Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 03:15 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
my son has his new jersey permit and he came too.

he too was in violataion since although he isnt restricted to new jersey ,he can not stop off anywhere going to and from the range so he wasnt allowed technically to sleep over by us in pa.
That has to do with travel from point A to point B in NJ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2011, 04:12 PM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
That has to do with travel from point A to point B in NJ.
correct, but if you break the terms of your permit as to what they are in new jersey then your not in legal in possesion in pa. new jersey law says you can leave your premises to go to a range but going to and from must be un-broken.

just because you drive to another state doesnt mean that law doesnt stand.

we have the same thing here in nyc. we are all issued residence permits . state law says we cant leave the residence.

the nyc police commissioner gives us a permission slip that says its ok to break state law and go to a nypd approved range or hunt a field with a valid hunting license. if you arent doing any of the above then state law rules and our permits are not valid out of the house....

thats why even though pa has no permit system in place for ownership the terms of our nyc permits over ride and since we arent within the terms of being off residence we arent in possesion of our guns legally in nyc and there fore we are not in legal possesion in pa.

pa specifically says any handguns you own in pa you must be in legal possesion of and thats where the circle goes round and round.

Last edited by mathjak107; 03-31-2011 at 04:46 PM..

Old 03-31-2011, 07:05 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
The circle does go round and round. The gun laws in NJ are crazy, but are much more restrictive in NYC.

I'm not a lawyer, so I can't give a definitive answer. It seems to me that your sons biggest sweat is getting out of NJ. Years ago, my husband used to take his gun to PA to shoot at a range with his father. He (legally) transported his legally owned weapon to NEPA for a week every summer to shoot with his Dad.

I've know a few guys who have gone to north central PA annually to hunt deer. Their guns are in their temporary domicile - they rent a cabin.

I still don't think that you son can't transport his weapon to your house and be on the good side of the law.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:52 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,177,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
They issued your license to carry on the spot with no wait or background checks?
They run an instant background check. Basically the same one that is run when you buy a firearm. I have nothing but praise for the Lackawanna Sheriff's gun permit division.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnqpublic View Post
The fee is 25 dollars, it was 35, but I do believe it was lowered last year, I renewed prior to that.
It was $31. State law states that the fee is $25. Numerous counties were illegally overcharging for the LTCF. The State Attorney was made aware of this and the counties that were overcharging have been informed that the fee can't be higher than $25.

Quote:
P.S. if you open carry, there is no LTC needed, but thats a whole other can of worms!! :-)
Indeed. However, if you open carry in a vehicle or in Philly, then you need a LTCF.

Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM

108 posts, read 370,357 times
Quote:
In Lackawanna county, you fill out an application at the Sheriffs office, they run you thru the computer system while you wait, if clean, your out of there in 20 minutes with a laminated LTC permit.. The fee is 25 dollars, it was 35, but I do believe it was lowered last year, I renewed prior to that. LTC's are good for 5 years then have to be renewed.
Interesting. I'm assuming that only applies to Lackawanna county though right? How about Pike? What's the process like?

Old 03-31-2011, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
I still don't think that you son can't transport his weapon to your house and be on the good side of the law.
I'm no lawyer, but NJ allows transportation of firearms to/from target ranges. As long as he drives directly from his NJ home to a range in PA and shoots a few rounds, he should be fine by NJ law. He should then be able to drive to his PA house, since NJ law doesn't apply in PA. On the way back, he can stop again at the range, shoot a few more rounds, then drive directly to his NJ home. If he gets questioned by a LEO in NJ as to why he is going to a range in PA and not NJ, he can answer that NJ public ranges do not allow centerfire rifles or handguns while PA public ranges do, which is a perfectly valid reason.

NJ Statutes
Quote:
2C:39-6. a. Provided a person complies with the requirements of subsection j. of this section, N.J.S.2C:39-5 does not apply to:

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:
(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder

Old 03-31-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amstel78 View Post
Interesting. I'm assuming that only applies to Lackawanna county though right? How about Pike? What's the process like?
The process to apply is similar throughout the Commonwealth. However, different counties can take longer to process. State law allows up to 45 days to approve or deny. 2A hostile cities, like Philadelphia, will delay and obstruct the application process as much as they can. They will throw illegal requirements and deny you for so much as a parking ticket. Then, they go to Harrisburg to complain that law abiding citizens are getting FL permits instead.

Most counties in NEPA are 2A friendly. I don't think that Pike county will give you any hard time.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
The process to apply is similar throughout the Commonwealth. However, different counties can take longer to process. State law allows up to 45 days to approve or deny. 2A hostile cities, like Philadelphia, will delay and obstruct the application process as much as they can. They will throw illegal requirements and deny you for so much as a parking ticket. Then, they go to Harrisburg to complain that law abiding citizens are getting FL permits instead.

Most counties in NEPA are 2A friendly. I don't think that Pike county will give you any hard time.
Great info. Thanks for sharing. One other question - since you mention that people from PA are getting FL permits because of the reciprocal agreement, can a Pike resident go to Lackawanna county and obtain their permit there? Or are PA residents restricted to only applying with their county's sheriff? I don't mind waiting up to 45 days if necessary, but then I also like the idea of being done with it as soon as possible.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
A much needed clarification of the "when and How to use" part of the current laws. I for one can't wait until it passes, then it will be clearly shown what we can and can not do when needed without fear of the repercussions of the laws that are misread on a daily basis in this state.
I fully agree, and I too can't wait to see some clear guidance on when deadly force is permitted to protect one's family and/or property.

I've seen enough carnage from having served in the military, and I hope to never use a weapon in defense or anger again, but if I have too, it'd be nice knowing I won't get thrown in prison just because some idiot forced me or my family into that position.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Unfortunately, no. You have to apply through your county's Sheriff office. I just went over to a PA firearm owner forum and several members put the timeframe for a Pike LTCF at 30 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania