Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:57 AM

108 posts, read 369,582 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
Thats cause we're Pennsyltuckians!!! LMFAO!!!
LOL. I'm almost afraid to ask what a Pennsyltuckian is.

P.S. I was stationed at Ft. Knox for a while, hence my fear of asking...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 08:16 AM

1,305 posts, read 2,615,724 times
Its a term that has been used by people who move here from neighboring states..meaning we are somewhat backwoods and hickish in our ways.. They dont understand why we are the way we are..close knit,clannish, somewhat leery of strangers, pro NRA , ant Abortion, Pro Democrat... many contradictions.. ETC. { that is a generalization, not my personal beliefs}

Old 03-30-2011, 08:54 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,873,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
OK, I appreciate any info you could find out and give me. I am fairly certain however that there are no restrictions on transporting handguns or long arms over state lines (NY and some other states excluded) into PA unless they've changed the laws within the last 2 months. Better to be safe than sorry though!
I'd be careful and call each state you intend to go through with them, each one is going to have a different set of rules. I know NJ is over the top and there was some guy got 7 years for something that was completely legal here AFAIK. I beleive he had two high capacity magazines which is one thing he got arrested for.

Family: New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally - Philly.com

I believe Christie commuted the sentence, probably never got the whole story in the paper either.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-30-2011 at 09:10 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 09:40 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,819,407 times
Quote:
LOL. I'm almost afraid to ask what a Pennsyltuckian is.

P.S. I was stationed at Ft. Knox for a while, hence my fear of asking...
PA is Pittsburgh and Philly separated by Kentucky.

Old 03-30-2011, 09:45 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,161,945 times
Quote:
3 bullets max at any state gameland range, get caught with more and you will no longer own your firearm, they are very strict and have more authority than the local police. they can take your gun, car , and arrest you.
That seems excessive. I mean if that's what the people in your state want so be it. Here in arkansas such a thing would be unheard of. Sigh, just another cultural difference between us I suppose. +

Old 03-30-2011, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
That seems excessive. I mean if that's what the people in your state want so be it. Here in arkansas such a thing would be unheard of. Sigh, just another cultural difference between us I suppose. +

The funding for these ranges comes from hunting licenses, they aren't there to cater to Mr. AK47. There's going to be stricter regualtions for game lands but overall PA is very friendly state to gun owners. Easily in the top 5 or 10 nation wide.

I know PA is pretty unique with this but the Game Commission controls millions of acres of land they acquired over many decades purchased with hunting license fees. These lands are freely available to any hunter or the general public. They are just insuring those that pay for them are not being interfered with by people out blasting away. If you want to go shoot a AK47 you'll need to find private accommodations.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-30-2011 at 10:52 AM..

Old 03-30-2011, 10:47 AM

Well, I do own a few AK-47's but I will adhere to the law and keep 3 rounds in each magazine. Good thing I have a lot of magazines.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I'd be careful and call each state you intend to go through with them, each one is going to have a different set of rules. I know NJ is over the top and there was some guy got 7 years for something that was completely legal here AFAIK. I beleive he had two high capacity magazines which is one thing he got arrested for.

Family: New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally - Philly.com

I believe Christie commuted the sentence, probably never got the whole story in the paper either.
Wow. Reading stuff like that makes my blood boil.

When I lived in NJ, I jumped through hoops to get my pistol permit. Same thing when I moved to NYC. Glad I don't have to do that in PA. One of the first things I'll apply for is my PA carry permit which should be a piece of cake compared to the crap I had to go through with the NYPD.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Its a term that has been used by people who move here from neighboring states..meaning we are somewhat backwoods and hickish in our ways.. They dont understand why we are the way we are..close knit,clannish, somewhat leery of strangers, pro NRA , ant Abortion, Pro Democrat... many contradictions.. ETC. { that is a generalization, not my personal beliefs}
Well I guess I'm part Pennsyltuckian then. I'm pretty progressive when it comes to certain things, but I'm also pro NRA, center-leaning Republican, not crazy about abortion but do support a woman's right to choose, etc. etc. On the other hand, I'm anti-racist, I like keeping the planet healthy but I do like big, diesel 4x4 pickup trucks, and I don't mind killing and eating something with a face on it.

Hopefully I'll fit in with the rest...

Old 03-30-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
One of the first things I'll apply for is my PA carry permit which should be a piece of cake compared to the crap I had to go through with the NYPD.
As long as you have a clean record shouldn't be an issue at all, if I remember correctly the statistic was 1 in 10 in Luzerne county has one. I never heard of anyone having an issue getting one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania