Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 PM

154 posts, read 408,982 times

Advertisements

I am TOTALLY confused! I cut the comcast cord back in August and haven't regretted it since. We signed onto netflix, plus, we connected the old comcast cable wire into the tv and used it as an antenna. I don't understand the technicalities of it but we were getting basic channels plus a few extras like ION and FOX. But last night, it all stopped. Tv says: "signal cannot be decoded." We tried EVERYTHING and nothing gets that signal back. Upon doing some research online, we've seen some articles that say that "comcast is now encrypting basic digital signals " and customers who want to watch basic channels (on a HDTV) have to rent a decoding box from them. It's supposedly low-cost (50 cents to $1.99 depending on which website I read) for a few yrs, then it costs "market price." Tell me it ain't so! What do I do NOW? JUST when I thought I had it all figured out and was ditching the comcast noose. HELP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 11:05 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,681,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorac07 View Post
We signed onto netflix, plus, we connected the old comcast cable wire into the tv and used it as an antenna.
Your confusion is to think that you were making an antenna. What was really happening was the Fcc laws required all cable companies to leave the local over the air stations unencrypted. That included ABC/CBS/NBC/FOX, but also PBS ION CW UNIVISION and MYTV along with any local news or religious channels in your area. Sometimes community access or home shopping broadcasts.

You were buying internet services, but the local channels were included according to law.

The laws were changed about a year ago, and one by one the cable companies started encrypting local channels. The change in law required them to give low cost or free set top boxes for the first two years.

If you want your local TV now for free, you will have to purchase a real antenna. The good thing is that the antenna signals are sometimes better than the cable signals because the signal is compressed on many cable systems. The bad thing is that unless you are in a good location, you won't get all the channels. I am outside of the range of almost all antenna signals.

Old 11-20-2013, 11:21 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,177,467 times
You need an antenna and keep in mind there is no such thing as an "HD" antenna*. If the $5 antenna works that is all you need and you won;t see any improvement with a $50 antenna. If you have any TV antenna around even if it's 30 years old plug it in and scan for channels, if you get all the channels nothing more to do. If you don't have any antennas I'd suggest first trying the $5 or $10 model.

The "HD" is marketing gimmick however they are generally better antenna's in the sense you may get more channels with them. You only need to consider one of these more expensive antennas if you can''t tune the channels at all.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,225,768 times
If is was up to me and it isn't; I would just get high speed internet and watch Hulu and get Netflix. Most of the time I miss the few programs that I really want to see. At least I can watch them on Hulu when I want to see them. I would forget to record any shows that really appealed to me.

Unfortunately my other half likes it all and it cost me over $2K a year for everything (phone, high speed, basic and the premium package).

Old 11-21-2013, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Unfortunately my other half likes it all and it cost me over $2K a year for everything (phone, high speed, basic and the premium package).
Happy wife, happy life.

The phone is increasingly irrelevant on cable services. There are a variety of options out there that are cheaper than even the bundled price for cable phones. One very simple option is that many childless families have a cell phone for husband and wife, but they want a cable phone because there are dead spots in the house or in the basement. They have bluetooth wired master/slave handsets now, where you can plug your cell phone in within 5' of the base set in a location in the house with good cell connection, and you can answer either cell phone on handsets through the house. The handsets can function as an intercom or loudspeaker system.

I can understand keeping cable for sports, as it is still the cheapest way to get your fix. But keeping cable to watch network TV, FoxNews, USA, or reruns on Hallmark Channel seems pointless. You can get a lot of that stuff on the internet.

Old 11-21-2013, 06:10 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,225,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
Happy wife, happy life.

The phone is increasingly irrelevant on cable services. There are a variety of options out there that are cheaper than even the bundled price for cable phones. One very simple option is that many childless families have a cell phone for husband and wife, but they want a cable phone because there are dead spots in the house or in the basement. They have bluetooth wired master/slave handsets now, where you can plug your cell phone in within 5' of the base set in a location in the house with good cell connection, and you can answer either cell phone on handsets through the house. The handsets can function as an intercom or loudspeaker system.

I can understand keeping cable for sports, as it is still the cheapest way to get your fix. But keeping cable to watch network TV, FoxNews, USA, or reruns on Hallmark Channel seems pointless. You can get a lot of that stuff on the internet.
Not speaking for the other half; I find very few programs that I really want to watch. I tend to like only programs that present me with original or novel material. I hate poorly made sequels or remakes - that eliminates most of what is on TV or in the movies. As far as local news; on the internet I can hit on the news that I want to hear and avoid the fluff.

I do pay for the whole year when we buy these services. I just wish that they took care of people that like to pay in advance. Blue Ridge Cable drives me nuts - they have no yearly package deals. Their prices vary and their specials vary. I just want the one package deal - I hate monthly payments.

Old 11-21-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Not speaking for the other half; I find very few programs that I really want to watch. I tend to like only programs that present me with original or novel material. I hate poorly made sequels or remakes - that eliminates most of what is on TV or in the movies. As far as local news; on the internet I can hit on the news that I want to hear and avoid the fluff.
TV corporations care about getting young audiences that are big spenders. NCIS, the 2nd ranked TV show starring Mark Harmon, the biggest TV hearthrob of the women over the age of 50 does not even crack the top 10 shows ranked by cost of running a 30 second advertisement.

The Big Bang Theory is the biggest money making show on television. Next year the stars are going to negotiate astronomical salaries, so it will be less profitable, but I am betting that they negotiate a three year contract.

These rankings are for the 2012-13 season, they are different this year.

NBC
1. NBC Sunday Night Football: $570,000: NBC: Weekly viewers: 21.3 million (#1): Seasons on air: eight>
3. The Voice (both Monday and Tuesday): $264,575/$229,167: 15.4/13.8 million (5th/8th highest)
Seasons on air: five

CBS
2. The Big Bang Theory: $326,260: CBS: Weekly viewers: 20.0 million (3rd highest): Seasons on air: seven> 9. Two and a Half Men: $204,176: CBS: Weekly viewers: 10.9 million (23rd highest): Seasons on air: 11

ABC
4. Modern Family: $257,435: ABC: Weekly viewers: 12.6 million (13th highest): Seasons on air: five>
8. Grey’s Anatomy: $206,075: ABC: Weekly viewers: 11.2 million (21st highest): Seasons on air: 10 >
10. Scandal $200,970 : ABC : Weekly viewers: 9.8 million (29th highest):Seasons on air: three >

FOX
5. The Simpsons: $256,963: FOX: Weekly viewers: 6.8 million (52nd highest): Seasons on air: 25>
6. New Girl: $231,570: FOX: Weekly viewers: 5.5 million (tied for 60th highest): Seasons on air: three>
7. Family Guy: $223,145: FOX: Weekly viewers: 5.9 million (56th highest): Seasons on air: 13>

==========================
2013-14 Season Top 10
==========================
NBC
$593,700 Sunday night football
$294,038 The Voice"
$278,987 The Voice" results

FOX
$355,946 American Idol
$289,942 American Idol RESULTS
$236,857 New Girl
$231,532 The Simpsons
$211,832 The Following

CBS
$316,912 "The Big Bang Theory,"

ABC
$281,951 "Modern Family"

$201,650 "The Blacklist" (most expensive new show)

Last edited by PacoMartin; 11-21-2013 at 08:57 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 05:02 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,630,723 times
this actually works better than most store bought antenna.....How to Get Free HDTV with*a Coat Hanger Antenna « TVs & Projectors

Old 11-30-2013, 02:36 PM

269 posts, read 296,815 times
Noticed the same thing about a week ago. Apparently, Comcast has been doing it for months, it just took them a while before they came over here. It's a shame because the HD signal looks good and it's hard to pick up channels here due to the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania