.city-data.com/forum/north...l-section.html

Have a great evening.

Last edited by SteelCityRising; 07-18-2007 at 08:01 PM.. Reason: Typo

Old 07-18-2007, 08:13 PM

414 posts, read 1,686,023 times
[quote=ScrantonWilkesBarre;1096794]Is this "Ritz Theatre" the current Blues Street Cafe, or is that another historic theater building?

It is/was the RITZ, formerly the POLI and here is a website that has an interior photo plus a brief history of this one-time vaudeville house: nothe Scranton and Wilkes-Barre had several vaudeville houses at one time. Wilkes-Barre had a grand Opera House as well---nearly all of them gone....

Cinema Treasures | Ritz Theatre

and here's a list of Scranton's other theaters (here and mostly gone)

Cinema Treasures | Search Theaters

Old 07-19-2007, 11:17 AM

66 posts, read 325,627 times
Thanks for your responses. Can someone edit this thread so it says "Scranton" instead of Sceanton?

As a little kid, I was mightily impressed with the theater! Had to be The Ritz ...

The pool seemed to my mind to be bigger than a football field! It was all shallow, nothing over my 4' head. My great uncle (also named Ed) died in 1967, so it was before that.

Glad the old neighborhood is coming back. I grew up on the prairies of Central Michigan, so the view at night from Uncle Ed's second story porch, seemed like Mulholland Drive in LA.

Most of my people (except for my Dad's immediate family) were buried in Pittston Ave. Cemetery. They were German Presbyterians who didn't let a little thing like Prohibition get in the way of their beer consumption!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania