Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 06:41 PM

360 posts, read 1,019,494 times

Advertisements

I see a lot on these boards that some people are saying that the crime has gotten so bad in the Scranton/WB area. I grew up in the Mid Valley area and left in late 2004. My friends that still live seem to complain about the crime and how they "don't want their kids to go to high school here". Have things REALLY gotten that bad in the last 7 years? If you listen to some people Scranton has turned into Newark (which I highly doubt). So I'm wondering if it's that there's now some minor crime (where there was previously none) or if there's really been a legit increase in crime in the area like there's been in the Poconos in the past ten years. The Poconos increase is due to the population explosion that's happened there but according to the census data, Scranton/WB seems to be relatively steady population wise.

Old 03-28-2011, 08:46 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,275,757 times
Yeah. I think It's safe to say crime is up in the region as a whole. Wilkes-Barre had a near record voilent crime and homicide rate in 2009, but has been relatively quite lately for the most part. Scranton seems to have rising crime and more frequent high profile crime from what I have seen on the news, and Hazleton...don't even ask. I think alot of it is attributed to some of the thug/gangsta element that have been migrating to NEPA from NYC, Philly, Newark ect. Some has to do with a bad ecomomy ect, but overall we have a very low violent crime rate when compared to other metro areas of the same size...it's still sad to say that yes it is on the rise though

Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,823,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by W-B proud View Post
I think alot of it is attributed to some of the thug/gangsta element that have been migrating to NEPA from NYC, Philly, Newark ect.

You are 100% correct. Before the ghetto element came to town, NEPA was one of the safest places in the country. The more inner city ghetto/welfare/drug dealer types migrate to the area, the higher the crime rate.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:15 AM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
You are 100% correct. Before the ghetto element came to town, NEPA was one of the safest places in the country. The more inner city ghetto/welfare/drug dealer types migrate to the area, the higher the crime rate.
They come here for a reason. Part of that reason is to sell drugs to the almost entirely white population who in this area love to smoke pot or meth. Factor in the very cheap real estate and love for drugs, it's a no brainer.

But as is the prevailing attitude in NEPA and much of the U.S., it is easier to blame the big bad boogyman than our neighbor who likes to get high.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:18 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Yes crime has increased, it is more visible now. The difference between now and the mid 80's? The druggies use to have to commute to get their posion, now they have to walk to buy it. That is what happens when a Mayor publicly says there is no gangs and crime is low even though residents know it is on the up tick! Then the brillant city leader cuts public safety to the bare bone, there is a strong market for the crapola, and the connected want to maintain the status quo! Lovely isn't it?

Old 03-30-2011, 04:51 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,310,566 times
Yes dealers wouldn't come here if there wasn't a market for it. Look at all the flaming idiots trying bath salts even though their dangers have been splashed all over the news.

Crime has increased here because of the drug and gangster element. But it is confined mostly to that element as well. I hear very little about random crimes.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:13 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,954,370 times
Gang violence will effect innocents at some point, it always happens, usually not intentionally, but that does not help when a mother is holding her bleeding child after a rival drive by....

Old 03-30-2011, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloominscranton View Post
Gang violence will effect innocents at some point, it always happens, usually not intentionally, but that does not help when a mother is holding her bleeding child after a rival drive by....
The child is in the gang life. I'm not sure I said it didn't effect innocent people in the long run. I simply said that violence is usually not targeted at those who are not in the life.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:50 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,183,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Wow.
They see me rollin
They hatin
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty
Tryin to catch me ridin dirty
My music so loud.....

Old 03-30-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
They see me rollin
They hatin
Patrolling they tryin to catch me ridin dirty
My music so loud.....
Oooh you better watch out. That kind of music ain't looked kindly on 'round dese parts!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania