Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 10:46 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times

Advertisements

Hopefully Scranton is able to rebound, but I don't want to stick around to find out, at least not as a city resident. I have to get out of here before the kids are out of elementary school. I'm hearing too many negative things about the schools, and even some of what happens in the grade schools is unbelievable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2011, 11:15 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Hopefully Scranton is able to rebound, but I don't want to stick around to find out, at least not as a city resident. I have to get out of here before the kids are out of elementary school. I'm hearing too many negative things about the schools, and even some of what happens in the grade schools is unbelievable.
I will not cut and run, my husband insisted on buying in the city limits. He is aware of my concerns regarding little man. I am keeping my fingers crossed regarding NE intermediate. If there is one problem he will be put in private school. The only problem I am having is finding one with a good science curriculum. I am open to him being taught creationism as long as he is also taught evolution.

Old 02-25-2011, 11:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,821,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
I will not cut and run, my husband insisted on buying in the city limits. He is aware of my concerns regarding little man. I am keeping my fingers crossed regarding NE intermediate. If there is one problem he will be put in private school. The only problem I am having is finding one with a good science curriculum. I am open to him being taught creationism as long as he is also taught evolution.
I had thought about private school, but with the cost over the years, especially with 2 kids, I could sell the house, and buy outside of the city in a better public district for less money. Add in the 2.4% raise in pay for moving out of the city and its a no-brainer. Scranton is not going to get better, the best you can hope for is that it won't get any worse, but the trend does not look good. And with the gang problems in the schools, I just don't feel right keeping my kids in these schools. The elementary schools I can live with, but the middle and high schools, no way. Even in the elementary schools, I've heard some ridiculous things like students bringing weapons to school. Another beef I have is the fact they do not provide buses to school unless they live what seems to be 5 miles from school. 11 year old 6th graders having to walk 2 miles to school in all kinds of weather is downright ridiculous for the amount of taxes paid to the Scranton School District.

Keep in mind, that I have no real connections to the city, I grew up outside of Scranton, and only moved here because of a limited budget when starting out and found a cheap house in a decent neighborhood. If I didn't have kids in school, I might not be unhappy here, as my immediate neighborhood is OK. But its not really home to me.....its amazing when I tell people from where I grew up that I live in Scranton, they usually look at me like I have 3 heads and ask "WHY?" Even people in my neighborhood wonder why I would move into Scranton when I didn't live there before.

Old 02-25-2011, 12:39 PM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
I know exactly what you mean and how you feel. Having only one school aged child, we are in a different boat. My husband loves our little 101 year old home and I love my immediate neighbors and my son is so happy with his school, we did not want to change it. The truth is I settled, as I have many many times. It keeps peace and keeps our 22.5 year marriage going, sometimes one spouse gives 80 and the other only 20 but it all balances out in the end!

I did not want to buy in Scranton, but this is my husbands home town and he wanted to own a home here. It made him happy and little man was thrilled he would not be changing schools.

My husband put so many restrictions when I was looking at houses to buy, I was happy he found something we both like and agreed to buy it. It also has a nice little mortgage. We have already discussed trading up in a few years, so we will see what changes the years bring.

Right now we have one more year with lil man at Neil Armstrong, his is happy has friends and his last report card was 5 A's and a B+. Sorry for bragging but I am a very proud and impressed Mama. He works very hard!!! While he has an IEP due to his ADHD, he takes none of the accommodations afforded him and does the full grade and full load of class work with his peers. The teachers are wonderful at this school! For this, I will always be greatful.

I love Scranton, I truly do, I just worry about my young one!!!!!!!!!!!! I am just very concerned about the direction of the city and the Mayor, what a jerk! His approach to public safety has caused me to lose sleep and that is not ok. So I hope they find a use for the mall, that truly is a benefit for the city! With it going down hill, use it for a Library annex, a community center, after school programs etc. Things that will bring families to it. If we as a community work together, we can change the make-up of the city, but with the current Admin...not gonna happen.

Old 02-25-2011, 05:14 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
@gophillies Dallas ASD, is ranked 25th in the state. I was shocked when I saw that. You might want to look into the Back Mountain. The elementary school is really nice, the whole complex is actually very nice. The only downside I see, is it is in Luzerne county.

Old 02-25-2011, 06:00 PM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
bloominscranton
We are about 7-8 blocks away from each other, My kids went to Armstrong also. I was more than happy with the quality of education they got there. Scranton isnt all that bad, but it sure does need a different direction than the one the current administration is pushing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania