Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,658,795 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
And I just KNEW you and WBP and john would completely ignore what I've said about rappers with positive messages. Knew it. Thanks for proving me right!
We didn't ignore you, I knew there were some rappers with a positive message. Seems they get ignored by the masses too. If it's not gangsta, it's not hip.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:26 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
We didn't ignore you, I knew there were some rappers with a positive message. Seems they get ignored by the masses too. If it's not gangsta, it's not hip.
Lauryn Hill isn't hip? de la soul isn't hip? LOL Ok... And you didn't even acknowledge the positive aspect of rap and hip hop. You are intent on believing that the whole ghetto culture is trash.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:57 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Ghetto foods,lol. I believe it is Soul food and good ole home cooking. Admire the ghetto? Most people I know that have come from a socieconomic depressed background do 2 things. Bust butt to get out, or bust butt to go back and improve the ghetto.

I have a friend here, that grew up in Philly an extremely talented young man, loved by his parents and taught right from wrong. Had the start of a great music career, got caught up in some of the "dangers" off the street, lost his way, got into drugs and violence. After be coming an addict he got shot 6 times and ended up doing a nice bit in prison.

Now about 10 years later, clean and sober, he moved here to start over. No drugs, no gangsta life, is the proud and devoted father of a gorgeous baby. Is busting his butt to make it happen all over again. He picked a new place, new people and new things, he denounces what he once was. I will listen to him before I will listen to a left leaning self appointed authority on all things. First he played the part, then he learned the part, it almost killed him. He learned, paid his debt, regained his faith, I asked him if he would want his daughter to grown up where he did, he said he would die before that happened. Why? Because it is so easy when surrounded by all the negatives, to get lost in it.

Yes folks gangs are moving into Scranton, but they are just trying to get a foot hold, if the Mayor continues his attack on fire and police, the bad guys are going to WIn! BTW, my friend is a Rapper and a good one at that, but he tells his story and where it will lead, jail, shot, dead or if you are lucky very very very lucky...a second chance.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:31 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower7 View Post
I see a lot on these boards that some people are saying that the crime has gotten so bad in the Scranton/WB area. I grew up in the Mid Valley area and left in late 2004. My friends that still live seem to complain about the crime and how they "don't want their kids to go to high school here". Have things REALLY gotten that bad in the last 7 years? If you listen to some people Scranton has turned into Newark (which I highly doubt). So I'm wondering if it's that there's now some minor crime (where there was previously none) or if there's really been a legit increase in crime in the area like there's been in the Poconos in the past ten years. The Poconos increase is due to the population explosion that's happened there but according to the census data, Scranton/WB seems to be relatively steady population wise.
Let's keep this local please. There are other forums where you can discuss rap music.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 AM

513 posts, read 1,080,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers 2008 View Post
And like DE_NePA stated, if you don't believe that there is gang activity here, then you have to wake up and see the truth.
I think you are confused and referring to a post by RiversideForever wherein he quoted my post. It's him who sees Bloods and Crips everywhere.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:32 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,624,454 times
Quote:
Yeah I'm feeling a bit snarky today. But I just saw a story that would go very well in this "debate". Apparently anything rooted in ghetto culture should be avoided at all costs. Well, parents hide your kids and burn those jump ropes; for it seems Double Dutch originated in ghetto 'hoods! ::faint::

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double_Dutch_(jump_rope)
I thought that was common knowledge!!! LOL

Old 04-13-2011, 07:43 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,366 times
Quote:
Lauryn Hill isn't hip? de la soul isn't hip? LOL Ok... And you didn't even acknowledge the positive aspect of rap and hip hop. You are intent on believing that the whole ghetto culture is trash.
I wish he would just admit, it's only because they are black. He will defend white rock band degradation of women with "it's not as bad as rap" while trying to crucify black rappers.
Songs like, Brown Sugar by The Rolling Stones or Bring Your Daughters To The Slaughter by Iron Maiden are not as bad as black rappers singing the same thing, right?

Old 04-13-2011, 08:22 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
I'm sorry, but I have to go to work. I can't babysit this thread any longer.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania