Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 09:41 AM

42 posts, read 192,143 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
It has been a while since I visited, you were all very helpful when we were trying to decide where to move to in the area. Well, we finally decided on Dunmore, we found our dream home and the public school seems very nice -- we moved into the house just a few days ago and I am so impressed with the neighborhood!! Everyone has been so incredibly friendly and welcoming, my kids already have playdates, and it is truly a wonderful place. I remember an old thread talking about how unfriendly and closed people were....try living in the midwest, I was there 10 years and no-one ever went past "hello". My kids had no friends and neither did we. Here we have 15 minute conversations at least 4 times daily with various neighbors and people are talking about "block party" coming up soon. We love it here, I wish we would have moved sooner!!!! Now we need to find good doctors and good restaurants, any suggestions (if you can't say names in the forum you can send me a pm).
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2007, 09:45 AM

2,940 posts, read 3,965,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2pa View Post
Now we need to find good doctors and good restaurants, any suggestions (if you can't say names in the forum you can send me a pm).
Thank you!
Lots of good restaurants around, especially in Dunmore. I always liked Ragnacci's Italian restaurant on S. Blakely St. Also, Two Brothers Pizza on Drinker St. is excellent.

Old 07-30-2007, 10:46 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,288 times
Cara Mia's on E. Drinker has excellent sandwiches. Sibio's on Quincy Ave. has excellent Italian food. Giovanni's pizza in the Cestone Plaza on N. Blakely has great pizza. This restaurant in the little strip mall behind Burger King that also houses Subway and Dunkin' Donuts. Enjoy!!!

Old 07-30-2007, 11:06 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,362 times
NIce, NEPA is frinedly no matter people say. Dunmore is a great place to raise a family as well. Did you get to the Saint Joseph's picnic this weekend? That would have been a good place to meet lots of people.

Too many restuarants to mention. Thats one of the best parts of the area. Start trying them all out. You'll find some you love.

Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,591,433 times
I'm ecstatic to hear that you're adjusting quite well to the area. I was wondering what had happened to you. Dunmore is a great town, even though I still don't understand why the school district's athletic name is the "Dunmore Bucks." You're close to Downtown Scranton, Dickson City, and Clarks Summit, among other areas of interest.

As far as restaurants are concerned, Dunmore is heavily-Italian, so expect to find a healthy spattering of mom-and-pop pasta and pizza joints. I've also heard great things about the Dunmore Candy Kitchen near Dunmore Corners, and let's not forget that Gertrude Hawk Chocolates is headquartered on the town's border with Throop. Yum, yum! Our family dentist, physician, optometrist, etc. are all located down here near Pittston in Luzerne County, so I can't be of much help to you in the medical category. Sorry!

It's wonderful to hear that people have been so quick to welcome you to your new neighborhood. Regardless of what you see at the Scranton City Council meetings, read in the editorials of the Scranton Times-Tribune, observe on these forums, etc., NEPA is still a wonderful place to raise a family. Welcome to Dunmore!

Old 07-30-2007, 02:55 PM

16 posts, read 102,292 times
This is my first post but since I've moved to Philadelphia I have been missing the food from home. The Nepa cuisine is unparalleled. Considering I was raised in Green Ridge and Dunmore, I will make some neighborhood suggestions.

Dinner:
Russell's on Ash St. They have been an area staple for over 90 years.
Casa Bella in North Scranton.
Osaka on courthouse square in Scranton for Japanese.
Lunch:
Cara Mia's on Drinker St. in Dunmore.
Hank's Hoagies on Woodlawn St. in Green Ridge.
Brunetti's on Sanderson Ave in Green Ridge.
These three places are classics and I guarentee you will love them.
Wings:
The Patch off Monroe Ave. in Dunmore.
The Loading Dock off the O'Neil Highway in Dunmore.
Mickey Gannon's across the street from Brunetti's in Green Ridge.
All three neighborhood bars offer great bar food.
Pizza:
There are too many unique variations to point you in a certain direction but I will suggest a few.
Nicholas' across from the jail.
Pizza House on Court St. near Weston Field.
Sal's on courthouse square.
Papa's in downtown Scranton.
And of course any Old Forge pizza.

Oddly enough, I will be in Dunmore this weekend for a graduation party and intend on eating out often.

Congratulations on the move to Dunmore. There is no place like it and I could not have asked to grow up in a better neighborhood. We moved to the neighborhood two blocks from the high school in 1993 from Green Ridge. I have a multitude of memories from growing up with about 30 kids in a 6 block radius that will last a lifetime and miss the neighborhood block party.

Old 08-01-2007, 08:45 AM

42 posts, read 192,143 times
Thank you all for the suggestions. We ordered Giovanni's Pizza the other night and it was yummy.
Tomorrow night we're trying Cooper's seafood house, our realtor gave us a gift certificate to eat there. I'm sure we'll eventually try many of the other restaurants in the area: however, being born and raised in Italy myself, I can cook great Italian food at home so I don't usually go out to eat Italian in the US because my own cooking is usually way better ...........
We haven't gotten to any festivals yet, our house is one giant mess, once things are in order we'll get out more I'm sure..........
Anyways, I just wanted to update and thanks again to you all for the suggestions!

Old 08-01-2007, 09:53 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,374 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the suggestions. We ordered Giovanni's Pizza the other night and it was yummy.
Tomorrow night we're trying Cooper's seafood house, our realtor gave us a gift certificate to eat there. I'm sure we'll eventually try many of the other restaurants in the area: however, being born and raised in Italy myself, I can cook great Italian food at home so I don't usually go out to eat Italian in the US because my own cooking is usually way better ...........
We haven't gotten to any festivals yet, our house is one giant mess, once things are in order we'll get out more I'm sure..........
Anyways, I just wanted to update and thanks again to you all for the suggestions!
So when are you having an open house for CD memebers and cooking some of that great Italian food??

Old 08-02-2007, 10:14 AM

Location: Lived Large in Parsippany NJ - Lived Larger in Livingston, NJ -- Now Living Huge in Bethlehem PA
466 posts, read 2,199,838 times
Default Me Too

Quote:
Hi all,
It has been a while since I visited, you were all very helpful when we were trying to decide where to move to in the area. Well, we finally decided on Dunmore, we found our dream home and the public school seems very nice -- we moved into the house just a few days ago and I am so impressed with the neighborhood!! Everyone has been so incredibly friendly and welcoming, my kids already have playdates, and it is truly a wonderful place. I remember an old thread talking about how unfriendly and closed people were....try living in the midwest, I was there 10 years and no-one ever went past "hello". My kids had no friends and neither did we. Here we have 15 minute conversations at least 4 times daily with various neighbors and people are talking about "block party" coming up soon. We love it here, I wish we would have moved sooner!!!! Now we need to find good doctors and good restaurants, any suggestions (if you can't say names in the forum you can send me a pm).
Thank you!
================

I am glad you are impressed with your new neighborhood - we just moved to the Bethlehem area from NJ and we are loving it...thanks to all those who responded to my postings including those that found time to just read them as well and also hats off to Paul (you are the best)...

Old 08-02-2007, 04:42 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,659,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
So when are you having an open house for CD memebers and cooking some of that great Italian food??
I second the motion.........
So happy that you have the home of your dreams.......and that all the posters who lead you there were right.
Whew.......One right...........10,000 to go!!!!
Glad that its friendly.......as we know Pa is.
Glad you like your neighbors and schools.....
So happy that your journey has lead to a perfect home and place
Gezzzzz.....if we only could do this magic for everyone.........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania