Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 02:54 PM

539 posts, read 1,068,242 times

Advertisements

Yes, I think they are going out of their way a bit to get people to come back while it's new, and get into that habit, so we may as well while it lasts. I always watch for my bottom line too, and shop at Aldi regularly for some staples that are cheaper than anywhere else. But I've been just about everywhere, Wegmans & Walmart are competitive on the basic groceries, Schiels, Gerrity's and sometimes Giant are a bit higher but can beat out Wegmans on some bakery/deli items sometimes, Weis & Maine Source have a lot of good deals too, but you have to pick and choose sometimes and make the rounds. Variety is the spice of life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
As with any new enterprise, Target will offer some "try us, you'll like us" coupons and special deals. Most every business offers incentives when they're new. But I'm not crazy about Target to start with, so I'm not beating a path to their grocery door when I have a Redner's, two Price Choppers, two Gerrity's, a Thomas', an Aldi and a Keyco and MaineSource within a four mile stretch on the West Side. I can cross the mighty Susquehanna and go to Mr Z's (Weis) in Plains.
For certain stuff I can only get at Wegman's, I'll make a monthly trip. And yes, Frank, the bakery/deli and other specialty departments at Wegman's are pricey, but you can't get the quality at the other stores, so it's worth it for a once-in-a-while treat. And their competitively priced house brands are as good as the national brands. Add to these, the dollar stores that offer some grocery products for a buck.
All in all, we in NEPA have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to grocery stores.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:36 PM

1,245 posts, read 3,181,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank754 View Post
Yes, I think they are going out of their way a bit to get people to come back while it's new, and get into that habit, so we may as well while it lasts. I always watch for my bottom line too, and shop at Aldi regularly for some staples that are cheaper than anywhere else. But I've been just about everywhere, Wegmans & Walmart are competitive on the basic groceries, Schiels, Gerrity's and sometimes Giant are a bit higher but can beat out Wegmans on some bakery/deli items sometimes, Weis & Maine Source have a lot of good deals too, but you have to pick and choose sometimes and make the rounds. Variety is the spice of life.
My wife likes Aldi's, but I have noticed when she buys fruits and fresh veggies there, it seems to go bad quicker then when I buy it at Wegman's.

She shops at Main Source frequently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
As with any new enterprise, Target will offer some "try us, you'll like us" coupons and special deals. Most every business offers incentives when they're new. But I'm not crazy about Target to start with, so I'm not beating a path to their grocery door when I have a Redner's, two Price Choppers, two Gerrity's, a Thomas', an Aldi and a Keyco and MaineSource within a four mile stretch on the West Side. I can cross the mighty Susquehanna and go to Mr Z's (Weis) in Plains.
For certain stuff I can only get at Wegman's, I'll make a monthly trip. And yes, Frank, the bakery/deli and other specialty departments at Wegman's are pricey, but you can't get the quality at the other stores, so it's worth it for a once-in-a-while treat. And their competitively priced house brands are as good as the national brands. Add to these, the dollar stores that offer some grocery products for a buck.
All in all, we in NEPA have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to grocery stores.
I wish we had a Giant closer to us(Kingston) and the Weis on River St is a bit of a dump. I like Weis, but won't go there.

Price Chopper is so overpriced it's sad. Save for a few of the BOGO's, which even those they raise the price on the original.

I like Redner's, never went to Gerrity's other than to pick up a couple things.

Oh and it is a bit more than a four mile stretch from wyoming to edwardsville.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:42 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,287,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
The fact that Target put in a grocery store has turned us off to the store. We haven't been there in weeks. Before, we were there several times per week.

Old 06-20-2011, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post

Oh and it is a bit more than a four mile stretch from wyoming to edwardsville.
You're right. It's six miles.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:06 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times
My apologies for the very light moderation on this thread and allowing all kinds of off topic stuff to happen. My son graduated from HS on Friday and it was a little crazy around here and then I went up to the Poconos(!) for a couple of days to stay with my folks who stayed in a time-share in the Bushkill area.

Thanks to those of you that persisted in getting the thread talk back to Target in NEPA.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:09 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,945,768 times
It's four.

On topic: I don't know how far it is to Target. Anybody?

Old 06-20-2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
The fact that Target put in a grocery store has turned us off to the store. We haven't been there in weeks. Before, we were there several times per week.
It's a bit odd that a store would turn you on in the first place. Love or possibly lust, is fleeting.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
My apologies for the very light moderation on this thread and allowing all kinds of off topic stuff to happen. My son graduated from HS on Friday and it was a little crazy around here and then I went up to the Poconos(!) for a couple of days to stay with my folks who stayed in a time-share in the Bushkill area.

Thanks to those of you that persisted in getting the thread talk back to Target in NEPA.

Isn't this off topic?

Congrats!!

Old 06-20-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lehigh Valley Native View Post
It's a bit odd that a store would turn you on in the first place. Love or possibly lust, is fleeting.
Neither love nor lust. Neither of us can stand huge stores that try to be everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania