Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 07:15 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times

Advertisements

I think WB could be on a upward swing but it seems so long in the offing. We really need to get JOBS here but that isn't just a problem in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 08:32 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,260,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think WB could be on a upward swing but it seems so long in the offing. We really need to get JOBS here but that isn't just a problem in this area.
Our leaders here in Luzerne County are self serving and corrupt. There is a lack of community pride and interest by the citizens to try to correct the problems we have. Nobody tries to fix W-b because they are to busy lining thier own pockets. Alot of the cities current residents are from other areas, and they aren't invested our care about W-B, there is no organized, grassroots effort to get the ball rolling. Like I said in past postings, there SHOULD be organizations forming events, planning festivals. We have a Chamber of Commerce that is suppost to attract jobs, but all the key leadership spots are filled with politically connected hacks who are merely there to collect a paycheck and go home. The downtown is bouncing back, but nobody from outside the city knows about it, because there is no effort to promote or show off the recent improvements. W-B remains a city that cannot and will not recognize it's potential. We have two downtown colleges, we have a riverfront and massive park complex on both sides of the river, we have a central Square. We are the center city in the three city metro area. These are all major selling points, but nobody is trying to sell it. The citizens of W-B need to organize and take pride, demand better leadership that cares. People in W-B just have a general lack of interest in the future of the city. Where in Scranton, everybody seems to care. If the mayor of Scranton farts up there there are dozens of protesters out the next day at city hall screaming and yelling. In Wilkes-Barre the mayor could turn out to be a serial killer, pedophile, rapist and people will simply shrug there shoulders, make a wisecrack, and go on with thier buisness. Look at the world famous, notorious corruption at our courthouse...no one protested, no one got out in front of the courthouse and picketed. If this happened in Scranton, there would be hundreds of people kicking down the doors, and mass protest. There is a lack of concern here, and transients from other cities that currently make up a large chunk of the city simply have no horse in the race. They don't care.

Last edited by W-B proud; 04-24-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 04-24-2011, 02:14 PM

23,966 posts, read 32,289,435 times
You know W-B proud, I agree. I want to like Leighton, I like the whole "I Believe" thing and WB's initiative. He sounds good. But what's up with the fountain? And many, many. other things.

Old 04-24-2011, 04:50 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,260,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
You know W-B proud, I agree. I want to like Leighton, I like the whole "I Believe" thing and WB's initiative. He sounds good. But what's up with the fountain? And many, many. other things.
Yeah, sometimes I think he could be doing so much more. He is a very behind the scene's, out of the spotlight type of mayor, which is good and bad IMO. I'm happy he isn't a gloating, cocky mayor like some other area city mayors, but I think alot more needs to be done to highlight the strides we have made...if for nothing more then to try to counter the bad reputation that continues to haunt Wilkes-Barre. And yes another love him hate him attitude I have is that he is overly tight with the cash. I am happy he doesn't spend money foolishly like a drunken sailor, but on the other hand there are key projects and events that he refuses to invest in that would boost community pride and make W-B a more inviting city i.e. the fountain on Public Square (this is literally the centerpiece of the Wyoming Valley, to leave it in disrepair makes the city look broke and shabby and sends a message that we are defeated, it is bad for morale), his refusal to have W-B host a New Years event downtown even though every other city in the region both bigger and smaller does, and especially his refusal to invest in public swimming pools which I believe make the city neighborhoods much more inviting to potential future residents. These are key investments and missed oppurtunities. He does leave alot to be desired in some aspects, but overall things seem to be getting done under his watch (at a faster rate then any other mayor since I've been paying attention), and when I look at the other candidates running against him, it's scary, it is a no brainer...I'm voting for Leighton

Old 04-24-2011, 09:33 PM

I agree. He is tightfisted and involved with some things that I do not completely understand as a new comer. But I agree, there are really no other sane options.
Perhaps a letter writing campaign? Along the lines of "do this or else."

Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM

I would completely support initiatives to combat blighted properties. They are a huge eyesore and really make the city look shabby. I also would support ordinances against absentee landlords.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:28 PM

513 posts, read 1,077,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I would completely support initiatives to combat blighted properties. They are a huge eyesore and really make the city look shabby. I also would support ordinances against absentee landlords.
And will you support public funding of the costs of condemning and razing homes/properties which end up abandoned because no city residents can afford them, an no absentee landlord need apply?

Old 04-25-2011, 07:12 PM

There is no question that blighted properties and absentee landlords do not contribute to the quality of life in Wilkes-Barre.
Funny, there was one shabby house on my block. I was taking my dags for a walk back in December and I noticed it. Several days later the house was demolished which is a good thing because it was way too far gone to restore.But now I noticed the property next door is for sale, and the Realtor is Leighton!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
And will you support public funding of the costs of condemning and razing homes/properties which end up abandoned because no city residents can afford them, an no absentee landlord need apply?
Yes.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

It would get my support as well, DeNepa. I live in Wilkes-Barre, and I am really sick of people who try to make a profit off this city. I scared one poster off this board. Not afraid to do it again.
Also not afraid if my property taxes go up. They are so low it's ridiculous, and my property value would increase with out all of this blighted homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania