Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 07:15 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,189 times

Advertisements

Scranton Tomorrow was headed by a just out of her teens girl whose biggest accomplishment was throwing beer bashes in the top floor of parking garages, THAT qualified her th become head of OECD in Scranton.. a disaster if yuou read the latest Accounting report of mismanaged and misapplied funds.
I was a member of the Chamber of Commerce for 3 years.. It is as useful as boob s on a bull.. nothing more than a Frat. for the older crowd.. their biggest hit was their monthly beer and wine party where the same old same old showed up and handed their business cards to the same people they gave them to the month before.. The Chamber IMHO is nothing more than a self promoting bunch of back slappers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 08:28 AM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
Sounds an awful lot like that "POWER" group. They published a few "success stories" which were nothing more than a few connected names coming home to work in their family's businesses, and then they all get together and throw "cocktail parties" (fancy word for a kegger).
lol! no surprises here!

Old 03-07-2011, 10:00 AM

2 posts, read 3,476 times
Thanks you for the replies. It seems not much has changed at all with all of the talk of "insular friends" and names not being good enough It sounds like high school all over again. Oh well, I'm still coming with a great attitude and a determination to enjoy this go around in NEPA. Someone asked- I'm moving back to the area from Philadelphia.

Old 03-09-2011, 05:36 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,372 times
Good for you! Regardless of how I may sound at times, I am happy my hubby came "home" and brought us with him! I just wish my accent was softer! LOl, my littlest one is having a wonderful childhood, so for that I will always be grateful; I just fear what he will inherit!

RR...there are worse things in life than having a Les Spindler on every block, you will live and learn, or at least you will live!

Old 03-09-2011, 01:41 PM

1,294 posts, read 3,254,120 times
Biggest change in the last 15 years?

The Red Barons are now called the YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:58 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp2007 View Post
Biggest change in the last 15 years?

The Red Barons are now called the YANKEES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nuff said.
And nobody goes to the games anymore.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:23 PM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
I haven't lived there in six years, but I visit frequently (family). From my own observations, it is probably more corrupt than it was 15 years ago. Economic segregation continues to rise. More housing developments and chain stores being built. Wouldn't call that progress. Oh, also higher taxes. And of course the SWB Yankees lol.

One thing that hasn't changed is the miserable, suicidal weather. I came out once for the 4th of July and it downpoured. I've been there in the summer where the sun did not come out for a week.

Old 03-11-2011, 07:45 AM

904 posts, read 2,055,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNEXP View Post
I am moving back to Scranton with my family after being away for over 15 years. My wife and I grew up in Scranton, and having lived in a large city for the last 15 years, we couldn't imagine becoming "suburbanites" overnight, so we are purchasing a home in the city. While we are moving mainly to be closer to family, there are other reasons we decided to make this move- a slower pace of life, less traffic, lower cost of living, etc. I've been spending some time on this forum and have found it very enlightening. I'd like to thank many of the frequent posters for their insight into the place I will soon be calling home again.

I am coming back to Scranton with a great attitude about the city, and I'm hoping to see Scranton thrive again. I'm not looking for Scranton to be what it once was, I'm looking to embrace the changes and help make it a better place in the future. I have two questions:

1) What are the biggest changes in the last 15 years or so?
2) Where can I find like-minded, positive thinking individuals who want to make Scranton a better place?
Welcome! What part of town are you moving to?

#1 Can't say first hand as I've only been here about 3 years. But I can say that this board is the only place I've encountered people who say that it's worse overall than 15-20 years ago.

#2 They exist, though don't seem well organized aside from the groups mentioned here. Local community groups may have a lot of the kinds of people you're looking for. People can poopoo Scranton Tomorrow all they want, and I find some of their stuff annoying. *But* First Fridays are the best thing this this city has going on. Yeah, I don't care for most of the art, but the event actually gets lots of people downtown. It's just once a month, but it changes people's perception of the city, even if just temporarily.

The city has its issues, but this message board will bring you down more than anything you're likely to encounter in real life.

Old 03-11-2011, 10:34 AM

135 posts, read 230,185 times
I actually use to be very optimistic and positive about this city... it is difficult because of the vast corruption. Politics in this area "PREVENTS" progress. I'm sorry, it's just the way it is. I don't want to sugarcoat anything. blip may be right, you can probably find a nice optimistic niche (aka local community groups) that could make things better and much brighter. However, I stand by my argument that not much has changed in 15 years. Mostly the politics and it's difficult to change that mentality.

There's many great places in America that are affordable and can offer you that slower pace of life. Just be aware that if you choose the greater Scranton/Wilkes-Barre metro area, you'll be dealing with pretty much little change and political corruption. If you want to change things, I wish you the best of luck . It's tough out there.

On a side note: My post on the Scranton/WB 2010 census forum was supposedly rude and was deleted. Yes, that post wasn't a serious one and was more sarcastic. This one is SERIOUS. It's constructive criticism and many people agree about the corruption and lack of progress. You asked about what has changed, and I'm telling you the truth. I don't want you to be misinformed on here. Just be cautious with your decision. I'm not saying change is forever hopeless there, but the chances are slim at this point.

Last edited by westcoast30; 03-11-2011 at 10:43 AM.. Reason: clarification

Old 03-11-2011, 10:29 PM

4,526 posts, read 6,086,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blip View Post
Welcome! What part of town are you moving to?

#1 Can't say first hand as I've only been here about 3 years. But I can say that this board is the only place I've encountered people who say that it's worse overall than 15-20 years ago.

#2 They exist, though don't seem well organized aside from the groups mentioned here. Local community groups may have a lot of the kinds of people you're looking for. People can poopoo Scranton Tomorrow all they want, and I find some of their stuff annoying. *But* First Fridays are the best thing this this city has going on. Yeah, I don't care for most of the art, but the event actually gets lots of people downtown. It's just once a month, but it changes people's perception of the city, even if just temporarily.

The city has its issues, but this message board will bring you down more than anything you're likely to encounter in real life.
having been a nepa er since birth---posters are being honest when they say the area has gone downhill in tha last 20 years---especially more noticeable if one has returned after being away awhile

the groups that do exsist here are high schoolish in their approach to co hesiveness(ie--slow to accept out of area people with different backgrounds and lifestyles__if they are accepted as active particpating to the fullest members at all---and i have witnessed this myself)

reality here does bite!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania