Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 04:34 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,094,204 times

Advertisements

How much more diruptive do you think that a fly community could be? Do you think that everyone is just going to come home from work and crank up the planes? Its no different then living on a lake and using your boat. Small engine planes might make a bit of noise when they are climbing out from the strip but certainly they make very little noise when landing since their stall speed is so low and the rate of desent is or should be slight in this instance. Honestly this not that bad and is actually very common in this country.

There are more than 500 residential airparks in the United States, according to Living With Your Plane. These fly-in communities soften the second-home commute by offering recreational pilots direct access to their homes by aircraft. Residences often include their own airplane hangars.

Living With Your Plane

As far as the John Travolta issue he went thru proper zoning hearings to get the permision to land his Boeing there. The length of the runway will determine if they can land anything larger than a cessena. They would need at least 3,000' to get a small Leer or a Citation in there, but smaller still could handle a King Air 300 turbo. Either way its a great idea for our area and the noise really would not be a issue due to the fact that the air traffic is not constant there and really they would probably end up being second homes to most of the owners I am sure. I live in Scranton and I certainly here the jets and the planes, and I can say that I would not mind the small engine planes only! I guess there will always be someone that is going to complain no matter what.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2007, 07:05 AM

414 posts, read 1,779,130 times
^^^Thank you. I'm so relieved. But is there a pamphlet titled "Living With Their Plane" ?

I hope you'll continue to luv PA which, as you might know, is under a great deal of pressure from several fronts to grow in various & sundry ways that do promise to shift the balance considerably away from relaxed/rural to more intense/ suburban-urban outside the older cities. Every desirable rural township in NEPA has planning boards wrestling with decisions about new developments......not small ones....very large ones......Now those of you who hail from suburban situations probably very likely won't care much, but those of us who revere the woods & wilds that we grew up with see the need to balance the new, inevitable growth in sensible ways.....I love the country life and the city life as well, having lived in NYC for some time...... as such, I also see the need to separate the two for the benefit of either/both.......

Last edited by WasPA; 08-01-2007 at 07:14 AM..

Old 08-01-2007, 07:22 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WasPA View Post
Now those of you who hail from suburban situations probably very likely won't care much, but those of us who revere the woods & wilds that we grew up with see the need to balance the new, inevitable growth in sensible ways
I disagree. I currently live in the tract-housing-oriented, big-box store-crazed, sprawling autocentric hemmorrhoid known as Greater Pittston, yet I'm probably the MOST vocal person on this forum regarding issues pertaining to urban sprawl and what it is doing to ruin our quality-of-life in NEPA. While the "dum-dums" from Scranton go shopping at Montage and are impressed to see yet another Aeropostale, Victoria's Secret, Hallmark, Starbucks, American Eagle, etc. in that poor excuse for a lifestyle center, I'm the one heckling them for being such lemmings who are willing to sell out once-pristine woodlands like Montage Mountain (as well as their OWN impending downtown renaissance in Scranton) for something shiny and new (yet still ugly).

Our region's cities are in horrid decline, yet our suburbs look like The Hamptons. What's wrong with this picture? Only in NEPA could a real estate magnate build a 30,000 square-foot mansion in the Back Mountain or could a developer destroy an entire MOUNTAIN in the name of the almighty dollar without any sort of outcry from anyone besides yours truly. I find it humorous that so many people attend city council meetings in Scranton to kvetch about the rapidly-declining tax base, yet not one of them is concerned about what the continued depletion of natural wetlands and vegetation in the elevations ABOVE their city for McMansions might do to exacerbate future flooding woes.

Yes, according to a source of mine, Scranton/Wilkes-Barre grew for the first time in many decades from 2005-2006 and is expected to continue on its upward path. If our region could sprawl itself out by over 20 square miles from 1970-1990, a time in which we were shrinking incredibly in terms of population, I can only imagine how much more acreage we'll be covering now that the NY/NJ crowd is starting to find out about out great quality-of-life. Sprawl is a terrible thing when it comes at the expense of older, established neighborhoods, which it is doing in our area. It pains me to see wonderful older homes sitting vacant in Scranton while people wet their pants in anticipation of the next phase of "FrouFrou Estates" in the Abingtons. Even here in Greater Pittston, the hundreds of new building lots we have currently under development is SICKENING. "Commuter-friendly" my rear-end!

Old 08-01-2007, 08:12 AM

1,001 posts, read 1,989,082 times
I Was talking to a guy down here in FLA who is originally from Scranton. He has been out of the area for 20 yrs. He recently went back to see some family. When we were talking he said he couldn't get over the progress he had seen in teh area since he left. He worked for this areas planning board and he said how difficult it is to take an older city with limited infrustructure and turn it around. He said down here, you get to plan from scratch. Up there you have to work with what you have and expand outward. HE was very surprised that a city Like Scranton, which faced the post idustrial downward spiral is able to keep kicking despite how minimal those kick may be.

He mentioned things like the Office generating buzz about the town. Also, be it a very small thing, the Sorvino thing could potentially be great for the area. I told him about the troubles up there and he starting telliing me about some of the stuff he delt with down here.

One thing that caught my attention was when he said " At least you didn't have an Indian population there" I first thought that sounded a little racist. I realized after he told me about how they have the power to stonewall anything they want due to their power in numbers and supporters. He said schools, shooping centers, developments ect....all where met with not only disdain but with No's from the decison makers after the American Indian community leaders said no. They also organized PAC's specifiaclly to dig up dirt on elected offcials. When they found something it was leaked to the papers.

It was interesting talking to him because he was an older guy who had walked the talk. He didnt pull any holier than thou BS and was straight to the point. He moved because he hated the weather, but said if he where younger and saw the upward momentum of NEPA then, he would have reconsidered his move. His last points where that the Chamber of Commerce really needs to start a campaing with all their strengh to get larger Corp's into the area. Specifcally in Scranton. He knew About the KOZ and said they are a great Idea be it they are generating work and upping the residential Tax BAse, They are doing neither and mostly benefitting frineds of Administrators.

All in all the sprawl in inevitable. Hopefully the people planning these communities take into consideration that NEPA is not an urban setting it is a rural seeting for the most part. Like the areas surronding Boston, we need to limit the construction, make it impossible to created ten stripmalls in an 5 mile radius and destry the very wilderness that has been a strong point to the community since Day one. Allow homes, dont allow obnoxious spwral. Allow Scranton to Grow but not at the scrafices of its current citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania