Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:40 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DE_NePA View Post
Which is what separates many tiers of retail. Not product quality, but the packaging and marketing wrapped around it.
I'll go ahead and disagree since I can't remember the last time I've had issues with items purchased at Target (their Up and Up brand) vs. Wal-mart brand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 07:31 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'll go ahead and disagree since I can't remember the last time I've had issues with items purchased at Target (their Up and Up brand) vs. Wal-mart brand.
I find most store brands to be equal....I'd say with some things, Wegman's store brand is better than a lot of name brands, though. But for the most part, store brands, whether it be Wal-Mart, Target, Price Chopper, Shur Save, etc etc, are all the same....I've bought identical items in different store brands and found them to be EXACTLY the same other than the label. Most of these store brands are made in the same plants. In fact, many store brand items are actually made by the name brand companies. I've found store brand Chef Boyardee in the can to be exactly the same as the name brand.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:34 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:
Which is what separates many tiers of retail. Not product quality, but the packaging and marketing wrapped around it.
Well, its definitely not product quality with Target....I have bought 2 different pairs of shoes from Target in the past, and it didn't take long for the soles to wear right through....I'd find out there was a horizontal crack in the bottom of the shoes when I stepped in a puddle. I don't recall ever buying shoes at Wal-Mart, but I have a pair of shoes that I bought at K-Mart maybe 7 years ago that are still in good shape, and are actually very comfortable.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:16 PM

513 posts, read 1,079,667 times
Quote:
Mags,
You're so eager to disagree with me, you don't even read my posts, even when you quote them into your reply. See if you can figure out why I say this, without my explaining it to you.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:18 PM

You said product quality doesn't separate tiers of retailers. Marketing and packaging do. I disagreed.

Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM

Actually, I said "Which is what separates many tiers of retail. Not product quality, but the packaging and marketing wrapped around it."

See how I was talking about retailers, not store brands? Then you cited your own experience with store brands from Target vs Walmart. I was not speaking specifically to Target vs Walmart, and I was not limiting my scope to store brand only. There is the look and feel of the store, the attitude of the staff in the store, etc, etc. You can get the same exact vacuum cleaner or DVD or whatever in a lot of different stores. The quality of the product is exactly the same, because the product is exactly the same. But you can have very different buying experiences from Target to Walmart to Kohls to Sears to Macys.
Verstehen?

Old 04-25-2011, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, I said "Which is what separates many tiers of retail. Not product quality, but the packaging and marketing wrapped around it."

See how I was talking about retailers, not store brands? Then you cited your own experience with store brands from Target vs Walmart. I was not speaking specifically to Target vs Walmart, and I was not limiting my scope to store brand only. There is the look and feel of the store, the attitude of the staff in the store, etc, etc. You can get the same exact vacuum cleaner or DVD or whatever in a lot of different stores. The quality of the product is exactly the same, because the product is exactly the same. But you can have very different buying experiences from Target to Walmart to Kohls to Sears to Macys.
Verstehen?
Since *I* was talking about Target vs. Walmart in the post to which YOU responded, I answered within that framework.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Since *I* was talking about Target vs. Walmart in the post to which YOU responded, I answered within that framework.
So your responses have *nothing* to do with anything some one else writes, even when you quote it within your posts. And the thread was about the store, not the store brand, but you don't address that part of what I pointed out. Is that you simply are incapable of admitting you did not read/comprehend the post you replied to? In either case, you are a seemingly intelligent but amazingly contrary , egocentric, and stubborn person. You love debate, but never acknowledge validity of anything anyone else writes, unless it is in lockstep with you own opinion. If it is not, you either downplay it as rooted in ignorance or irrelevant, or move on to other points without acknowledging the former at all.

Last edited by DE_NePA; 04-25-2011 at 07:33 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 08:06 PM

Quote:
So your responses have *nothing* to do with anything some one else writes, even when you quote it within your posts. And the thread was about the store, not the store brand, but you don't address that part of what I pointed out. Is that you simply are incapable of admitting you did not read/comprehend the post you replied to? In either case, you are a seemingly intelligent but amazingly contrary , egocentric, and stubborn person. You love debate, but never acknowledge validity of anything anyone else writes, unless it is in lockstep with you own opinion. If it is not, you either downplay it as rooted in ignorance or irrelevant, or move on to other points without acknowledging the former at all.

I'm not incapable of admitting I'm wrong. I've done so many times and will continue to do so. I can do without the personal attacks which is why I try to refrain from dishing them out. It really retracts from a person's argument when they do so.

I have no qualms in stating I know when I am wrong and will readily admit it.

Old 04-25-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
I'm not incapable of admitting I'm wrong. I've done so many times and will continue to do so. I can do without the personal attacks which is why I try to refrain from dishing them out. It really retracts from a person's argument when they do so.

I have no qualms in stating I know when I am wrong and will readily admit it.
And in this case you will take the "refuse to acknowledge the point" tact. Predictable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania