Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:25 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times

Advertisements

This thread is for people who moved to NEPA as adults. Even if you have lived here for 20 years or more. As long as you did not move here with your parents
1..from what state and or city did you move?

2. How long have you lived here?

3,Please share with us what you what you enjoy most about NEPA life.
What are some of your favorite things here in NEPA!
This list may be as long or as short as you want it to be!

4,If you miss anything about your former area what is it?

5. If you had it to do allover again, would you still move to the same location or another one?

Thanks everyone!

~ Sheena12
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 10:21 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
OK I'll go first!

1 From what state and city did you move?
From stony Brook NY to Wilkes Barre

2. What do you enjoy most about NEPA?
Friendly and unpretentious people!

Very nice and welcoming neighbors!

Much lower cost of living!

walkability I really enjoy walking my dogs and chatting with neighbors.Can't wait for front porch season!

My new Church - these people are uber friendly and NOT in a phony way. Although I did not change my religion, the difference between this church and the one on Long Island is like "night and day."

Natural beauty! Mountains, lakes, and State Parks.

Slower pace of life.

Market Square

The River front-

Boscov's! They wrap presents!

ArtsYouniverse! Very cool place!

The presence of many colleges in the area and the cultural activities that they bring to the area.

Great thrift shops!

Wegmans Supermarket - we had NOTHING even close to that back home!

An array of really good restaurants.
I can't think but there are many more!

4. Any thing you miss from back home?
Really not too much. Stores staying open later, and inexpensive nail salons. That's about it!

5. If you had it to do allover again would you move here?
In a heart beat!

Old 03-03-2011, 07:29 AM

60 posts, read 158,874 times
1. From what state and or city did you move?
Lawrence, Kansas

3.5 years

3. Please share with us what you what you enjoy most about NEPA life.
Trees, mountains, DWGNRA, real pizza, real Italian bakeries and specialty shops, no tornadoes (or at least very rare)

4. If you miss anything about your former area what is it?
My family, friends, slower pace of life, better services, lower cost of living, BBQ, downtown Lawrence, Kansas City blues and jazz

5. If you had it to do allover again, would you still move to the same location or another one?
I would have stayed in KS or possibly considered the area around Research Triangle Park, NC

Toon

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
been here 33+ yrs. Moved from Binghamton, NY (10 yrs); grew up in western NY, about 20 miles from Niagara Falls. i really don't miss anything about it. With the exception of an occasional venture into Elmira to visit a friend there, I'd probably never go there again. Not meaning any hate or animosity but there's just nothing there for me anymore.

I like the trees and creeks and space. I like the hawks, bear, deer, possum, even the skunks are pretty. From a distance.
If I had it to do over? I don't go there. Life is a one way street. I did what I did. i can only choose what to do now.

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
been here 33+ yrs. Moved from Binghamton, NY (10 yrs); grew up in western NY, about 20 miles from Niagara Falls. i really don't miss anything about it. With the exception of an occasional venture into Elmira to visit a friend there, I'd probably never go there again. Not meaning any hate or animosity but there's just nothing there for me anymore.

I like the trees and creeks and space. I like the hawks, bear, deer, possum, even the skunks are pretty. From a distance.
If I had it to do over? I don't go there. Life is a one way street. I did what I did. i can only choose what to do now.
Coming from Binghamton and Western NY probably wasn't much of a culture shock....pretty similar to NE PA.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:27 PM

400 posts, read 738,198 times
I love this thread! I can't participate other than that, though, since I don't live there.

Sheena, I'm from your old stomping grounds. I live near Stony Brook and work at the university. I spent many summers (the whole summer) in NEPA while my kids were growing up. Wegman's, yes!

Old 03-03-2011, 01:38 PM

224 posts, read 228,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post

Great post...and a pure and philosophic view on life... (tried to give you rep but was stymied)

Old 03-03-2011, 01:51 PM

2,009 posts, read 3,779,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
This thread is for people who moved to NEPA as adults. Even if you have lived here for 20 years or more. As long as you did not move here with your parents

Thanks everyone!

~ Sheena12
Moved here from Morris County, New Jersey
Since 1989
I like the fact it's not as crowded as Jersey
My favorites are the friends i made
I miss Jersey alot, i miss the Pizza, Jersey tomatoes and bread. I miss the beautiful scenery, and my family and friends that are still there.
I would still move and i would still move to Gouldsboro

Old 03-03-2011, 02:38 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times

I moved here from Dumont, NJ, but I am a New Yorker origianally. Lived in the Bronx, Manhattan, Staten Island and Queens. Born in New Rochele, NY and did some time in Boston and Brandon, FL.

I've been here 16 years now.

I like the areas of NEPA that are less populated and still rural. I love the natural wild life...deer, hawks, bears, etc. I like to "get lost" and explore all of NEPA.

Sidewalks! I love to walk. Where I live if I try to walk, I'd be a road kill. I'm not too inclined to get in the car and drive somewhere to walk. I'd love to just be able to go out my front door. I miss going down to Manhattan once in a while...haven't been since the 90's. I also miss not having real bread, pizza, bagels and quality bakeries.

I probably would move to NEPA, but I would have held out longer for a piece of property with water...lake, pond, stream. I have 16 acres, but no water. I also do not like that the speed limit on my street is 35mph and 45-55mph is the norm.

Old 03-03-2011, 02:41 PM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toonamatic View Post
real pizza, real Italian bakeries
OMG...are things really that bad in Kansas that you consider we have real pizza and real italian bakeries?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania