Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:50 PM

13,253 posts, read 33,437,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
The Geese you are referencing are called Canada Geese not Canadian.
You know, I wrote Canada Geese but it just didn't look right. oh, well.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 07:53 PM

224 posts, read 227,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
You know, I wrote Canada Geese but it just didn't look right. oh, well.
la-di-da, la-di-da.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:05 PM

996 posts, read 1,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
She was right about hearing geese at that time, but so far all I see are the Canadian ones, not the snow geese. I have seen huge flocks of the Snow geese in corn fields near by parents house is South Jersey but would love to see them in the air.
Yesterday i saw a formation of geese going over - there were about 14 geese in the V and 3 ofthem were white (Snow) geese.

I never before saw them flying together..

Old 03-05-2011, 05:41 AM

18,763 posts, read 18,050,478 times
Down by Allentown and Fogelsville you can see plenty of Snow Geese. I have seen some flocks that might have over a thousand birds. They are usually mixed in with the Canada Geese. There is one pond, that is visible from Route 22 on the south side as you pass through Bethlehem, that is loaded with geese (usually Canada Geese). If you take Route 100 south at Fogelsville and make a right on Schantz Road, there is a large field that gets packed with Snow Geese and Canada Geese. There are also plenty of other good viewing spots in that area. Just watch out that you don’t get something in your eye!

Actually; I always called them Canadian - sorry coalboy (it might be a local thing).

Old 03-05-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
Down by Allentown and Fogelsville you can see plenty of Snow Geese. I have seen some flocks that might have over a thousand birds. They are usually mixed in with the Canada Geese. There is one pond, that is visible from Route 22 on the south side as you pass through Bethlehem, that is loaded with geese (usually Canada Geese). If you take Route 100 south at Fogelsville and make a right on Schantz Road, there is a large field that gets packed with Snow Geese and Canada Geese. There are also plenty of other good viewing spots in that area. Just watch out that you don’t get something in your eye!

Actually; I always called them Canadian - sorry coalboy (it might be a local thing).
you say potato, I say POE-TOT- OH
I think it was Sunday or Monday it was so windy the Geese were in Vee-Formation flying directly into the 40 mile an hour Northwest gusts, that it looked like they were in a static position...the lead Goose kept dropping altitude to the right while a stronger member of the formation moved up to the forefront...that's probably the first time I've ever seen that...
In the evening when they were heading back to the river they were riding the wind currents and were flying as fast as the old SST'S.

They fly directly over my house in the evening and splatter the hades out of my vehicles...I'm usually out there with a bucket of warm water and an old towel cleaning off the splatters after dinner.

I get them back the next day though when I'm riding by the golf course and they are feeding along the fringes of the road...I honk my horn a few times and they look up for a moment...they never honk back though...

Old 03-05-2011, 08:13 AM

996 posts, read 1,052,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coalboy View Post
..the lead Goose kept dropping altitude
I know a few guys that drop them with 3 1/2 " Magnum Hevi-Shot via 12ga semi autos..

The problem with geese in an urban/suburban setting is that they are non-stop poop machines.

LAST DAY OF ICE FISHING in NEPA:

I took the Big Guy back to Moosehead Lake on Thursday afternoon. One more shot at a batch of Crappies before this weekend's rains seals the deal on this year's ice.

The game plan was for us to split up so we can be more efficient - one of us would fish the weed line at 6 feet depth and the other would try the deeper holes about 100 yards away.

I chose my weapon of choice and wanted it strung up with 4lb test and a micro-*** tipped with a waxworm.

Unfortunately, "HE" had a different strategy and expected me to work this new-fangled contraption:

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_mqwMWqeJqGg/TXJNrUm5EhI/AAAAAAAABGE/E-htDaAQebk/***%20ROD%20ON%20MOOSEHEAD.jpg[/IMG]

I was given strict orders to pay close attention to the rod tip since the bite has been very light. I was even expected to stand at attention - off the mat with my bum on the ice if need be...

I met him half-way, settled onto the mat while I riveted my full attention to the rod because I wanted to catch the first fish:

But that gameplan did not last very long:

Fish were caught, the ice varied in spots from 13" to 6" over the spring fed weed beds. The ice is getting very unpredictable for any future excursions. It was popping like a bag of kernels in a microwave when we were there.

As we headed off the lake for the mile or so hike back to the truck, I had to turn around and take a look at my favorite lake at sunset.

I'm really gonna miss ice fishing....I love the cold, snow and ice - the more the better.

But, on the other paw, my second favorite thing is Spring Mud Season.
I love transforming myself into a chocolate lab.

SPRING HAS SPRUNG in NEPA... BRING ON THE RAIN!!

Old 03-05-2011, 09:03 AM

Great shots! Man, your dog is so cool...looks like he REALLY enjoys hangin' with you.

Talking about Geese poop, My Golden likes to eat it when it gets to be a certain ripeness, still moist but chewy...he puts three for in his mouth and eats them like
'Slim Jims' on the way home.
When he gets in the house he runs up to my wife and gives her a big lick on the face...
Haven't the heart or the nerve to tell her where his mug has been!

It's getting into the Sixties today down here...I expect to see some bigger fish moving into the shoals this afternoon on my river walk with my dog,,,

I'ts real 'purty' 'round here this time of year... we don't get Mud Season, but I know what that's like when some members of my fam had a Log Cabin in Northeast VT.
Sometimes it's hard to believe that I am only 7 short miles away from the 'Congo' and I used to work sometimes 12 straight hours a day there just a few short years ago.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:24 AM

11 posts, read 21,868 times
Default A Goose is a Goose

If its from Canada its "Canadian"

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 AM

513 posts, read 1,077,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterg88 View Post
If its from Canada its "Canadian"
So a Labrador Retriever born in the US is an American Retriever, swifty?
The name of the animal is Canada Goose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania